Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Living with chronic illness

JenniferRaymond June 14th, 2022

Hello! I have a medical condition called mast cell activation syndrome. Its an allergic type disorder that causes severe allergy symptoms and anaphylaxis to everything and anything. It keeps me mostly homebound. I have been sick with it since childhood but it was less severe back then and nobody believed me when I talked about my symptoms so i was forced to continue life as normal and got in trouble frequently simply for being too tired and sick to function. I have a lot of trauma related to the mistreatment i received, and I am still constantly trying to get support from family members who are determined not to support me in the way that I need. I carry a ton of guilt for being a burden and not being able to be there for those around me. I feel a lot of resentment coming from extended family about things i can't control. I also have type 1 diabetes and I have severe reactions to most diabetes medications. I have only 1 insulin that I can take and I'm.fighting my health insurance to cover it so that's giving me a lot of anxiety at the moment. I came here to vent because I'm pretty sure my social media friends and family are tired of hearing it. Sorry for whining and thanks so much for listening!

adventurousBranch3786 June 15th, 2022

@JenniferRaymond. I can relate to things you said about not being believed or supported and being to sick and tired to function. Having an “invisible illness “ is very difficult and stressful. I’m glad you came here for support. Diabetes type 1 plus getting your correct medication is a lot to deal with also. I hope that we can support you here.

JenniferRaymond OP June 15th, 2022

@adventurousBranch3786. thank you so much for your kindness and support! I'm so sorry that you struggle with invisible illness also. Its a very hard life💕

AffyAvo June 17th, 2022

@JenniferRaymond

Hey, I can understand a lot of this. I have hereditary angioedema which wasn't diagnosed until my 30s but I had many attacks as a child and my parents didn't believe a lot of my symptoms as I did see doctors who didn't pick up on it.

I also have a lot of allergy issues and am currently to wait to hear back on my tryptase test, although thankfully if I do have a mast cell disorder so far it may have only caused one anaphylactic reactions. Still a mess to have that with hereditary angioedema!

You can check out disability support too, you may find some of the things there relevant.

JenniferRaymond OP June 17th, 2022

@AffyAvo. Sending love and hugs you're way. Good luck with your testing!💕

AffyAvo June 20th, 2022

@JenniferRaymond Thanks! I will find out soon, not sure if the next step would mean more testing. Could just be allergies too, fingers cross that's all it is.

I hope you're able to keep the MCAS and diabetes controlled well. It's scary that things can get so bad so fast with some conditions.