Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Room Announcement

GlenM November 6th, 2019

Hello everyone! I have an important update to make on group rooms.

Did you know that the first room opened at 7 Cups was a waiting room for members to wait for an available listener? Things have come a long way since then. Just as we did then we are always looking for ways to improve the support we provide. We have been investigating what parts of the group support model works and what does not through usage, moderation statistics, and general room health. What weve found is that having moderated discussions and open chats are the most supportive and safe opportunities, while unmoderated 24/7 chatting results in increased safety and experience issues.

As we move forward as a company with a free emotional support service we have decided on some big changes to elevate our group support experience for everyone who wants a safe and kind experience. Our intention is to do a few things well and focus on emotional support.

Member rooms:

We will have two adult member rooms and two teen member rooms open 24/7 for moderated support. One general support room and one community room. All other rooms will be pop-up discussion rooms. These rooms will all be badge locked to both listeners and members.

Listener badges: Tick Tock ( For reaching Ten 1-1 chats), Thankful Heart (For receiving 5 positive text reviews)

Member badges: Strong Bond 1 (5 chats with 5 Listeners, i.e. 1 chat per listener, 5 total chats), Helpful heart ( 50 Compassion Hearts)

Listener rooms:

In the adult listener community we will continue to have two rooms, Listener Support Room and Listener Community Room. Teens will have Teen Listener Room. The adult Listener Community Room will require the Verified Listener badge. The Listener Support Rooms will be open to all listeners, but will only be used for active chat support.

Timeline:

This change is anticipated to happen in the next couple of days. However if some rooms become unsafe and volatile we may choose to close them early or remove them all together.

Our goal is to focus on emotional support. We are aligning our community features to help us better achieve this. We realize this is a big change that may not suit your preferences. We know you may have questions, especially if you are on a volunteer support team (group support teams read more here). We understand if you decide our free services no longer fit your needs and we wish you the best. However you are feeling please keep our Community Guidelines in mind as you process and move forward with your day. While we always welcome feedback, we expect discussions to not only be civil but also on-topic.

I know dealing with change can be challenging. I appreciate the flexibility as we move things forward. As a quick aside, Im visiting my grandmother (she has been ill) so Ill respond, but might be a bit delayed. The community team will chime in and answer questions as well.

Thank you!

[MonBon added link]

[Jill replaced badge name for members- it is Strong Bond 1 and not 7 day streak)

[Lorraine added badge requirements]

[Tazzie replaced the second badge name for members. It is Helpful Heart]

[MonBon replaced badge name for Listeners. It is Thankful Heart]

[7CupsCommunity modified description of Strong Bond 1 for clarity]

humorousDay8793 November 7th, 2019

@Fireskye13

Through our common concern for the site we lean on togethet's future, and our futures 🌞

November 7th, 2019

@humorousDay8793 I see what you mean. I misunderstood.

@Fireskye13

πŸ–’ We all need a realiable place as sometimes lives are depending on learning the needed coping tools to navigate those really tuff dark days. Its great all thrse people give and get help when needed. Hope youre having one of the bright happy days 🌞

November 7th, 2019

@humorousDay8793. I was till the room thing

@Fireskye13

Right, im so sorry they caused all this grief and chaos.

WARNING

UNEXPECTED 7CUPS CHANGES

ARE

VERY IRRESPONSIBLE

DANGERUOS AND DAMAGING

Psychological shock is when you experience a surge of strong emotions and a corresponding physical reaction, in response to a (typically unexpected) stressful event.

By thoroughly understanding this reaction before it happens, you'll be able to recognize it and make much better decisions if/when it does. I'll help you do that here.

The types of events that can trigger psychological shock reactions include:

A car accident or near miss.

Being broken up with.

7cups making changes without proper notice.

Your child having an accident or near miss.

Situations that provoke fear, such as being in an airplane with severe turbulence.

Witnessing something scary.

Hearing a story that makes you feel traumatized, such as learning a friend has drowned.

[Edited by Anomalia for unsupportive content]

fearlessWriter78 November 7th, 2019

Yeah I actually got really stressed out today due to this.

7cups making changes without proper notice.

Still am. I ended up being really sweaty, nervous, forgetting to eat. Thanks Glen!

November 7th, 2019

Thanks for the support I appreciate it.

yasshunnyqueen November 6th, 2019

@humorousDay8793 yes!!!

@yasshunnyqueen

🌞 Together we stand

Divided is NG

πŸ˜ŠπŸ–’

pamharley003 November 6th, 2019

I am told everyone in 35+ is sharing offline infor to keep in touch.

Samisfree November 6th, 2019

@pamharley003

Hi Pam. Are the rooms gone for you as well?

