Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

The Power of Self-Compassion 2-15-24

amiablePeace77 February 14th

8 Weeks Series: Enhancing your Overall Mental Well-being by Focusing on Personal Growth - Post 3

Hi everyone! 💙

We are going to work on embracing self-compassion. By replacing self-judgment with kindness we can begin to foster a positive environment for ourselves and those around us. Acknowledge your struggles without harsh criticism. It is not easy though and does take time. According to research, higher levels of self-compassion are linked to increased feelings of happiness, optimism, curiosity and connectedness, as well as decreased anxiety, depression, rumination and fear of failure

Self-compassion is strongly associated with psychological well-being and thus is a very important tool to grow. Many of us believe we need to be tougher on ourselves to grow but it is quite the opposite! It is the secret to building resilience and helps us to bounce back from mistakes and learn from them which we will talk more about later in this series. 

1. How do you practice self-compassion in your daily life or how would you like to be more self-compassionate? 

2. How do you feel different when you’re kind to yourself?

3. One component of self-compassion is mindfulness. Being mindful reduces ruminating on negative thoughts. Do you have mindfulness practice?

Share your thoughts below and let's encourage others to work on being more self-compassionate 💙

amiablePeace77 OP February 14th

Kindly click here and fill out this short form to add or remove your names from the tag list 

Taglist Updated 2/12/24

@4Jasmine @adventureawaits777 @adventorousBranch3786 @AlexMbale @allen99 @allnaturalWillow7138 @ambitiousGlobe3422 @ambitioushope1234 @amiablePeace77 @Ashy123 @augustine1304 @balderasdavid799 @BeamsOfHope00 @Beepyy @bestThinker1986 @BlackyDragon @blissedNblessed @bobw @bouncyFireworks3811 @candybubblegumsprinkles @CaringSub @Brittanny17 @calmcoral @CatHanderOutNoah  @charmaeausty @Coffeebean26 @courageousPomegranate766 @creativeCar5713 @crystalclearnow @CyclingThroughLife @dlynn88911221 @Desmynn6789 @dysfunctionjunction1224 @EllyMerelyn @emotionalPenguin4374 @empathicPresence9091 @endure777 @enthusiasticAcai2032 @enthusiasticTortoise6681 @exuberantStrawberries9544 @FaithMagic @fearlessCup8704  @FleurdeNeige @FlowerEV777 @FracturedPurple @Fradiga @fruityPond7887 @Genlistener @geribear @Gettingbettertoday @Ghasaq997 @GlitteryHearts @GoldenNest2727 @gregariousField7151 @heartstopper13 @helpfulDime0407 @hopefaith2011 @iamwhoiamwhoami @imaginativepear6493 @ingeniousLove9924 @intuitivepixie1331 @Jordan1872 @k87 @KateDoskocilova @Kenn13chan @kindcircle3085 @kindRiver6 @Lauren63 @Leahm9703 @LisaMeighanMBPsS @lovelycoacoa @magneticDreamer6447 @meaningfulSilence @mia4819 @Mich765 @miresama @modestTangerine2193 @MoonMomm @Mscooper2789 @mytwistedsoul @nessa104 @NotAllHere713 @oa4me @Oceansky93 @OneErased @onkia122 @orangypie @paperBird3348 @patientwater @peacefulRainbow05 @PhilosophicalModel @PinkTriangle133 @politeGrapefruit179 @pompom @QueerChaos259 @rachelkb123 @Randumuser1 @Rebecca @redirecting @reguna @reservedPark4029 @Rod88 @RogueOne1983 @Scarletpear1945 @ShapeshiftSystem @SilverSeastar @slothgurl17 @soulsings @SparklyFly @sorrowedbunny1256 @SpongeBob2021 @stephbrent @SugareeIsMe091121 @SunShineAlwaysGrateful @tallWalker4850 @TannDee @ThadSterling @theroadisbright @thesoda @thoughtsbubbleexpress @ThoughtfulMomma @tifecandy @tinywhisper11 @tiredbubble00 @toughLand5970 @UniversalSmile @warmheart0890 @WentToBruv @waves @WorriedMagpie @WorkingitThrough2 @yzzil @zeffa @Zsazsa524

soulsings February 15th

@amiablePeace77

1. How do you practice self-compassion in your daily life or how would you like to be more self-compassionate?  I avoid the blame-shame game. I do regret some actions and make a determination not to do them again but without judgement.

