Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

The Gift of Giving

GlenM May 5th, 2021

Did you know at one time - a long, long, long, time ago - that listeners could charge on 7 Cups? When we went through YC, we thought that was going to be how 7 Cups was going to generate revenue to help cover the bills. What happened was that .01% of people charged and 99.9% of listeners did not charge.

Listeners very clearly communicated to us that 7 Cups was to be a 100% volunteer based service. People were going to give of their time out of the goodness of their hearts. They did not want to be compensated. Listeners were committed to freely giving the gift of compassion.

Since that time, listeners have given gifts of compassion - imagine them as little wrapped gift boxes šŸŽšŸŽšŸŽ - to millions upon millions of people all around the world. We now have 20,000 conversations on 7 Cups a day. That is a lot of gift giving!

Giving a gift feels amazing. Some of you are excellent gift givers. You pay attention. You see what someone needs, and then you give them the gift and they are delighted to receive it because it fills a need they have. The old saying ā€œgiving is better than receivingā€ is true and anyone that has given a gift knows this to be accurate.

On 7 Cups, people come and they ask for help. That is what happens when a general or personal request is made. That request is an ask - it is an indication of a need to connect, a need to be heard, a need to be understood, a need to be seen, a need to be validated, a need to feel less alone. Our listeners pick up these chats, they answer those requests, and when they do, they give a gift to our members. A gift of listening.

Think about that space between a member and a listener. The request is sent out from our app on a phone on one side of the planet. The listener, on the other side of the world, sees the username and the issue and selects them. They connect - strangers that do not know one another - and they start talking. The member begins to open up and shares some of what is causing them pain. The listener paraphrases, tries to see the world through their eyes, and says this back to the member in their own words. In that space between, something remarkable happens, the listener gives the gift of compassion - out of the goodness of their own heart - and the person feels loved, understood, and cared for.

That is a beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, and remarkable thing.

Fast forward to February 2021. I finally - after years and years of trying to understand what we are doing on 7 Cups - see 7 Cups as an ecosystem. I share this idea with a friend, a medical anthropologist, and he says, ā€œGlen, this is a system of reciprocity or what Marcel Mauss calls a gift economy.ā€ I have never heard of this before and immediately Iā€™m excited to learn that 7 Cups can be understood through another lens that I cannot yet see through.

I do all this research on Mauss, gift economies/exchanges, and consult with my friend to better understand what we are doing. Long story short, with zero planning or deliberate building, we have accidentally recreated an ancient pattern called a gift economy where social bonds and connections are primary. Where this gift of compassion is shared from leaders to listeners and listeners to members and members to other members, listeners, and people in their life. On any given day, we have tens of thousands of compassion gifts circulating around the 7 Cups community. A good conversation, a WTG in a sharing circle, a shout out, a spotlight - all of these are gifts going round and round 7 Cups.

One interesting thing about the Kula tribe and their conception of a gift is that it becomes heavier or more valuable as it passes from one person to the next. Imagine our gift boxes of compassion circulating. Someone sends a gift to me about how awesome a listener or mentor is. I hear this and send it over to the community management team - hey I just received this message and think this person is great. They then send it over to the mentor and say hey great job! And so on. That gift of compassion becomes heavier with each person it touches. It becomes more meaningful.

7 Cups differ from the Kula tribe and ancient societies in a number of ways. We are based on the Internet, so we have unintentionally layered on a digital approach to gift economies. Also, if you watch that ecosystem video, then youā€™ll see that each party gets something and each party gives something naturally.

I wanted to share this gift economy model with you, because when I learned of it I was struck by its significance and how much more substantial it makes our work. Like someone in the desert sweeping off the top of a pyramid and then seeing the rest of it under the sand. We, collectively, have swept off an ancient - and beautiful - pattern of relating to one another.

We give gifts to one another on 7 Cups. It is a beautiful practice. Beautiful isnā€™t the right word. It is more than that.

Thank you listeners for being the first gift givers. Thank you for giving to me and many others millions of times. Thank you or helping us rediscover things we have forgotten.

