Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Our Growth Path Builder is Now Available!

GlenM February 25th, 2021

Hello Community!

I am happy to announce that our growth path builder is now live! Our team, led by Emre, has been working on this for several months and we are delighted to now share it with you.

When people are looking for help they need emotional support and also specific information on how they can overcome their challenges. For example, if I am struggling with panic attacks it will help me to connect with a listener to feel heard and understood, but listening itself will not have too much of an impact on decreasing my panic attacks. By learning breathing techniques, how my thoughts trigger panic attacks, and relaxation exercises it WILL help me decrease panic attacks.

This is where growth paths come in. They can help provide step by step guidance so people learn skills to better cope, manage, and overcome challenges they face.

In the past, each person gets a free growth path when they join 7 Cups. They can upgrade at $12/month or $100/year to unlock all of the premium growth paths. Now, any growth path built by a member, listener, or expert will be free.

You can begin to see why I am excited about this right? There are hundreds of health challenges that we all collectively face. If we work together, then we can create growth path steps and growth paths to find the best ways to help people across hundreds and hundreds of challenges.

You can see a video on how to build a growth path here: https://youtu.be/d-pCLhUFgBM.

The video walks you through the process. The same process can be made for training paths, which are basically growth paths for listeners.

You can access growth paths and training paths by clicking on “my paths” in the top left hand corner and then scrolling down and clicking on “community paths”

I’ve been talking with the ambassadors and other leaders about building out training paths to help listeners learn new skills. @Tazzie is also taking the lead in working with sub-community leaders to build out growth paths for each sub-community. Our goal is for each sub-community to have their own growth path (or many) to better help their members.

@SoulfullyAButterfly is also working closely with me and the content team to help researchers and scientists build out free growth paths. If you would like to help us digitize and build out protocols then please get in touch with Soulfully!

A handful of last points:

1. There are now over 500 steps in the growth path builder. Close to a 100 mindfulness exercise and hundreds of short videos. You can search these by topic, upvote, and hearts. You can also drag and drop these steps to build your own growth path. We will be adding a lot more soon.

2. We are rolling this out with trusted members, listeners, and experts to start. Individuals that have the following badges will be able to build growth paths. Anyone will be able to access them, comment on steps/paths, and upvote them. Here is the badge list: Admin, Ambassador, Forum Mentor Leader, Community Mentor Leader, Quality Mentor Leader, Group Mentor Leader, Chatroom Mentor Leader, Community Mentor, Chatroom Mentor, Support Room Mentor, Forum Mentor, Operations Mentor, Quality Mentor, Intern Mentor, Sub-Community Leaders, Leadership Graduates, Mod 2.0, Support Team Teen Star, Teen Chatroom Leader, Teen Chatroom Mentor, Teen Chatroom Star, Teen Community Star, Teen Quality Leader, Teen, Quality Mentor, Teen Quality Star, Teen Star Leader, Teen Transitioning Mentor, Transition Mentor Leader, Writer, Editorial Assistant. If interested in helping build growth or training paths, then you can fill this Interest Form to apply for the badge.

3. We closed a small grant to help us build the growth path and launch the H_Prize! (H stands for humanity, health, help and heart) to further build out growth paths on the platform. An expert panel will review growth paths across a number of categories. We will then be able to award prizes and cash awards to help celebrate our collective efforts. Look for more on this soon.

4. You can find (and help us write/edit!) a guide on How to Build an Effective Growth or Training Path here.

5. Other ideas for growth paths - If you want to help us build and are not sure where to start, please consider these posts as they highlight the songs and self-help books/talks that our community likes the most.

In closing, let me zoom back a little further and share a quick thought here that will help share how I see this growth path and training path builder. I think 7 Cups is an ecosystem. We lift one another up and in the process we as individuals and we as a community get stronger and smarter. The more helpful tools we can provide to help one another the more effective we become. Listening and supporting one another in 1:1, group support, and sub-communities are effective tools. The growth path builder is another very flexible tool that I think will help us learn how to better empower one another. I am excited about this and I look forward to working with you all as it evolves.

Please post any thoughts or questions here and I’ll do my best to answer them!

