Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Should I face my fear?

1rrl1cht July 6th

I need closure. I need to talk to this person and just tell them that they have hurt me. I am emotionally scarred. I didn't tell them how their words affected me due to shock/freeze response. This was almost a year ago. I feel like I'm living a lie if I just ignored it. Honesty is an important value of mine. But everyone tells me not to reach out, I'd be making a fool of myself if I did. How can I trust myself if I'm told that my gut instincts are wrong / will only cause damage?

Tinywhisper11 July 6th

@1rrl1cht I'm not sure about the whole story behind this, but sometimes others advice is not what's best for you personally. Gut feelings are not easy to ignore, but think about it carefully ❤ good luck

mytwistedsoul July 6th

@1rrl1cht Sometimes we need to be the ones to grant ourselves closure. Looking for closure from someone who's already hurt you before usually ends badly (just my experience). At the same time it's hard to ignore those gut instincts. Ultimately you need to do what you feel is right for you. If this is something you need to do in order to move forward. Just be prepared for it to go either way

akunknown July 6th

@1rrl1cht

Yes you should face your own fear(s) Speaking from experience, not only will you thank yourself but you’ll be proud of yourself. Don’t worry about how long it takes. Just be patient with yourself and keep pushing, keep working, keep going forward and you’ll eventually not only face your fear but you’ll overcome it too. 

Can I just ask what your expectations would be from this other person? Are you hoping for an apology, or an emotional reaponse? Because, truly, we are the only ones who can give ourselves closure.

Some people really don’t care to care. I cannot tell you how many times I wanted to drive to a certain someone’s house or call them up, but I never have because I know it won’t help me. At the end of the day, it would only cause me more pain. And I am so glad I chose myself over that losing battle!

This may sound silly, but what if you wrote a letter? You may not even have to send it once you get all your feelings out.