Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

College is a Bureaucratic Nightmare

FrostFeather March 21st, 2023

I... don't know what to do. This isn't the first (or even the third) time I've been denied a degree due to red tape, but this is the most... stupid.

Background: I've taken a higher-level course at a college without taking it's prerequisite course due to originally being a transient student (I fulfilled previous college's requirements for prerequisite course already without having to take the class). I'll call this course Intro to English.

I'm currently trying to get an associates degree at current college, and the only thing standing between me and a degree is the Intro to English I course. Just this class, and nothing else. I have already taken the Intro to English II course at this exact same college (and passed the class with an A). Since Intro to English I course is the prerequisite for the Intro to English II course and the classes are similar, you'd think that taking Intro to English I would be a moot point, right? WRONG. My current college says it's requirement that I don't have, therefore I do not fill all the requirements for the degree, therefore no degree. They won't waive the course! I've tried dredging up AP credits to fulfill it, but they don't qualify! I have nothing!

I've been struggling to get a degree for over a decade. I'm so ravaged by burn-out that I can't bear taking one more class or even the placement test. I just can't fight the red tape anymore... Why won't they just give this to me...?

Sleepwalkermw March 21st, 2023

@FrostFeather

Dear Feather,

It must be so frustrating retaking this so many times and still not being able to finish the degree... You have put so much work into this. I am by no means suggesting that you should stop pursuing it (that is only and only yours to decide!) and whatsmore, for the most part I am always advocating to get up, no matter how many failures bring us down.

You will have to decide for yourself if the degree is worth your tears, your time, and above all, your mental-health. If the answer to this question is YES, before you pursue the degree, I think you would really benefit from a break and giving yourself some time to appreciate all the hard work you have done. You deserve some rest.

I am rooting for you, that you will finish your degree... I believe that you can do it. Sending you lots of support ❤️ take care and speak kindly to yourself!

FrostFeather OP March 21st, 2023

I want a degree more than anything! It doesn't even benefit me: I just want a trophy for all the pain and suffering I've been through. But there's always something in my way. I've worked so hard... It's not fair...

Jaeteuk March 21st, 2023

Usually you aren't able to take the second course before completing the first (intro) course. If the Intro course is all you're missing with the degree, couldn't you just take that missing course?.. I'm confused what is stopping you. Take a breather, step outside the box for some time. See what this degree means to you. Knowing what course is missing for you to complete the degree, you could take that missing course. Make sure with your college that is what they're looking for. Or find out to see if there are any other options or requirements that you are missing for the degree, and just focus on that.

You've been through all the rough times in taking all the courses for your degree, don't give up now. Struggling to finish the degree for the past year, it could act as a drive for you to want to do anything to complete that missing requirement and to do it asap. Good luck!~

@FrostFeather

FrostFeather OP March 21st, 2023

@Jaeteuk

@Jaeteuk

I appreciate you taking the time to reply, but I suppose this is why I'm having this problem. It seems simple to others: oh, it's just one class, it's just one more test, it's just the rules, just a little bit longer. I've been telling myself that for the past 10 years. I'm at the very end of my rope, and I just wish someone would throw me a bone already. The college has the ability to override the requirement, it's not like they can't.

Nope, the redundant, pointless English course is the law.

Jaeteuk March 22nd, 2023

It sounds like your college is very irresponsible. What kind of school wouldn't want students to be able to finish a Degree and graduate? This may or may not be an option, but are you able to somehow transfer to another college, with all your completed courses so far, and finish the degree at another institute? At a college that's more reasonable and doesn't give you a hard to time to finish off your degree?

@FrostFeather

FrostFeather OP March 22nd, 2023

@Jaeteuk

I wouldn't say my college is irresponsible, just indiscriminately following the rules. I actually transferred to my current college because it's my favorite college (I've attended several colleges in pursuit of different degrees), after transferring from a school that treated me like I was disposable. I was hoping that it would be a straight shot to a degree, but now I'm hung up on this stupid class. My academic career has been pretty fragmented, but I would've taken the first class 10 years ago if I knew what problems it would cause me in the future!

My counselor is really nice and is trying to help me, but she doesn't have the power to waive a class herself. I hope someone higher up is sympathetic to my situation.

Jaeteuk March 22nd, 2023

I see. Well, you've been battling with finishing this degree for so long, I hope your college has someone suitable to help you waiver this class so you can finally graduate. Have you spoken with the Dean of the degree? Or whoever is the authority-level of the whole degree. Maybe you can speak with him/her about your situation, and see if they can do something about it.

@FrostFeather

FrostFeather OP March 22nd, 2023

@Jaeteuk

My counselor is actually helping me talk to the dean. The dean so far seems like she would be willing to substitute the credits with one of the billion other classes I've taken if I can provide good examples of writing. I'm really hopeful, but then again, I've been burned before. So we'll see what happens.

FrostFeather OP March 29th, 2023

Yayyyy!!!!!!! They gave me the credit!! I'm going to graduate!

I am so relieved.😊

FrostFeather OP March 29th, 2023

They were super nice to me too. This is why this college is my favorite!

Jaeteuk March 29th, 2023

Congratulations! Very happy for you!~

@FrostFeather