Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Day 6: 3 Things I am Grateful for

LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS December 6th, 2023

Hi everyone!

7 Cups has an exciting therapy update to share this month. To celebrate, we’re doing 25 Days of Gratitude, Self-Care, and Personal Growth as many of you know and have joined in to celebrate with us! We are thoroughly enjoying reading through your comments and thoughtful reflections and please keep them coming.

The science behind gratitude is powerful and it turns what we already have into abundance, it teaches us to celebrate what we may perceive as the “small things” in life and to truly appreciate those as often they tend to be the most important things in our lives when we look back and reflect. When we look at our thought patterns, we tend to focus more on the negative thoughts and experiences rather than the positives. It can be difficult to shift our mindsets but with regular gratitude practice, we can make this more of a habit to reframe our thinking.

There is a technique some of you may be familiar with and it is called the Three Good Things intervention, to try out this technique you can do so by following the instructions below:

Step 1: Think of anything good or positive that happened today for you. It can be as simple as opening your windows and taking in the fresh air or perhaps having a positive interaction with a friend or someone on 7 Cups.
Step 2: Write down 3 positive things and share them in this thread
Step 3: Do not forget the most important part and that is the meaning behind each of the 3 Good Things that happened today for you. The meaning behind each of the 3 Good Things is important as it usually helps us realise what is truly important in our lives and what brings us meaning and purpose.

I look forward to reading your reflections and if you want to keep this as a daily practice you can continue to do so here if you feel comfortable reflecting. To get the most out of this intervention, it is recommended that you complete it for at least 7 days, if not longer for the best results.

gabrielle-henderson-m4lve6jr26e-unsplash-1_1701865676.jpg

Photo by Gabrielle Henderson on Unsplash

Want more personalized guidance? Check out my profile
CrystalSchaefferLCSW December 6th, 2023

I’m grateful for….

1. my heath- waking up this morning
  2. ny family
  3. my patients I help as they help me remember why I’m so passionate about my work.

Thank you!

LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS OP December 6th, 2023

@CrystalSchaefferLCSW

Those are fantastic things to be grateful for Crystal :) I love how you are grateful for the people that you work with and I am sure they are very grateful for you too!

JuiShankarPhD December 6th, 2023

@LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS, thank you for this post - as the year end it is so important to bring in our gratitude. The things I am grateful for today are -

* A warm and supportive conversation with my sister (who lives on another continent)

* The funny stories my kid  shared with me from his school day

* The warmth of a nice cup of tea

@JuiShankarPhD

Jui, that is so lovely to hear about your chat with your sister - close and healthy relationships are so important to bring us meaning and purpose. Children are a great way to teach us to have fun in life and not to take things so seriously all of the time. What tea do you like to drink? :) 

JackieMillerLMHPLADC December 6th, 2023

1) Healthy kids 

2) Extended family involvement with childcare (it does take a village!)

3) The ability to use my skills to help other people find more life satisfaction

@JackieMillerLMHPLADC

I am so glad your children are healthy and you have support with raising your children. It indeed does take a village! 🌻

AshleyCoxLMHC December 6th, 2023

Practicing gratitude has been an important part of my day, as it sets the tone for what may come. Today, I'm grateful for...

1. Supportive family

2. Hot coffee

3. The feel of fall weather this morning (it's humid year-round where I live)

@AshleyCoxLMHC

Fall is so inviting when we've had hot and humid weather :) I have the opposite and I am wishing for some warmer weather as it is very cold in the UK right now. It is great to hear you have a supportive family too as that is so important in life to know we are supported and loved by those around us as you know. 

Jon7Cups December 6th, 2023

@AshleyCoxLMHC great list. Every day I am grateful for a nice cup of hot coffee!

AshleyCoxLMHC December 7th, 2023

@Jon7Cups I LOVE COFFEE! 

Jon7Cups December 7th, 2023

@AshleyCoxLMHC 😂😂

KajsaFutrellRTC December 6th, 2023

A daily practice of gratitude has helped me so much on my own path of healing, and I always suggest to my clients to also spend a few minutes as often as possible in appreciation-and not to forget themself!

-I appreciate having a lovely new client on 7 Cups

-I appreciate hearing from my good friend

-I appreciate my organisational skills!

@KajsaFutrellRTC

Kajsa, you are very organised and I am sure your friends enjoy hearing from you too. I can imagine you are a very supportive and encouraging friend. Gratitude is so healing and it is so important. I practice it daily too and it is so therapeutic. 

TrishnaMonplaisirLMSW December 6th, 2023

Happy Wednesday Everyone! Today I am sitting in gratitude for:

1- having the opportunity to go on a work retreat for 2 days. I love nature and we will be in a small cottage where we can hike and rest together.

2- Having friends who love a care for my children. It really does take a village.

3- Thankful for the sun and the trees. I love the mornings and going for walks where I can take in the sun. 

LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS OP December 7th, 2023

@TrishnaMonplaisirLMSW

I echo both your thoughts Trishna (and Jackie!) that it takes a village to raise children. Your work retreat sounds amazing and nature is such a mindful way to connect with ourselves and others. It is so calming and just what you need after a busy week! The sun sounds amazing, please send some to the UK ⛄

PaolaGiordaniMA December 6th, 2023

@LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS

I am grateful for:

1. My health and strength

2. My daughter and pets

3. My work with patients

@PaolaGiordaniMA

How lovely Paola :) You are so grateful for your family and it really shows. I am glad you are grateful for your health as that is something we can sometimes take for granted. I didn't know you have pets, what pets do you have? 

