Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Experience with SMART Recovery?

PeanutButterMurph June 18th, 2023

I'm newly sober again after a weeklong visit to the inpatient psych unit. This time, I want to stay sober. I've tried AA twice in the past and decided it's not a good fit for me. Now, I'm considering attending a SMART Recovery meeting as an alternative form of support. I'm wondering if anybody else has had luck with this group or can share about what it's like. Thanks.

Clio9876 June 24th, 2023

@PeanutButterMurph

Congratulations on your sobriety. And even bigger congratulations on wanting to stay sober. I'm so impressed with your persistence. Its not easy to keep getting up and trying again, and yet you are doing it and that persistence gives me confidence that you will succeed in the end.
I don't have any experience of SMART recovery. In fact, I clicked on your post interested to see if it was something that could be useful to me. I know that different things help different people and you don't know until you try. It could well be that SMART recovery is just the thing for you. Or it might not. Probably only you can tell.
7 cups sometimes runs "huddles" - small groups that get together to support each other. I've found them really useful, so you might want to look out for them. Maybe I'll see if I can find a link.

Clio9876 June 24th, 2023

https://www.7cups.com/forum/groupmod/7CupsHuddles_2394/HuddlesSeason4ApplicationsNowOpen_304536/

Hmm. Looks like you might have just missed one. But if you were interested, I'm sure you could contact the organisers anyway and they'd let you know about the next one.

NaturalEmpath July 2nd, 2023

@PeanutButterMurph

I do not have experience with the SMART program you mentioned but I am also partial to the 12 step groups. I feel like some parts of it were helpful for me and some were not. The peer support groups can be helpful just talking to others in similar situations. I think it would be nice to have one of those huddles for addiction support here. Congrats on your sobriety 👊