OpenWindow November 6th, 2019

@Samisfree They're all gone for me at the moment, too. I suppose I will check in again tomorrow.

LovingSparkle November 7th, 2019

@OpenWindow

on the listener side, you can see only two member rooms. I have noticed though lots of members dont have access to group chats at all

November 6th, 2019

@pamharley003 good for them

HappyDucky8 November 7th, 2019

@pamharley003 how

Figgy50 November 7th, 2019

@pamharley003 Im not sharing my info, but I feel bad for all of the lost connections we all made. I cant get into any rooms and I have the badges. This all very confusing to me :(

pamharley003 November 7th, 2019

@Figgy50

You can still pm me when you need me

HappyDucky8 November 7th, 2019

@pamharley003

i allreafy know no one wanted my info

caringPanda45 November 7th, 2019

@HappyDucky8 I think you'll find the closing of the rooms 2 days early stopped it becoming widely known. I very much doubt it was personal.

November 7th, 2019

@Figgy50

Yo Figgy! <3

Figgy50 November 26th, 2019

@LessMusical Hii Less!! I just saw your post.. 20 days later!! 😬😬😬

FallingIn November 7th, 2019

@pamharley003 Well I was late to that party, it would be nice to still connect

humorousDay8793 November 6th, 2019

Im unsubscribing to all this chaos

Good luck all

AffyAvo November 6th, 2019

@GlenM With such a big change there really should be better planning. 3 changs to the member badges in 1 day? Or maybe I missed some as this really isn't the priority in my life today but disability support has been taken away so I can't discuss that with those who have done a fair bit of supporting for me.

AdamEmb November 6th, 2019

So are there currently rooms up that I just can't see due to badges? Or are they all down. Just reading through some of these posts and I'm getting conflicted messages haha. Thank you :)

November 6th, 2019

@AdamEmb idk I have the badges but can't get in either

DepressedPegasus November 6th, 2019

I'm like lowkey freaking out right now group chats were my only form of support. I've had too many bad experiences with listeners to go back to that again. If there is only two chat rooms that means the chat is going to move too fast for anyone to read. There's normally 3 rooms that have upwards of 20 people in them and the other rooms usually have a little less than 10. That many people crammed into two rooms is never going to work and is going to be very erratic and overwhelming for both members and whoever is moderating. RIP group rooms crying

November 7th, 2019

@DepressedPegasus couldn't agree more

caringPanda45 November 7th, 2019

@DepressedPegasus must admit I do feel for the moderators who will be there as those room locked arent being changed from what I can see.

planedark72111 November 6th, 2019

so do us listeners only have 3 rooms or what?

fearlessWriter78 November 6th, 2019

Going along with other comments: I think this could

planedark72111 November 6th, 2019

@fearlessWriter78

how do they expect us to do that?!?!

Vrsyren November 6th, 2019

This change is not only horribly conceived but was executed with the care of a toddler. For many the community chat rooms were a place to meet people at any time to talk about a sepcific topic, and to ask questions with people connected to that topic.

Now they want to mash all topics into 2 adult rooms? WTF? Those that just barely had the bravery to come forward in a room dedicated to their needs wont open up in a general room. A room where people, random or not, will be a hurdle people wont even try and jump over. I am from the LGBTQ channel and I know from seeing and helping others that many of those seeking help would shut down.

There is also a disparagingly bad ratio of Listeners to "Talkers" seeking help.

This was a crappy idea and one that will push people away from the site rather than invite them in.

November 7th, 2019

@Vrsyren Absolutely agree slove the toddler remark Especially. So accurate.

November 7th, 2019

@Fireskye13 lol meant love the toddler remark smh.

fearlessWriter78 November 7th, 2019

@Vrsyren I agree! Getting rid of chats doesn't make the community stronger but weaker imo.

FallingIn November 7th, 2019

@Vrsyren It's irresponsible to the community they are attempting to engage with

Vrsyren November 7th, 2019

@FallingIn

Vrsyren November 7th, 2019

@FallingIn Especially given there was practically zero warning given to allow people to find a new safety net or other options.

compassionateTree4567 November 7th, 2019

@GlenM I think I am happy with this change. As a top fan of 7cups, i really do think that this is a great way to aid people. However, some people here are over dependent and they go here most of the time which i think is fine and not good in some ways. Some people must face reality and face tough situations and make a change for themselves such as talking to people face to face. I just think some people are over dependent. Although I am a big fan here and I am glad you created this site. I couldnt be more happier talking to people, helping them, being heard and understood. heart.png heart.png

people should realize to see 7cups as a good aid which it is and its resources. However, we need to have boundaries. You also must not become overly dependant here and should act to yourself as well.