Update: To edit your path, go to My Path (top left corner) > Create Growth Path > My Paths > Select the Path > Edit

Update 2: Here is a rank order list of all the top paths that our community would like based on a survey we ran a couple of weeks ago:

Confidence and Self-Esteem
Motivation
Anxiety
Moving forward with positive focus
Self-reflection
Depression
Hope
Compassion / Respect
Grit / Courage / Perseverance
Relationship problems
Leadership
Substance use
Disability
Family
LGBTQ
Autism
Abuse
Addiction
ADHD
Eating Disorder
Financial Stress
Introvert Challenges

Update 3: Help us build a community created growth path on increasing confidence and self-esteem here.

SoulfullyAButterfly February 26th, 2021

Hi Cups, please click on my username and message me from my profile! Searching for users can also be done by visiting 7cups.com/@USERNAME (add username) - I have left you a message too

ASilentObserver February 26th, 2021

@GlenM Awesome news! Congratulations to the Community! Finally, the most awaited tool is here. I hope you all find this tool helps to create some amazing growth paths that could provide the additional support and help all deserve. Yayyyy!

If you all have any questions or need any help! Please feel free to send me a pm.

Give it a try and let us know how are you finding it.

GlenM OP February 26th, 2021

@ASilentObserver thank you Obs!

QuietLotus February 26th, 2021

@GlenM

This is really amazing. I can't tell you how appreciated and worthwhile your efforts are.

Thank you.

peacefulFreedom973 February 26th, 2021

Loving the additions and options

TheJenInBlack February 26th, 2021

I’ve always wanted to make my own path! Thank you for making this free. I can’t wait—I’m already thinking of potential steps!

GlenM OP February 28th, 2021

@TheJenInBlack Awesome! Let us know how it goes! Also, @AffyAvo has started a thread here to capture ideas and challenges:

https://www.7cups.com/forum/SiteUpdatesInformationFortheCommunity_100/CommunityProjectsthingstogetinvolvedin_745/CustomGrowthPathTipsandHelp_240281/

TheJenInBlack March 1st, 2021

I’m actually having a lot of trouble with this. I’ve tried reaching out to mods and no one seems to know how to help. They referred me to Heather but I haven’t gotten a response yet so I’ll just ask here. So I’m wondering why I’m unable to make a new path (it’s not allowing me to on app or desktop). I also want to know how I can start my path over from step one instead of my current step once I make the new path? I tried to find this thread to ask these questions here but I couldn’t find it and all mods I talked to couldn’t find it either. Thanks! Sorry for all the questions I am just excited

mvpeng February 26th, 2021

This is really awesome! I’m excited to figure out how to make one and to get started.

February 26th, 2021

@GlenM had been waiting for this. Love to see it finally here. Have tried a small sample. Will try a full customized path and update Grinning

GlenM OP February 26th, 2021

@DonaldDraper thank you! I'm going to start working on a confidence growth path today. I'd welcome the help!

February 27th, 2021

@GlenM I like that it's customizable and that new tasks can be added. But I added a task with a description and the description did not appear on the Progress path page. Am I missing something?

@DonaldDraper It sounds like there might be a bug there. Can you add it to Affy's thread:

https://www.7cups.com/forum/SiteUpdatesInformationFortheCommunity_100/CommunityProjectsthingstogetinvolvedin_745/CustomGrowthPathTipsandHelp_240281/

Suryansh February 26th, 2021

@GlenM

That's amazing! Finally, the growth path is live and is free for everyone. Thank you to all of 7 Cups team for processing this and making it live and for all the efforts made. This great tool will be so helpful for improving health. It was so awaited! Yayy 7 Cups. They have great features and amazing tools to create a path. Thank you to everyone! ❤

starmelon7 February 27th, 2021

That's absolutely amazing! Thanks to the 7 Cups team for all your efforts and for making the growth paths free. This is a great new tool I'm sure will help many! ❤️

Listeningsarinn February 27th, 2021

Yayyy so excited about this! I personally have been waiting for it for long and am so hopeful for the help it will provide and the higher engagement it will bring❤️
huge thanks @glenm @heather225 @soulfullyabutterfly @asilentobserver and everyone else on both tech team (@devteam ) and community team *~*

tho i have some questions to get started with ^^
1. firstly i have the badges listed above but can't see the option to create my own path, so does everyone with the badges need to fill the interest form and be given the access manually afterwards??

