Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Need some help

Rescie August 19th

Hi everyone! Back ground information: i was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder.

In short, I started my first conversation in 7 cups despite my anxiety, but the member harassed and threatened me. I reported and blocked the member and get a code for a free therapy for the first month. 

I want to know that:

1. Is this common for listeners or is it just a random situation and i was just unlucky?
  2. Where and how can i use the code for therapy ? 
amiablePeace77 August 19th

@Rescie

Nice that you joined the listener team to help others despite having your own challenges!

I am very sorry to hear that you had a bad experience as a listener!  Unfortunately, this can happen, but it is definitively not the rule! Please do not let this prevent you from continuing your work here. You did well on blocking and reporting them! You can learn more about how to deal with difficult chats here and here. Have you considered to get a mentor who can support you on your journey here at 7cups? It's important to do good self-care after a difficult chat and it often helps to talk to another listener with a peer support badge about it. You can find those listener in the listener support room, the badge will show next to their username or simply ask if peer support is in the room.

The code can be used when you apply for therapy on your member account and fill in the application details. You will see a space asking you for a possible code. 

I hope this helps. You are very welcome to message me or any other listener of your choice if you have any questions or need more information. 

Rescie OP August 20th

Thanks so much, that definitely helps! I'll be careful next time and get more training before i pick up another conversation, but I'm sure I'll do more things here.😊

amiablePeace77 August 20th

@Rescie

Things will get easier, and training will help!

willingWatermelon7442 August 19th

Well I'm definitely never using a listener on here now. All my fears have been proven true.

Rescie OP August 20th

Things like that may happen sometimes, but I think cups are doing well in protecting listeners too. Just make sure you know where are the 'end conversation' and 'block user' buttons. The platform deal with problems really quickly.

Omathewise August 20th

@RescieI

I am very sorry for your experience. Actuallyt his is rare to happen here, I don't see any justifications but not all the people are balanced all the time, yet we have to take good care of our behaviors specially if we are dealing with our members, because they already have their own issues, and they come for help. 

Rescie OP August 20th

Glad to hear that it's a rare situation! I agree that as listeners we should pay attention to our behaviors because the members are seeking help here, but i believe protecting ourselves is of equal importance.

Omathewise August 20th

@Rescie

I totally Agree! your well being is high periority1

willingWatermelon7442 August 20th

Yeah it would be a minor inconvenience for most people. I'm on here though because I have an unshakable belief that people who have never met or spoken with me still somehow hate me. It would be a confirmation of what I already know, and I need to stop thinking about this right this second.

Rescie OP August 20th

❤️Identify the negative schema is the first step to think positive, you're doing well! While most people in the world simply just don't know you, you still have us with you on this platform. Just as i said I'm a newbie too, but i already received a lot of kindness in supportive groups.

Hope we all have a pleasant journey here!