PaolaGiordaniMA December 7th, 2023

I have an 11 year old dog, golden retriever and Labrador mix. And I have a new kitten, 4 months old. Yes, I consider my daughter and my pets as my family and I am truly grateful for having them in my life.

@PaolaGiordaniMA

I have very happy memories of growing up with a golden retriever. They sound absolutely lovely and I hear how your pets have become part of your family too. They are so fortunate to have you and your daughter to help care for them! 

@LemonLilly

Your therapist sounds great and it is a good fit for you with your therapist which means you have the best chances of positive outcomes in therapy. We are so glad you are also here at 7 Cups and hope you can get involved in all that we have to offer! 

AndreaTuckLCPC December 6th, 2023

@LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS

Im grateful for

1. Being healthy and hopefully staying healthy.

2. Staying employed and being able to the things that I love for fun and business.

3. For the Health and growth of my son who I have watched become more of a little man every day. 

@AndreaTuckLCPC

So many things to feel thankful for and I am glad you and your son are both healthy!

cyanVase4070 December 6th, 2023

@LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS

I am grateful for:

1 - being able to walk (something people take for granted along with alot of other little "life" joys we usually never think of - talking, breathing, eating, movement in general - good health is important) 

2 - my wonderful family (so many people do not have anyone at all in their lives to be there for them and be with them and helping them in times of need) 

3 - provisions to live (I have a roof over my head, a bed to sleep in, clothes to wear, food to eat, a job, a vehicle for transportation, even things for entertainment like TV, books, internet, so many others that it's impossible to name them all) 

🙂

@cyanVase4070

So many of the more simple things in life you are grateful for and they are so important. It is great when we are grateful for everything that we have as then we can only increase those feelings of gratitude from there. 

amiablePeace77 December 7th, 2023

1 - A great listener who supported me when I needed to share something

2 - My foot healing (yay!)

3 - Good movies

@amiablePeace77

I hope your foot is okay Ami and it heals very very soon! It is excellent you have a great listener to support you as it truly makes such a difference to our day. 

soulsings December 7th, 2023

@LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS I had a good morning meditaton

Grateful for simple foods, inspiring words from others, and time with partner.

The meaning behind these is they are easily available but so meaningful to me I hope not to overlook them. 

@soulsings

Meditation is so good for us as you know and it is always encouraging to hear how much you receive from a meditation practice. It helps others to see the importance of trying to include a meditation practice into their lives. You do so much for those around us and we are very grateful for you, Soulsings!

SmitaJoshiPG December 7th, 2023

@LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS

I'm grateful for 

1. My lovely home
  2. My work and my clients
  3. A restful sleep at night

@SmitaJoshiPG

Sleep is so important :) alongside having a safe space that we call home and I hope yours is like a sanctuary for you to relax in after a busy day or week!

Zeraphim December 7th, 2023

I'm thankful for:

- Getting to spend time with my partner today. He made me laugh, flirted with me, and made me feel loved and supported. It means so much to me, because I often feel down. He reminds me that joy exists.
- Having the energy to make a meal and tolerate a very difficult person I'm required to be around. I don't always have it in me to do either, and it feels good to have full belly.
- Spending time with the cat. He's a chatty, friendly guy who won't let me go anywhere until I pet him first. I like that he rushes up the stairs just to see me as I leave my room. To me, it means he likes me enough to want to see me and check up on me. The love of a cat is precious.

@Zeraphim

Having a supportive partner is so uplifting especially when you are having a challenging time. They also provide a reminder of joy in your life and that is so great to hear you were able to focus on that yesterday :) Making a meal for ourselves and others that we enjoy can really help us feel grateful for having the ingredients to make a meal and for our loved ones around us. Nice!! Cats are amazing, they are just so loving and I love it when they purr as it makes me feel so happy! 

communicativePond1728 December 7th, 2023

@LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS

What if someone can't think of something they're grateful for? Does that mean they're a bad person and deserve the pain that comes from it and the lack of resources and help?

@communicativePond1728

Good question! :) It is okay to not feel grateful and it is okay to not even have one thing you feel grateful for today or on other days. If we try to force feelings it can cause us to feel unhappy. We shouldn't feel obligated to feel grateful and you bring up a very good point here. :) It is okay to feel the way that you do! It can be useful to notice what we are feeling right now and what it is telling us and we can go from there. It does not mean a person is a "bad" person as we all experience life differently. 

amber64 December 7th, 2023

@LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS

Im grateful for

1 my life
2 a healthy community in church
3 and a family

@amber64

Those are such wonderful things to be grateful for. Family and simply being alive to experience life are great things to feel grateful about. 

KatePersephone December 7th, 2023

@LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS
Step 1: I worked out!
Step 2: I spent time with my friends, I got to sleep well, I had fun during stats class.
Step 3: I love all my friends, sleeping well helps me function better, and I dislike stats class so having fun today cheered me up!

@KateDoskocilova

Stats classes are so tough! I am glad you had fun during a challenging class as that no doubt made it feel easier to be there and hopefully you were able to learn something :) 

annapaviacounselor December 7th, 2023

@LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS

thanks for remiding us how wonderful emotion gratitude might be

I am grateful for my personal gifts, my work, my passions

@annapaviacounselor

Anna, thank you for sharing! I know how passionate you are about your work as a therapist :)