Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Life threatened

coffeehog November 23rd, 2016

I was in work (Im a carer for young people) and was at a new place and the young person in my care threatened to kill me and had a knife in her hand. So I ran to the office and locked the door. The young person persistently tries to kick in the door. At this point Im scared out of my mind

Im now wondering if I wanna carry on with this work

tornwillow November 23rd, 2016

@coffeehog thanks for sharing this, having said that im so sorry to hear of this experience you had! The field you work in is very similar to work I have done and can be both rewarding and confronting! Some of the horrible scenarios, such as the one you speak of, you don't often think could or would happen to you and then wham! I hope you consider the state of the young person and the benefit and impact you as a worker are having and making! Luckily you are okay and I'm sure training and review ensures the wellbeing of both staff and youth at all times, I pray you all grow from this

Hopeful0001 November 23rd, 2016

@coffeehog

Oh my god. No one should ever have to fear for their lives when they are at work. I am so sorry to hear that this happened to you. Is there anything that you can do?

coffeehog OP November 23rd, 2016

@HalliwellSister Im thinking of going back to my old job a a care worker for the elderly. But wife doesn't want me to because current job I see family more

@coffeehog

I can see the struggle to want to go somewhere that is safer and to stay somewhere that while it's not as safe, you can see your family more. Have you told her about this incident?

@HalliwellSister I have and she got upset and I don't blame her. I just dunno what to do.

@coffeehog

Yeah I don't blame her for getting upset! I would have gotten upset too if someone I cared for told me this. This type of incident, is it possible that it won't happen again? Is this the norm at your job?

@HalliwellSister I work with children and young people with complex needs so I could happen again in future

@coffeehog

Ah so you work with basically special needs kids and the girl had a tantrum and threatened your life? I am sorry that this happened and that it could possibly happen again. Is there anything you can do to make sure you stay safe?

@HalliwellSister the only thing is either leave the job or stay in office

@coffeehog

So there is no middle ground to that? Could you learn self defense?

@HalliwellSister Im not aloud to use self defense only restraint but was on my own with a young female so couldn't do anything

@coffeehog

Oh that doesnt sound fair. but it is understandable I guess. I am sorry you're in this situation <3

10ship November 23rd, 2016

@coffeehog 1. I know self defense and I can tell you that the best unarmed defense against a knife is to run.

2. How did she get the knife. Was there a slip-up somewhere?

3. Being alone with a young girl who wants to hurt you is a minefield. Can you spell "statutory"?

4. The situation you describe has more red flags than a beach on a stormy day.

5. Do what you think is best. Good luck.