Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Trauma Support Community Check-In for July 2024 - Disability Pride Month

audienta July 2nd

Hello everyone,

welcome to this month's check-in! This month is Disability Pride Month!

image_1719853120.png

(Source Picture)

I mention this pride month as trauma can become a disability and disabilities can lead to trauma. These things are therefore deeply connected. Studies have shown that so-called adverse childhood experiences lead to an increased risk of getting a physical or mental illness (source 1) and at the same time, medical interventions can lead to PTSD (source 2). 

Whether you have a visible or an invisible disability, I hope this month, you can be proud of what challenges you've been able to overcome, what life you've been able to build for yourself and who you have become with, despite and maybe even because of your disability. And if you're not there yet, if there are still mountains to overcome, I hope you can be proud of yourself for trying, for not giving up, for being resilient.

You're awesome the way you are.

Trauma Support Community Check-In for July 2024

1) That's what the colours of the disability pride flag stand for (according to umass):

- grey for the rage and protest about the mistreatment of the disabled community and the deaths it has caused

- green for sensory disabilities

- blue for psychiatric disabilities

- white for undiagnosed and invisible disabilities

- gold for neurodivergence

- red for physical disabilities

Colour your reply in the colours you can relate to! (Only if you want to of course.)

2) Which challenges have you faced due to limitations because of trauma or trauma because of disabilities?

3) Why are you proud of yourself this month? (It can be small, it can be big, but make sure to find something. 💜)

If you have a question you'd like me to ask at the next check-in, please let me know!

Take care,

audienta

You can get added to or removed from the trauma support taglist here.

@0Some0where0I0BELONG0 @13irth @adaptableLake3534 @adequatelyInadequate @adventurousAcres9344 @adventurousBranch3786 @AffyAvo @AguaNector6700 @allYou @Amelia2324 @Amelia763 @amiableBunny4016 @AshFox2007 @AstronomySkies @audienta @Avaray @BeautifulCreation999 @BeenAKiwi @bela12345 @BillyJoeBobb @blueScarf9326 @bouncyBreeze44 @BraveAdventurer @BrokenDreamsPalace @BrokenMedic @bubblegumPuppy68 @bumblebee2307 @Bunnylovesyou @CalmRosebud @CaptainTrev @carefulKitten1131 @CaringBrit @charmingSky5972 @Chrissy911666 @Claireolomi @clare7199 @Colorfulcatsofhope @communicativePond1728 @communicativeYard2325 @conicha @CoolBeans29 @Crakyz @creativeStrings1531 @crimsonLime6525 @crxxtvfl0w @cueball @cyanPlatypus6370 @DaniAleah156 @Dannc7c @DarkGalaxy55555 @daydreammemories @Deadtiredperson175 @delicatepunk @depressedsatellite1452 @diligentDime8651 @DinaElwy @domesticEmerald50s @Eitas @emotional232023 @emotionalTalker2260 @emylly @FallenAngel0128 @Feathersfall @FigureskatingEquestrian @Fireskye13 @Fleggles @fluien @forcefulFriend4768 @Gagaintheroom @gentleLand5245 @Ghxstie @goldenSpruce1512 @Grandmaof10 @Greenchoice1 @gregariousBeing5071 @Grits1910 @helpfulLion92 @hillsideblues @honestpanda81 @HonestWarrior6624 @HopeNChayil @HumanPersonThingy @Iamwhoiamwhoami @IceCream4IceCream @iloveyouxx @IndigoWhisper @InfinityandBeyond23 @inventiveOrange1313 @Itisbailey @jcqlinshots @Journey144 @jovialButterfly6752 @jr50 @Judy7 @jupitermatilde @JustSmilingThruHell @Kekesea11 @Kickiree @Kimmkimm @kindTurtle3738 @Kunoichi91Warrior @LightofWorld @LillithHolly @Lilly28 @lilmissjaded @lionsaether @littleHuman9247 @littleOtter1342 @LordFireStorm71 @lovehummingbirdsCindy @LovelyOrangeJuice @LoveMyMoonflowers @lowkeyem1001 @Lubo123 @Luchelle @lyricalAngel70 @Marigold357 @maya6548 @mcooper7583 @Meenagirl @Mellietronx @mish3l @MistyMagic @mkaitx @Mooglethefluffy @MunchieTaters @MVObserver @mytwistedsoul @navyMango2804 @neatBlueberry3608 @neonDog3649 @neonOwl3442 @NevaehRose @Nolanhm @NoneTheWiser @nonethewiser @notmyselftoday @Novelwriter @npos25 @oceancruiser48 @Oceanwaves16 @OffDutySeraph @OneErased @OneWithSugar @ottersngiggles @parkey @Parvlakin @PatienceImpatiens @pencilmarks @Petrichor2000 @Philowl @Pidgeymon @PinkestOctopus @politeBunny7572 @practicalIdeal2007 @purpleWheel873 @QuietLotus @rainbow3140 @Randomperson453 @RansviewTheWizard @raspberry563 @ReallyRuth @Rebekahwriter13 @Redhawk6547 @Redirecting @redmark @reliablePeach8464 @Rosa9570 @SafeSpace1776 @SapphireSoul @SarahAlaina15 @scarletPear1945 @selfdisciplinedTiger5523 @sensitiveShade5337 @ShapeshiftSystem @shellofashell @shiningDay80 @Silverviolets @sincereThinker3571 @sleepingd0gg0 @SmileSravani @SnippyHam @sofiamartino18 @SoftForestHSP77 @SoulSupporter102 @StarlightSystemDID @stickercollection @Storyhymns1234 @straightforwardSkies7721 @Summer899 @SynSavory @Taylorz27 @tealOak8933 @teenytinyturtle @The0Vetoed0System @TheAutumnWitch @TheFisherKing @ThisIsLogan @ThreadbareThinker @Tinywhisper11 @TransparentPuzzle @turquoiseHemlock900 @Turtlegrrrl8 @u1146 @underapinetree @Understandingempath @UndomesticGoddess @unique73 @uniqueDaisy @veeceebee @Verysadperson101 @Vivikun9 @WarriorHeartsSystem @weepingwillow5489 @WelcomeToChat @wontwakewontsleep @WorkingitThrough2 @Worrior22Warrior @Writersworld @WriteToHeal42 @xandia @xmoonsie16x0