2. Can we have a feautured paths section?
this could contain paths by theraphists/experts and the subcommunity paths, and also most liked, upvoted and used paths by community can be added to that feautured section later on...

suggesting this as i just checked the paths and there are already number of paths, which contain similar steps or topics, and right now it's less than a day since this is announeced and only few are able to make paths, so in time we'll probably have thousands of paths with similar content, some of higher quality than others, this is a good thing in general to have many options but if someone is looking for help for example with a panick attack, and wants a quick way of finding a reliable tool to calm themselves down, stressing about going thru a number of paths and not knowing which would be most useful, or not knowing how to search the paths effectively would make accessing the help really hard... it's a fact that forums themselves are like a maze to many, specially newbies, i'm afraid these playlists might be confusing for anyone not very familiar with them as well, and having featured ones might be of help in preventing this

3. Can the subcommunity home pages have a link to subcommunity growth paths, just alike to how it has for subcommunity chatroom, and Q&A section?

4. Will the "new steps" created for growth paths be checked before being added? (If not how can we ensure the safety of links, videos, and content of these steps, specially on the teen side?)

5. In initial member and listener paths, there is an option to choose from 3 different activities in each step, how can we do that in the paths we make??

6. Is it possible to choose how frequently the repeated steps show up??

7. Would it be possible to guide one to different steps based on how they answer a question?? For example there is this question in initial member growth path, with 6 emojis asking how are you feeling today, could we have a system for the path to take you to a stress management step if you choose anxious, to a 3 things i'm gretaful for if you choose happy and so on??
(and even if this isn't an option yet, would you consider it for next updates? As far as i know Techinchally it isn't hard to do, but would let the paths be much more personalized and give one an experience that meets their need much more specifically at each moment)

sorry for making it too long❤️ I know it can be time consuming to read and respond but thought sharing these points would be of use, also thanks again for bringing this to us, seeing it live is a great feeling *~^

@Listeningsarinn excellent questions! I have copy and pasted your questions and answered inline below:

1. firstly i have the badges listed above but can't see the option to create my own path, so does everyone with the badges need to fill the interest form and be given the access manually afterwards??

--You should defintely have access if you have any of those badges. Can you contact @soulfullyabutterfly so she can help us troubleshoot this.

2. Can we have a feautured paths section?
this could contain paths by theraphists/experts and the subcommunity paths, and also most liked, upvoted and used paths by community can be added to that feautured section later on...

--yes that is the plan exactly!

suggesting this as i just checked the paths and there are already number of paths, which contain similar steps or topics, and right now it's less than a day since this is announeced and only few are able to make paths, so in time we'll probably have thousands of paths with similar content, some of higher quality than others, this is a good thing in general to have many options but if someone is looking for help for example with a panick attack, and wants a quick way of finding a reliable tool to calm themselves down, stressing about going thru a number of paths and not knowing which would be most useful, or not knowing how to search the paths effectively would make accessing the help really hard... it's a fact that forums themselves are like a maze to many, specially newbies, i'm afraid these playlists might be confusing for anyone not very familiar with them as well, and having featured ones might be of help in preventing this

--People will be able to search by a combination of keywords, upvotes, hearts, and comments. The steps and paths that are most effective should surface through these searches. Ultimately, different steps and different paths will be helpful for different issues and other variables so the goal is to help people in the most personalzied way that we can.

3. Can the subcommunity home pages have a link to subcommunity growth paths, just alike to how it has for subcommunity chatroom, and Q&A section?

--Yes also the plan! You have a great product sense!

4. Will the "new steps" created for growth paths be checked before being added? (If not how can we ensure the safety of links, videos, and content of these steps, specially on the teen side?)

--Right now only trusted members, listeners, and experts can add steps.

5. In initial member and listener paths, there is an option to choose from 3 different activities in each step, how can we do that in the paths we make??

--I imagine you could just provide 3 links?

6. Is it possible to choose how frequently the repeated steps show up??

--Let me check on this!

7. Would it be possible to guide one to different steps based on how they answer a question?? For example there is this question in initial member growth path, with 6 emojis asking how are you feeling today, could we have a system for the path to take you to a stress management step if you choose anxious, to a 3 things i'm gretaful for if you choose happy and so on??
(and even if this isn't an option yet, would you consider it for next updates? As far as i know Techinchally it isn't hard to do, but would let the paths be much more personalized and give one an experience that meets their need much more specifically at each moment)

--Yes this is also part of the plan, but will come a bit further down the road. Ideally, what I'd love to see is the option for plans to branch based on responses and other triggers. Very good thinking!!!