2. How do you feel different when you’re kind to yourself?  I feel like an inner battle is over. The war inside myself has reached a truce. I am at peace. 

3. One component of self-compassion is mindfulness. Being mindful reduces ruminating on negative thoughts. Do you have mindfulness practice? 

My mindfulness practice in part is monitoring my thoughts so I can get early warnings about possible emotions like anger that may blowup. I head them off at the pass so to speak. 

Tinywhisper11 February 15th

@soulsings I wish I could be more like you ❤

amiablePeace77 OP February 15th

@soulsings

Thank you for your answers! I very much agree with you on avoiding the "blame-shame game". It never leads to something positive and I try to avoid it as well. It sounds helpful how you deal with your thoughts so that you can quickly become aware of any negativity on your mind and refocus. 

mytwistedsoul February 15th

1. How do you practice self-compassion in your daily life or how would you like to be more self-compassionate? I would like to be more self-compassionate but it's something I struggle with

2. How do you feel different when you’re kind to yourself? Tbh it feels wrong. I feel guilty and undeserving

3. One component of self-compassion is mindfulness. Being mindful reduces ruminating on negative thoughts. Do you have mindfulness practice? I do actually try to practice mindfulness with breathing and muscle relaxation (PMR) I'm careful with meditation because it often causes dissociation 

amiablePeace77 OP February 15th

@mytwistedsoul

It seems like you have not learned to feel compassion for yourself and that can result in guilt and shame when starting any kind of self-kindness practise. I can only imagine how strict you might be with yourself when something goes wrong.  A regular practise of self-compassion can help to let go of these feelings. This is a video for a Self-compassion break https://youtu.be/LM-hZia0V_A?si=AcocPXEvEOZNqHvI. I hope it helps. 

Some mediation techniques can be dissociative but others can help us connect to our thoughts, feelings, and surroundings. It is important to know what's is the right thing for you. Nice that Progressive Muscle Relaxation and Breath helps!

LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS February 16th

Such amazing responses to a thoughtful thread Ami!

Want more personalized guidance? Check out my profile
Zeraphim February 20th

1. How do you practice self-compassion in your daily life or how would you like to be more self-compassionate?

I often forget to. When I have, it's been checking in with myself, realizing there's suffering, normalizing the suffering, and offering kind words and the desire that the suffering will lift. I'd like to practice it more. I find myself so swept away and forgetful.

2. How do you feel different when you’re kind to yourself?

Many times, I feel uncomfortable and undeserving. Or like I'm lying to myself. But sometimes, it feels comforting.

I pay attention to my breath, though I often find the need to control it and deepen and slow it. I try to avoid beating myself up for distractions and go back to the breath.

amiablePeace77 OP February 20th

@Zeraphim

I hear you,  it was difficult for me too in the beginning to practise self-compassion. I hope you can make it a regular practise so that one day it will feel normal to you when you support yourself. Glad to hear that breathing techniques help you!

communicativePond1728 February 23rd

@amiablePeace77

How I practice compassion is I try catch myself throughout the day when I'm being critical and give myself mindful self compassion instead. I heard about someone called Tara Brach a little while ago and they call the process RAIN. I've also heard of something called the three A's.

I also try listen to audiobooks, watch a TED talk or read literature or do workbooks on it every day, meditate twice a day and do deep breathing and affirmations three times a day.

The usual self care applies; daily hygiene, eating well, exercising, laundry, dishes, hydrating, comfy and stylish clothes, do something seriously fun, practice a hobby or interest and journal/reflect/set and smash goals.

I find compassion can help me experience more positive feelings that can boost self esteem.

I still don't know what tf I'm doing tho

amiablePeace77 OP February 25th

@communicativePond1728

It seems you have a great set of coping skills! I like that you also mentioned about having some fun because it helps the body and mind to relax. Being able to sit with your emotions is important and Rain and the 3 A's Awareness, Acceptance and Action are a great coping skills. 

Coping skills help you to cope with difficult situations but sometimes it needs a while and of course regular practise until they really start working.