Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Room Announcement

GlenM November 6th, 2019

Hello everyone! I have an important update to make on group rooms.

Did you know that the first room opened at 7 Cups was a waiting room for members to wait for an available listener? Things have come a long way since then. Just as we did then we are always looking for ways to improve the support we provide. We have been investigating what parts of the group support model works and what does not through usage, moderation statistics, and general room health. What weve found is that having moderated discussions and open chats are the most supportive and safe opportunities, while unmoderated 24/7 chatting results in increased safety and experience issues.

As we move forward as a company with a free emotional support service we have decided on some big changes to elevate our group support experience for everyone who wants a safe and kind experience. Our intention is to do a few things well and focus on emotional support.

Member rooms:

We will have two adult member rooms and two teen member rooms open 24/7 for moderated support. One general support room and one community room. All other rooms will be pop-up discussion rooms. These rooms will all be badge locked to both listeners and members.

Listener badges: Tick Tock ( For reaching Ten 1-1 chats), Thankful Heart (For receiving 5 positive text reviews)

Member badges: Strong Bond 1 (5 chats with 5 Listeners, i.e. 1 chat per listener, 5 total chats), Helpful heart ( 50 Compassion Hearts)

Listener rooms:

In the adult listener community we will continue to have two rooms, Listener Support Room and Listener Community Room. Teens will have Teen Listener Room. The adult Listener Community Room will require the Verified Listener badge. The Listener Support Rooms will be open to all listeners, but will only be used for active chat support.

Timeline:

This change is anticipated to happen in the next couple of days. However if some rooms become unsafe and volatile we may choose to close them early or remove them all together.

Our goal is to focus on emotional support. We are aligning our community features to help us better achieve this. We realize this is a big change that may not suit your preferences. We know you may have questions, especially if you are on a volunteer support team (group support teams read more here). We understand if you decide our free services no longer fit your needs and we wish you the best. However you are feeling please keep our Community Guidelines in mind as you process and move forward with your day. While we always welcome feedback, we expect discussions to not only be civil but also on-topic.

I know dealing with change can be challenging. I appreciate the flexibility as we move things forward. As a quick aside, Im visiting my grandmother (she has been ill) so Ill respond, but might be a bit delayed. The community team will chime in and answer questions as well.

Thank you!

[MonBon added link]

[Jill replaced badge name for members- it is Strong Bond 1 and not 7 day streak)

[Lorraine added badge requirements]

[Tazzie replaced the second badge name for members. It is Helpful Heart]

[MonBon replaced badge name for Listeners. It is Thankful Heart]

[7CupsCommunity modified description of Strong Bond 1 for clarity]

UnderTheTableAndDreaming November 6th, 2019

@GlenM I have heard this is happening in a few days? Did yall think perhaps this is a mental health site and perhaps a graceful way to handle an upheaval of change from 5 years to a few days is catastrophic for some? I wish yall had considered a group discussion or a month to prep at the least! Wow

Samisfree November 6th, 2019

@UnderTheTableAndDreaming

Agree with this. I haven't been here very long at all, but it's upsetting. I can't imagine how those of you who have been here for years feel about this extremely sudden change.

I'm concerned about people who are seeking member to member support. I fail to see how condensing rooms and lumping everyone together will be beneficial to those those who need it.

UnderTheTableAndDreaming November 6th, 2019

@Samisfree Sam I appreciate you and all you

FallingIn November 7th, 2019

@Samisfree

Hey Sam, I think this is actually pretty irresponsible of them. Was there any time for the room to find other alternatives to connect?

Samisfree November 7th, 2019

@FallingIn

Hey Falling. I agree. Not entirely sure yet. I hope so. Hope to see you soon to chat about it.

swanflyinggracefully November 25th, 2019

@Samisfree I gfeel very upset about it. I have been suddenly cut off from a scource of support really need until I can get 5 liasteners convos. Well I don't always have a computer available so it is taking me a long time and I f3e4el very distressed.

swanflyinggracefully November 27th, 2019

Do I everagree with that!!!!I was quite upset when I couldnt access the caht rooms and talk to any one!!!!"for our own good ? are we children?

Kanchellsis November 6th, 2019

Given that this is a mental health site, and most people come here for serious issues... Which include things like social anxiety and agoraphobia it seems like putting all the people together is a disaster in the making. Have you seen a introvert with anxiety ever feel comfortable speaking up in a large group? It might seem like nothing to reduce the chatrooms, but when you do this you are denying long time members and some listeners of their only downtime.. thereby increasing the mental health issues in the world. Not helping as your mission statement says.

optimisticDreamer3906 November 6th, 2019

@Kanchellsis I completely agree with all of this. We make friends and find support, then suddenly have it took away from us. I find it so unfair, unnecessary and a complete shame.

@optimisticDreamer3906YES YES YES

@optimisticDreamer3906 ND SOMEWHAT CRUEL 7 cups has always bee tnere when I needed it and now is isnt

HarlequinKiss November 7th, 2019

@Kanchellsis

I am an introvert with social anxiety, PTSD and free floating general anxiety... and i can't speak to large groups IF I CAN SEE THEM.... but online... it doesn't really matter.

secretSummer5576 November 12th, 2019

@Kanchellsis I agree. They mention "I know dealing with change can be challenging" but dealing with change while struggling with mental health issues is way beyond "challenging". It can be practically impossible, sometimes. Also there is also the possibility of your voice getting diluted and buried in a huge room. It sounds like a lot of people will stop feeling like they're having their voices heard.

I don't even fully understand what's going on because I'm really new here, but I feel like a significant change like this should have been made in consultation with the community.

exuberantocean5576 November 6th, 2019

I agree! The 35+ room has become not just my online support, but my online community.