A couple of questions to consider:

When you read the above (or watch the videos or read the links), what stands out to you about 7 Cups and gift giving?

How can we strengthen our gift economy even more? (Iā€™ll share more on this in another post and weave in comments from this thread).

With gratitude,

Glen

MidwesternCalmSeeker May 22nd, 2021

@GlenM I do like to volunteer in general, and have done so in a variety of ways. I enjoy being of support and encouragement, and 7 Cups has allowed me to interact with so many awesome people. When I was doing hospice visit, I knew I was there to distract from the person's situation and hopefully invoke a smile or too, listen to someone reminisce about better times, and hold their hand/give a hug when they felt low. Here, it's similar. Sometimes the chats are supportive, and other times I'm helping to make someone feel less alone. I've even got a few long term listeners who I consider virtual friends, which was an added bonus that I did not expect. I think I benefit as a listener as much as the members!

GlenM OP May 24th, 2021

@MidwesternCalmSeeker thank you for sharing these thoughts :). and thank you for your service here on 7 Cups and in hospice too! It makes a big difference!

ScoreKing May 18th, 2021

My 7 cups journey has been a blend of member and listener roles. Receiving the gift of support has been amazing. Met so many wonderful people though here. And now giving back as a listener. In today's world of social media and the negative influence on so many people I find this site a breath of fresh air. Like many others I am amazed this site exsists and the worldwide impact on emotional health. It is one thing I can give freely of my time- to simply listen compassionately to others.

GlenM OP May 21st, 2021

@ScoreKing what a great phrase - a breath of fresh air - I like that! I'm equally amazed that this place exists. It is, as outlined above, because of all the remarkable people that have joined us. Very long odds that it should exist and yet it does.

Lani41521 May 18th, 2021

This reminds me of life changing books Iā€™ve read, ā€œThe Art of Letting Go,ā€ and ā€œThe Book of Joyā€ which was a comparison of similar teachings different religions or Saints had such as the Dali Lama, Arch Bishop, St. Francis, etc. These books helped remind me to focus on similarities rather than differences and opened my eyes just enough for me to understand I was not worthless at all, and by constantly treating myself as ā€˜less than,ā€™ I only prevented myself from being able to help others. And in doing this, I only felt more worthless because I wasnā€™t able to help others- a viscous cycle! As people we have all experienced pain- pain, regardless of the cause, gives us the ability to empathize with others. And various religions & cultures offer the same teachings: it is only by getting out of one's head/self-forgetting, that one will find, and each act of compassion is what is capable of changing world. If I have found relief from a problem Iā€™ve had in the past, I must pass on my experience, strength, and hope to others who ask for help, in order to keep the lessons Iā€™ve learned in my life alive. So it is a gift to be of service to others in need, because the more I love others, the more I will love myself, and the more compassion I show others, the more compassionate Iā€™ll be towards myself, and Vice versa. As humans, we're biologically programmed to be social beings, and can only grow as a society through connecting with others. The first societies in history developed when everyone had a job or Gift they could offer to the rest of the community, each of which filled a crucial role for their community's survival. Weā€™re biologically programmed to help each other, which means that we do truly need to give back, in whatever ways we can, because we will not be able to experience the joy and other wonderful emotions that Gift giving offers šŸ™‚.

GlenM OP May 21st, 2021

@Lani41521 Lots of wisdom here! I like how you integrated the biological view and the gift economy perspective. I just ordered both books mentioned!

Rosebud313 May 18th, 2021

@GlenM

heart This made me realize that at my age and with the life experiences I've had, I have positive messages I can share with others. Up through adolescents is about experimenting. Young adulthood is about learning from experiences. Middle age is for sharing our experiences with others. And old age- that's when I've found we can either choose to share the wisdom we've learned through life or choose to keep everything bottled up and as a result isolate ourselves from new information which only decreases our wisdom

GlenM OP May 21st, 2021

@Rosebud313 thank you for sharing your wisdom with us! :)