Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Thriving Through Challenges: Adopting a Growth Mindset

soulsings February 22nd

I am posting this for Lisa because of technical issues

Hi everyone

As you all know, I do love to share ideas on how we can all adopt a growth mindset. I’ve found it useful personally and professionally. It helps us to embrace challenges as opportunities for growth. When you cultivate a growth mindset, it means you are better able to view setbacks as lessons, these are then used to help you grow. You may also focus on setbacks as being temporary and being something that you can learn from.

“Great works are performed not by strength, but by perseverance” - Samuel Johnson

A growth mindset is the knowledge that you know that there are going to be challenges in life but you can grow from them through learning what they teach you. It can be difficult when we feel our life is presenting many challenges but it is helpful to know that we can grow from the difficult times too.

How has a growth mindset transformed your perspective? Share your experiences! 

Taglist Updated 2/19/24 @4Jasmine @adventureawaits777 @adventorousBranch3786 @AlexMbale @allen99 @allnaturalWillow7138 @ambitiousGlobe3422 @ambitioushope1234 @amiablePeace77 @Ashy123 @augustine1304 @balderasdavid799 @BeamsOfHope00 @Beepyy @bestThinker1986 @BlackyDragon @blissedNblessed @bobw @bouncyFireworks3811 @candybubblegumsprinkles @CaringSub @Brittanny17 @calmcoral @CatHanderOutNoah  @charmaeausty @Coffeebean26 @courageousPomegranate766 @creativeCar5713 @crystalclearnow @CyclingThroughLife @dlynn88911221 @Desmynn6789 @dysfunctionjunction1224 @EllyMerelyn @emotionalPenguin4374 @empathicPresence9091 @endure777 @enthusiasticAcai2032 @enthusiasticTortoise6681 @exuberantStrawberries9544 @FaithMagic @fearlessCup8704  @FleurdeNeige @FlowerEV777 @FracturedPurple @Fradiga @fruityPond7887 @Genlistener @geribear @Gettingbettertoday @Ghasaq997 @GlitteryHearts @GoldenNest2727 @gregariousField7151 @heartstopper13 @helpfulDime0407 @hopefaith2011 @iamwhoiamwhoami @imaginativepear6493 @ingeniousLove9924 @intuitivepixie1331 @Jordan1872 @k87 @KateDoskocilova @Kenn13chan @kindcircle3085 @kindRiver6 @Lauren63 @Leahm9703 @LisaMeighanMBPsS @lovelycoacoa @magneticDreamer6447 @meaningfulSilence @mia4819 @Mich765 @miresama @modestTangerine2193 @MoonMomm @Mscooper2789 @mytwistedsoul @nessa104 @NotAllHere713 @oa4me @Oceansky93 @OneErased @onkia122 @orangypie @paperBird3348 @patientwater @peacefulRainbow05 @PhilosophicalModel @PinkTriangle133 @politeGrapefruit179 @pompom @QueerChaos259 @rachelkb123 @Randumuser1 @Rebecca @redirecting @reguna @reservedPark4029 @Rod88 @RogueOne1983 @Scarletpear1945 @ShapeshiftSystem @SilverSeastar @slothgurl17 @soulsings @SparklyFly @sorrowedbunny1256 @SpongeBob2021 @stephbrent @SugareeIsMe091121 @SunShineAlwaysGrateful @tallWalker4850 @TannDee @ThadSterling @theroadisbright @thesoda @thoughtsbubbleexpress @ThoughtfulMomma @tifecandy @tinywhisper11 @tiredbubble00 @toughLand5970 @UniversalSmile @warmheart0890 @WentToBruv @waves @WorriedMagpie @WorkingitThrough2 @yzzil @zeffa @Zeraphim @Zsazsa524

amiablePeace77 February 22nd

@LisaMeighanMScGMPBsS @soulsings

When I take challenges, try to do new things there will always be situations where things do not go that well or simply go wrong (and I try out constantly new things! 😃). Long time ago I stopped beating myself up for so called failures but acknowledge that I learned something - I learned that this was not the way that worked! This refers usually to diy stuff but it helped me in general in life. I learned that I only fail when I give up despite there is a chance things can turn out well. It improved my perspective on life in the way that I mostly see things more neutral rather than negative. 

soulsings OP February 22nd

@amiablePeace77 yes avoiding whipping yourself for past mistakes is important for sure.

LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS February 23rd

@amiablePeace77

This is beautiful and is an example of a growth mindset that you have applied to DIY jobs. I think it is admirable you still try to continue doing DIY despite some challenges you may face! Looking at things neutrally rather than responding from a negative mindset is so insightful! How did you learn to do this? :) 

Want more personalized guidance? Check out my profile
amiablePeace77 February 23rd

@LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS

Lisa, I learned a lot out initially of despair tbh because I could not get things or it was difficult so I started to explore what options I can create for myself on my own. It became a routine after a while and now my mindset is "Okay, this does not work, what next to try" 😀

LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS February 26th

@amiablePeace77

I LOVE this! Thank you for sharing as I think it is so insightful. :)

soulsings OP February 26th

@amiablePeace77 a very practical approach, if it works use it if not try something else. Thanks for sharing that. 

shiningSky3745 February 22nd

Greest perspective to view things, thank you

@shiningSky3745 you are welcome

I feel like being mindful is a process that may last a lifetime. Rather than see myself fighting past battles, I think seeing life as a growth opportunity is a big improvement over seeing myself as a series of mistakes. Rather I see life is a series of experiments. 

@soulsings

Nice :) I like this experimental approach and I am so sure it helps you make positive steps forward. Thank you Soul for posting this! 

SunShineAlwaysGrateful February 22nd

A growth mindset is one that positive and not get sticky or stuck on when things are t perfect in your life … take the lesson or grateful for the people and things and moments of JOY … appreciate where you successes and failures are great why ?? Bc you attempted it and learn from mistakes …. Tomorrow is another opportunity to shine. …. Give yourself the advice you would give a friend in the same situation

soulsings OP February 23rd

@SunShineAlwaysGrateful good idea!

@SunShineAlwaysGrateful

Such insightful tips on how to work from a growth mindset perspective :) 

PetiteSouris February 23rd

@soulsings

How has a growth mindset transformed your perspective?

For me, I became accepting of situations as they arise. I accept who I am, where I am and what I am becoming. I am no longer intimidated to take on opportunities. I face my challenges with faith and hope. I want to live a life of  good worry and good stress. I react less to life's challenges. I aim to truly be present for every moment, the good, ugly and the bad, on planet earth. 

@PetiteSouris

Hearing how present you are and how you take on new challenges with ease is wonderful. It sounds like you have learned to just let things be, as they are. :) 

Fradiga February 23rd

@soulsings

No particular "mindset" here but it was quite an evolution. I was not particularly expected to become an independent woman, but rather a marriageable young lady who would have been in the background supporting her husband's career. At the time, it seemed perfectly normal, considering that my family was well-to-do and I was considered an artist (music), so not too serious, but a good catch. I was passive rather than "pro-active" about my future adult life.

One thing that I did keep from this education was the avoidance of conflicts, arguments and the likes. Yelling and flying off the handle was - well - not too classy as far as I was concerned, and I still feel that way. I can count on the fingers of ONE hand times when I got actually angry/furious but I won those battles for justice and my reputation did not suffer. 

I often dealt with other people's issues in my life, whether at work or at church, and it apparently turned me into a decent and discreet people-reader. Difficult people are seen as a social challenge and I happily accept that task, which I find more and more interesting nowadays.

If I had had a growth mindset professionally, I might have taken more opportunities and earn better salaries, but at least I reached retirement with a decent income.  

7cups constantly gives me occasions to learn what moves people nowadays and the difficulties they are facing. There are very few chats which I would find boring because of this curiosity I have.

Hoping I was not too much off-topic 😎

soulsings OP February 24th

@Fradiga not off topic at all. You sound like someone that has subdued their anger and strong emotions and pursued a path of self discovery and lived a wonderful life.

What an excellent preparation for your role here at 7 Cups as a listener. 

Thank you for sharing.