SoulfullyAButterfly February 28th, 2021

Thanks for sharing your feedback - I did onboard Sarin after their great Interest Form yesterday

GrahamBarroneICHP March 1st, 2021

Whoa!!!! @GlenM and team!

This is super versatile and useful. Love everything about this. WE can now make bespoke Growth Paths to suit our style of practicing therapy. Bit too excited about this right now ha!

Want more personalized guidance? Check out my profile
GlenM OP March 1st, 2021

@GrahamBarroneICHP Love the enthusiasm! Yes, and we can also feature paths in the future, so let me know when you have one ready!

Happy900 March 3rd, 2021

The new growth paths, Amazing!!!

7Cups You Rock.

To the 7Cups Admi team, man oh man, this was your Best Idea, to date.

Three Cheers to the 7Cups Admi team.

Way to go team!!!

Way to go team!!!

Way to go team!!!

Yea!!! 7cups Admi Team.

Love each and everyone of you.

GlenM OP March 4th, 2021

@Happy900 thanks for the support happy!

Happy900 March 4th, 2021

@GlenM Your welcome.

StarlitSky4762 March 13th, 2021

@GlenM

I have a question: how do I edit my growth path after I created it?

So I created this path. But I only added one step so far. https://7cups.com/path/playlist/dbt-under-construction

March 14th, 2021

@GlenM

I wasn't sure where else to ask this, but what are the guidelines for individuals creating/building these Growth Paths?

For example, if someone were to include a song/video in their path, are there language requirements? Outside of obvious no-nos or triggering content, like, if someone in the video swears once or twice (rather than excessive inappropriate language), is that okay? Can videos/songs be in languages other than English or only English? What about a song that isn't sexually explicit but maybe has some connotation or suggestion? Max or min lengths of videos?

Outside of video/song content, what else is and isn't okay? Where is the boundary between us offering supportive activities/videos and us seeming to offer therapy/therapeutic tools/content when we're not trained as therapists and listeners are told to not give advice? If we're using videos/images/info from other sites, do we need to credit/cite them in some way on the paths themselves, or is that not required due to the nature of the paths themselves?

If we don't have this already, could we maybe get some Growth Path Community Guidelines put together and posted somewhere? It might make the creative process a bit easier for folks who may feel unsure about their paths or the content they're creating/posting.

And do we/will we at some point have some sort of Growth Path moderation? I see the up and down votes for items, and I assume items that receive a lot of down votes may be reviewed, but are paths reviewed in general? Or will they be? And if we have Growth Path moderators at some point, would they have edit powers for paths, would the creators be notified, would this be more of a flagging process like with profiles/forum posts, etc?

Sorry for the 20 questions! I've created one path already to play with it, and it's really cool, just kinda want to get some clarification if possible as I move forward and for others in general too if anyone else had similar questions.

Thank you in advance and thanks for putting together this neat opportunity/tool for the community.

Check out the Family & Caregivers Subcommunity

CheeryMango March 14th, 2021

Following 😮

PeaceLoveandPaws March 15th, 2021

@LuLuRings

Great questions! Looking forward to your guidance @glenm

March 26th, 2021

@GlenM @Heather225 @SoulfullyAButterfly

Just following up on this! Thank you!

SoulfullyAButterfly March 26th, 2021

@LuLuRings Hi there,

1. No, there are no language requirements, if you have access to the builder we trust you to share appropriate content with the community and we celebrate diversity - please tag the song with "song" so I can also add it to the Official 7 Cups Playlist path - as for minor swearing etc. I recommend adding a Trigger Warning of some sorts with a brief explanation. There is no max/min length either.
  2. I think as long as we share what we feel adds to awareness and mental health support we can add them, I would recommend simplifying what you would like to share in your own words and trying to link it up or make it applicable to the community needs. You are welcome to mention credit, for example when quoting a famous psychologist.
  3. Yes, moderation will be considered soon. If you have any concerns until then, you can PM one of us to share any concerns.

I like the Guidelines idea.

March 26th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly Much appreciated, thank you for the clarification!