Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Psychologically abused and my friends don't believe me

scarletOwl October 12th, 2019

About two years ago I realized that I'm in an emotionally and psychologically abusive marriage. I have one friend who understands, but the others don't believe me.

It's hard enough to call abuse what it is. It's so hard to say it out loud. And since I've been psychologically abused for 10+ years, I get confused easily. That alone makes it hard to believe myself. Plus it's scary and awful to be in the abuse cycle... where sometimes he's wonderful and I think it's all okay.. and then other days he becomes this awful person that I hardly recognize.

I just wish people would believe me when I told them. It hurts to be invalidated by my friends and the people around me... just because it looks "fine" from the outside. Feeling heartbroken, invalidated, and alone.

amusingMaple3760 October 14th, 2019

@scarletOwl

Thank you for having the courage to say it out loud here. For what it's worth: I believe you.

Telling people that your have been and are being abused is a very hard step. And not everyone will understand. But trust yourself in knowing that the way you are being treated is wrong, hurtful and damaging.

Please stay close to the friend who believes you. It's such a valuable support for you. If possible try to find additional, maybe even professional, support to help you with your thoughts and confusion.

When I left my emotionally and physically abusive relationship of 7 years, I didn't trust any of my thoughts. It is very confusing (as you know). I had great help from my parents and from a counselor specialized in domestic abuse. I hope that you will find something similar in your hometown.

Should you need to hear another confirmation of people understanding and believing what you go through or let out any other thoughts and questions, please post here again.

Wishing you all the best and lots of strength.