Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What book or talk has helped you?

GlenM September 9th, 2020

Hello! We will be reaching out to people to see if they'd like to create a growth path playlist on 7 Cups. These can be authors, experts, or influencers. People that are well known and people not so well known, but have something helpful to say. Any and all are welcome! If a book, movie, or TED talk helped you, then please share here so we can figure out the best way to incorporate their work on 7 Cups. Links to talks or books would also be helpful. Thank you!

justswimming007 September 22nd, 2020

Vital Friends by Tom Rath. Very view changing!

betterchoices September 23rd, 2020

The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron has helped me tremendously. It's woven into every day of my life. It's marketed towards people who wish they could just do the things they want to do, but, for one or many reasons, can't. She talks about God as being one of her biggest motivators, but if that's not your jam, she always is sure to be inclusive of everybody's beliefs: whether it's God, the universe, fate, your family, or simply the belief in yourself. The book is not just for artists: it's for anybody who has a wish.

InquireWithin September 23rd, 2020

Although not everyone's preferred topic... The Grace in Dying by Kathleen Dowling Singh, PhD., published in 2013. It illuminated some things I had not known about the process of death.

brightShip19 September 23rd, 2020

who moved my cheese by dr spencer johnson

is a witty&helpful book. i loved the way he gave a specific example to a situation

September 23rd, 2020

@GlenM

I find Inner Work by R.A. Johnson very useful to work with dreams and get an idea of what our unconscious is trying to communicate. I worked with it with my own therapist as well. I still have to apply the Active Imagination part, but I am very much looking forward to it.

LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS September 23rd, 2020

Both of the books below I love:

The Untethered Soul by Michael A Singer

The Power of Now by Eckart Tolle

Want more personalized guidance? Check out my profile
CynthiaStockerLCSWLICSW September 23rd, 2020

@GlenM

This talk by Brene Brown has really me a lot. https://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_the_power_of_vulnerability?language=en It is about the power of being vulnerable. In addition I really like the children's book "The Velveteen Rabbit", and the book "Will I Ever Be Good Enough?: Healing the Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers" by Dr. Karyl McBride Ph.D.

Another talk that I find super helpful is this one on "making stress your friend" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcGyVTAoXEU

ThreadbareThinker September 24th, 2020

@CynthiaStockerLCSWLICSW

I'm with you on Karyl McBride. But I'm super curious about your thoughts on Brene Brown. What is it about her work that you find powerful? What does she say or write that speaks to you?

I've read some of her books and watched her ted talk on vulnerability but really found it challenging to connect with what she was saying. I certainly understand from my own experience, how important vulnerability is to the therapeutic process. So I understand the sentiment, but I didn't connect with her work. I know she is really popular, which is why I read her stuff, and I just felt meh, it didn't resonate. I've had a difficult time putting my finger on the exact issue that I was having.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm confrontational. I am genuinely curious about what resonates with people?

LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS September 24th, 2020

@CynthiaStockerLCSWLICSW

The Ted talk by Brene Brown on vulnerability was really insightful!

Want more personalized guidance? Check out my profile
acreation September 24th, 2020

I have to concur with The Body Keeps Score. Also, "It's Not Your Fault" by Beverly Engel.

toughLion8324 September 24th, 2020

The TEDx talk "Igen" by DR JEAN TWENGE

She tells how smartphone use has have many hazards and harmful effects.

conscientiousPear1527 September 25th, 2020

I loved SuperBetter by Jane Mcgonigal. It changed my life.

Rice8722 September 25th, 2020

7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens by Stephen Covey.

GenerousSunshine17 September 25th, 2020

The Time Less Traveled.

I urge you guys to check it out and come discuss it with me. It is indeed life changing.

Have a wonderful day!!

