Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Does it EVER go away?!

sweetclover82 August 24th, 2018

Im going to go ahead and spill my guts, largely because Im not sure where else to go with this. It isnt something I enjoy talking about.

15 years ago, I was involved with a man who was BAD NEWS. After two years of abuse, I was finally able to leave him. Less than four months later, he went on a violent rampage and killed several people before taking his own life.

Ive spent many years dealing with the fallout. Struggling with overwhelming guilt, PTSD, depression. But, I pulled myself up and through the struggles and his image has been absent from my dreams for over five years.

Until Wednesday night.

He appeared in my dream, as my current husband. All I recall was that I was snuggling up to my husband (all my spouses mannerisms and inflections), until I realized it was the bad man (physically). I recoiled in horror. My first thought when I woke up was my gods, Im still in love with [the bad man.]

This dream has completely f*(ked me up. I thought I was past all this. I havent wanted to snuggle my man, my stomach is in knots and Ive been choking back tears for two days. I hate spilling my guts like this but I really need to get it out. I spoke to my husband about it, but it just made him frustrated and angry. I think he thought I was past it all too. Im just frustrated and confused. When will he stop f$&@ing with me?! Will I EVER be over it?!

FreeBreeze August 24th, 2018

@sweetclover82 I am sure you will! It took me as well some years to get over a toxic person that I loved and drove me nuts, the dreams come because your brain randomly resurfaces memories (also the painful ones) but you shouldn't worry too much. You are not abnormal. Talk about it here with some therapist or listeners to get rid of some weight

FreeBreeze August 24th, 2018

@sweetclover82 also you should be glad to have had the strength of saving yourself out of that crazy relationship! It would have been much worse if you had stayed with him because of your sense of guilt.. he would have dragged you down with him

WhimsicalKat26 September 9th, 2018

@sweetclover82 Breeze is correct, you are not abnormal. I still have haunting dreams from my D.A situation, and I was once told that I would work these issues out in their own time. I've been free from this situation for two years, and yet I still have them. Speaking to a therapist or a listener may help more than you think, I know it's helped me. Best Wishes for you Clover! <3