Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I feel like I'm drowning more and more

Daisy22x June 8th

Dealing with PTSD is very difficult and perhaps impossible

IndigoWhisper June 17th

I would say difficult, but not impossible.

It takes understanding your trauma, ideally having good support, coping skills, possible medication, self education, hard work and time.

If I may ask how "!fresh" is the source of your main trauma and what general category or categories does it fall in? Is there anything that helps you recover from an episode?

I am more of a c-PTSD aka childhood filled with constant smaller traumas that have left the world filled with micro-triggers case and it's been many years since the worst stuff happened. So when nor actively triggered, time does help.

For those with the more traditional form of PTSD it can be a bit different but still similar.

One small thing that has helped me is finding triggers and giving my mind something harmless that uses those same words or images so it's harder to get pulled into a flashback. It used to be so many phrases that would have me reliving stuff now I can usually take the TV show/movie/music quote path instead.

People may think they see a fangirl but the truth is I need to fill my mind with harmless random data that can drown out my trauma. Maybe it would work for you as well?

Mind you finding your exact triggers is not a fun ride, so you need distractions and ways to cope.

It takes realizing you got pulled into a flashback recently and guessing and wanting to find the actual trigger, guessing what it was, and being ready to try to ride it/cope if you find it - then recording what it was and was not if you can. Then looking for *anything* else that is close enough to use to divert your mind and trying to think of both together.

From then on any time you get triggered or come close reinforce that alternate thought.

Once it works *that* one specific trigger will gradually lose power if it works for you like it did for me.

I hope this helps, even a little

PinkyMingo787 June 17th

While I know healing is possible, I’m right there with you and your feelings. I’ve been doing therapy for about two years now and while some issues have gotten better, there’s a lot that gets worst before you move past it. Keep your head up, you got this!