Doglover190 September 25th, 2020

I love reading "Beloved" by Emma Mae Jenkins. So inspiring!

sociableavocada1890 September 25th, 2020

Vedanta Treatise by A. Parthasarathy

It's a spiritual book and everyone should give it a try written by an indian philosopher

RubyRedGlowingButterflee September 25th, 2020

None, since I always preffered to use and think with my own head...

warmheartedSail9244 November 12th, 2020

@GlenM

tallCircle1126 November 26th, 2020
Sherlben May 27th, 2021

Purpose Driven Life - Rick Warren

Sherlben December 29th, 2020

Everybody always by Bob Goff

PhaedrusMaynard December 31st, 2020

Duino Elegies by Rainer Maria Rilke translated by Stephen Mitchell

7motivation March 8th, 2021

@GlenM

HERE'S A VERY ENLIGHTENING BOOK THAT REVEALS...
HOW THE BRAIN WORKS...
SO ONE CAN DEAL WITH IT EFFECTIVELY...

Habits of a Happy Brain
Retrain Your Brain to Boost Your Serotonin, Dopamine, Oxytocin, & Endorphin Levels

By Loretta Graziano Breuning · 2015

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Habits_of_a_Happy_Brain/aVPsDQAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0

Helps one understand the roles of "happy chemicals" -- serotonin, dopamine, oxytocin, and endorphin.

Helps one understand the role of "unhappy chemicals" like cortisol.

Helps one understand the limbic system and it's impact on feelings and behaviors.

Helps one understand one's feelings due to social interactions and situations.

Helps one understand causes of anxiety and coping mechanisms.

Includes exercises that help one understand and reprogram the brain.

Special chapters on creation of "Vicious Cycles", "Your Action Plan", "Overcoming Obstacles", and "Tools".

KEY BENEFIT OF THE BOOK:

Understand how the brain works and how feelings are created neurochemically.

That can help one accept and deal with them and get unstuck.

7motivation March 10th, 2021

Animations here explain your emotions...

https://innermammalinstitute.org/animation/

(by the book author above)

7motivation March 10th, 2021

7 cute videos here
explain the HAPPY HABITS concepts from the book above.

Topics covered...

Your Power to Re-wire Your Happy Brain Chemicals (#1 of 7)
Dopamine, Serotonin, Oxytocin, Endorphin (#2 of 7)
Cortisol: Your Emergency Broadcast System (#3 of 7)
How You Build Pathways In Your Brain (#4 of 7)
A Brain Re-wiring Success Story (#5 of 7)
Choose Your Re-wiring Project (#6 of 7)
Self-Soothing: The Most Essential Happy Habit (#7 of 7)

Videos are on the YouTube "Inner Mammal Institute Channel"

7motivation March 11th, 2021

Here are useful INFOGRAPHICS

for the Habits of a Happy Brain book above...

to learn the very useful concepts... very quickly and easily

https://innermammalinstitute.org/infographics/

danielioan March 11th, 2021
7motivation May 2nd, 2021

See book called

“Self Help That Works: Resources to Improve Emotional Health and Strengthen Relationships”

described in this article

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-recovery-coach/201709/how-choose-effective-self-help-resources

7motivation May 2nd, 2021

The book above rates which self-help books and other resources are effective and which are not (rated 1-5).

It is the result of the concensus of almost 5000 mental health professionals
covering over 40 mental health categories.

The book also covers other self-help resources besides books, like
online self-help, internet resources, films, and support groups.

The table of contents of the book and the first few chapters
can be seen here

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/self-help-that-works-john-c-norcross/

7motivation May 4th, 2021

*consensus

TortueDesBois May 14th, 2021

@GlenM

CynthiaStockerLCSWLICSW May 27th, 2021

There are a couple that I found really helpful; What About Me?: The Insider's Guide to Better Boundaries by Steph Sterner for anyone

and for men

No More Mr. Nice Guy: The Hero’s Journey: A Step-by-Step Guide to Becoming an Integrated Male Dr. Michael Pariser (Author), Dr. Robert Glover this is the second in a series the first but can be read as a stand alone. The first is good too No More Mr. Nice Guy: A Proven Plan for Getting What You Want in Love, Sex and Life (Updated) by Dr Robert Glover. Mr. Glover has men's groups that men can join and will also do one on one sessions.

Then a really wonderful TED is; My son was a Columbine shooter. This is my story; https://www.ted.com/speakers/sue_klebold

I hope this will help someone.

Happy900 June 3rd, 2021

@GlenM The 7cups of tea ebook.