Tinywhisper11 July 3rd

@audienta I'm not sure how to change my reply to a red colour🤔🤔

challenges I face due to trauma related disabilities. I was born healthy, bad people made me disabled, I'm now in a wheelchair forever cause of theese people. It's kinda hard to get over ptsd. 

I'm proud of myself this month because I'm not letting depression get to me, I'm doing really well so far😁

❤ Thanks for the check in post ❤ hope your doing ok ❤

audienta OP July 3rd

@Tinywhisper11

No problem, you might only be able to change the colour when you're on the website. 

I understand that this is very hard and I'm sorry that you have to go through this.

And I'm so proud of you for doing well despite the depression trying to pull you down!

moonflowersystem July 3rd

@audienta we can't really make this white for undiagnosed and invisible disabilitys we have but what makes it a struggle is how school and home life can affect us. The meltdowns the memory loss the trouble with relationships 

we are proud of ourselves for finding people who support us and relate to us and allow us to be ourselves around people we feel comfortable with and not have to just hide twenty four seven we have found a partner with osdd like us we have a few friends with osdd and or autism we love hanging out and we have Neurotypical friends who support us all the way we help one with understanding disorders we have better do to them wanting to be a psychologists

this was a fun post to comment on very enjoyable 

audienta OP July 7th

@moonflowersystem

Yes, I understand. Even if they are invisible, disabilities affect all parts of our lives and can be very hard to deal with. I'm glad you have people around you who can support you through this. And thank you for your feedback, I'm happy to hear that it was a fun post to respond to.

kittydragon771 July 5th

Trauma causes me to have strained relationships with friends, heightened adrenaline responses, memory gaps, time blindness, a damaged sense of self and awareness, and so much more…

My physical disabilities and neurodivergency causes me to be ostracized from many social communities, allows “little” events to have a much higher impact on my mental health, causes me to become stuck on tasks either mentally with becoming overwhelmed or physically with being unable to do the task due to pain, and subjects me to harsh ridicule from people who do not understand what I go through…

Of course there are many more challenges, but I am trying to keep it shorter.. < 3

I am proud of myself this month for taking steps to enroll myself in college, handling a hard time of panic very well, and trying to keep myself positive and take care of myself even when my body and mind are struggling. It takes a lot of power to help myself and try to improve with little support irl, but I think I am doing pretty well. 

🩶💙🤍💛❤️🩶

audienta OP July 7th

@kittydragon771

Thank you for sharing your struggles and achievements. It's hard to live life with physical and mental disabilities but it sounds like you're making progress and taking care of yourself. I wish you all the best for college and in general!

DCcat1989 August 6th

Which challenges have you faced due to limitations because of trauma or trauma because of disabilities?

Trauma because of my disability. They took advantage of my disability. I believed everything they said. Now I get laughed at for all my triggers and my disability.....

Why are you proud of yourself this month? (It can be small, it can be big, but make sure to find something. 💜)

Proud that I survived and still be here today ☺️☺️

audienta OP August 7th

@DCcat1989

I'm sorry to hear that you got taken advantage of. And I'm very proud of you for not giving up and am glad that you're still here today. 💜