To be honest, I suspect I'll stop using 7 cups altogether when this happens.

Emily619 November 7th, 2019

@exuberantocean5576

You'll still be able to use the 35+ sub-community, and the room will be opened for discussions

RadiantRed November 15th, 2019

How do you get into the 35 and over room? @Emily619

gracefuldeadlyswan November 15th, 2019

@Emily619I think this is a terrible idea. Does any one at 7 cups care that we dont like it? It is way too sudden and and I am very frustrated. We need the different rooms for different issuses and I am afraid wont see the people I know any more. That would be devastating to me and no doubt others. Also it will increase the size of the chats and some people will noty be able to get a word in edgewise. Bad Idea!!!!!

wildghostmemories November 7th, 2019

@UnderTheTableAndDreaming My thoughts exactly, today's conversation with all my regular chatters will be about where the group rooms went

aquaPenguin84 November 6th, 2019

@GlenM

New chat room plan is dumb

exuberantocean5576 November 6th, 2019

@aquaPenguin84

Concise, but accurate and to the point.

GryffindorMuggleBorn November 7th, 2019

@GlenM

This has been a disaster! How is anyone going to be heard in a room of 42+ people? Please I beg of you bring the rooms back! It worked for everyone. Everyone had a chance to talk. This was insane. I felt ignored. Not everyone knows about certain things nor do I want to explain it. I also get made fun of for my username. Change it back!

November 7th, 2019

@GryffindorMuggleBorn I'm really sorry to hear you didnt have the best experience there. Today was unsettling for everyone and I understand that this is difficult. I really trust that our volunteer teams are going to open the other rooms often enough for you to get the topic based support you specifically need. My advice would be to check out the community calendar for updates on upcoming events in the rooms you like to participate in. I understand that this will take some time to adjust. I hope that with time this will mean that the experience you do get to have is a more positive one than usual.

GooseyLucy November 7th, 2019

@GryffindorMuggleBorn

Agreed. People get ignored more often and quite honestly we don't even mean to do it. On top of that the chats have been used for trolling more then support. (And also i love ur name. :P Slytherin)

GretasRebel November 12th, 2019

@GryffindorMuggleBorn there are 177.000 kids in Syria struggling after a horrible war and currently lots of refugees who are stranded who have absolutely nothing. That's a disaster. A virtual room closed, seriously....there are still other rooms here available how about show some appreciation for the people working hard to make 7 cups a reality.

wontwakewontsleep November 12th, 2019

@GretasRebel - Comparison doesn't solve anything. Both are valid. Severity shouldn't mean one should be listened to and one should not.

GretasRebel November 13th, 2019

@wontwakewontsleep comparison serves an an example how grave the world state is currently. A little bit of perspective is healthy!

lilmango November 13th, 2019

@GretasRebel

Fallacy of relative privation (also known as "appeal to worse problems" or "not as bad as") – dismissing an argument or complaint due to the existence of more important problems in the world, regardless of whether those problems bear relevance to the initial argument.

Relevance actually matters.. trying to manipulate isnt useful here.

caringPanda45 November 30th, 2019

@lilmango well said

BeautifulHero86 November 7th, 2019

@GlenM

Yo Glen and 7 Cups team, don't y'all think a change this big is a bit, sudden? Especially with the feed going away too...I feel like there should have been sooner notice and more community involvement in this decision.

Now me personally, I'm not really bothered by this change as I prefer a 1-on-1 chat (both as a listener and as a member) but I know a lot of people who just wanted the comfort of being in a group chat and who liked the specific rooms.

I mean, overall you have to do what you have to do, I just hope that in the future there when there is a major change to the site we are kept better in the loop and maybe make us feel included more, if that makes sense.

Henry

compassionateTree4567 November 7th, 2019

@GlenM The main issue was apparently in groupchats some people are trolling and being a bully to others which isnt nice. The main purpose of this is for everyone to be supportive

optimisticFlute57 November 11th, 2019

@snowneoonbluez43553, So the bullies win? Super.

compassionateTree4567 November 11th, 2019

@optimisticFlute57 So basically it's just moderated. There would be moderators just to look after the room. To make sure no one is hurt or no one intends to be a bully. We all became a family here so we all want everyone else to be supportive and RESPECTed

caringPanda45 November 30th, 2019

@snowneoonbluez43553 true but the rooms that were got closed too

Angel161210 November 8th, 2019

This is absolutely ridiculous. Reducing the rooms means too many people shoved into one group and can't all get the individual attention and support they need. It'll be so hard to get a word in and follow someone's story. It already is with as little as a dozen people. I don't see how this could work. It might even make things worse.

lonelymark1 November 9th, 2019

@GlenM

So your removing the rooms cause theres no money left cause nobody will pay a site that will give excuses and scripts and just BS you now we get idiotic listeners

FuturesRise November 11th, 2019

@lonelymark1

Right on

Only Punish the offenders!

Not everybody else!

MythologicalMayhem November 12th, 2019

@lonelymark1

It's more about making things a bit easier for everyone. A lot of the rooms were unused/quiet anyway, so they've condensed them. It makes it easier to moderate and the rooms will now always have people in them.

goodtimesahead November 9th, 2019

@GlenM It sucks if LGBTQ can't have their own room...Sorry if this has been addressed before. I haven't read through all the comments.

jaded110 November 9th, 2019

@GlenM you need to bring the rooms back, I almost panicked seeing that the groups were gone yesterday. The depression room was a safe haven for me.

ReallyRuth November 10th, 2019

@GlenM

So...since I always talk to the same listener I won't be able to participate in moderated chats anymore?