Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Finding Your Purpose Exercise

GlenM February 25th, 2022

[ Content Warning for discussion revolving around the theme of death. ]

Hello Community! I hope all is well. It is starting to warm up here...finally! We are at the start of doing more deliberate work on flourishing. Part of this includes finding your purpose, calling, or sense of meaning in life. This can sometimes be hard to do. I've done the following exercise with hundreds of people and more recently with our team and in the Academy. People tend to find it helpful in putting words to something that can be a bit challenging to capture. If you try it, then please let me know what you think in the comments. Feel free, if comfortable, to share your results as well. Or other exercises that are similar in helping you reflect on your life's purpose. ---

Exercise

Imagine you wake up one morning. You feel rested. The birds are singing. It is a beautiful fall day. The sun is shining and there a few clouds in the sky. You get dressed, grab a cup of coffee or tea, and decide to head out for a weekend drive. The trees are starting to turn. You can see the different shades of yellow and red.

You get to one beautiful tree lined street, like a canopy overhead, and you notice that many of your friends and family members are parked. They are dressed up and they are heading into a building with two white doors. You get curious so you pull over and park your car. You are dressed casually, but you decide to go in and see what is going on anyways. You climb the stairs and walk up the sidewalk. You call out to a few of your friends with a warm ‘hello’, but they do not respond. Strange. It seems like they are ignoring you.

You open the door and there is a long hallway. Nice thick carpet. The lights are dim. You walk down the hallway to a big room and follow all of your family and friends in. It is a very nice room. Kind of formal. People look sad. You attempt to make eye contact, but, again, nobody will look at you.

There is a big central aisle that divides the room. You decide to walk down it. As you are walking down it, you see that there is a lectern and three very special people seated at the front. You know these people. These are the people you are closest to. This is starting to get odd.

You also notice that there is a casket. You walk over to the casket and are taken aback. You were not expecting this. The person in the casket is...you. You are at your own funeral. It is the end of your life. You are much older than you are now.

No wonder nobody can see you. You are dead. You grab a chair, get comfortable, and begin to listen as each of the people seated at the front get up to say something about you.

Instructions:

Get a pen and a piece of paper or open up a doc. Write down what each of these people say about you. Just write what you want them to say. Don’t judge it or get lost in whether or not it is accurate or will be accurate. The important thing is to write it down.

If you are married, or envision yourself in a long-term relationship, then imagine one of these people as your spouse or long-term partner. What do you want this person to say at the end of your life?

If you have children, or envision yourself with children, then imagine the second person as your grown child. What do they say about you?

If you have a long-term friend, or envision yourself with a long-term friend, then imagine the third person as that long-term friend. This can be someone that you’d think of as a best friend. What do they tell others about you?

Finally, if you have a co-worker that you are close to, or someone you volunteer with, then imagine what this person says about you.

After you’ve written it down, condense what each person has said into 3 simple sentences. If you have 3 people, then you should have 9 sentences. If 4 people speak at your funeral, then you should have 12 sentences.

Remember, this is the end of your life - whenever you imagine yourself dying. I think I’ll die when I’m like 85, so I imagine myself as 85 in this exercise.

Interpretation:

This exercise is designed to help you identify what you think is most important in life. These are your true values. If you were to live your life in a manner that reflected these values, then you would be a happy person and you would feel like your life was well lived. If, on the other hand, you live your life in a manner that is inconsistent with these values, then you will more than likely be an unhappy person and will feel like you did not live a meaningful life.

Whenever we take on a project, it is is very smart to do what Stephen Covey recommends and “begin with the end in mind.” If you identify what you want the end to look like, then you can arrange your steps to make sure you get there. Your life is no different. Right now you are at Point A in life. This funeral exercise shows you Point B. You have to live in a manner so that your path connects Point A to Point B.

Zahraa000 February 25th, 2022

It seems like a great exercise. I think my kids will be impressed after they see me in this scene and say she was a great mom ❤️🤗

GlenM OP February 25th, 2022

@Zahraa000 how beautiful!

Lu5566 February 25th, 2022

I'm doing this this weekend

I will send what I discover

GlenM OP February 26th, 2022

Awesome! Let me know how it goes!

AffyAvo February 26th, 2022

Can this somehow be altered so as to not shock someone?

Imaging this exercise if you think you will die at 95 is likely a vastly different experience for someone who has been given a life threatening or terminal diagnosis when not even halfway there. I know for me that's the case.

It's difficult to focus on following through on the exercise while trying to calm that sinking in the pit of your stomach sensation.

I did the LDP about a year after really awful news. I felt totally blindsided by this exercise at the time. Some really lovely people supported me through it, but it's unnecessary to build it up as it is, with a bit of a 'front' of a safe comforting space to imaging being dead. Even now, being less emotionally connected to what happened to me in the past, and knowing what was to come after getting a few sentences in this is upsetting to read.

I think we need to keep in mind, people are coming here to a variety of issues that are causing them distress.

Hi Affy, thank you for sharing this perspective. It sounds like

some fellow community members helped you navigate it through the LDP. Did they do anything in particular to help?

Also, the first time I did this, i thought I was going to pass very young. I have Huntington’s Disease in my family. I hadn’t been tested yet. I completed it in a similar manner. At the time, I thought I would pass by 50 and not have children, so I didn’t have any imaginary children at my funeral exercise. It still helped me identify a path to meaning in the context of what I thought was going to be a shorter life. It actually gave me

more insight into how I might want to live my short life. I was close to my grandfather who died from HD. It helped me redeem his loss and give meaning to a more challenging path.

I’m very open to any ideas on how to modify it so that it is helpful to all.

AffyAvo February 26th, 2022

@GlenM When you're describing the exercise prior to the exercise itself I think it would be helpful to include what the exercise involves. Ie. Imaging what happens at our funeral/what people would say after we die. It the allows gor the decision as to whether or not someone wants to do the exercise at the moment rather than imaging a setting and being surprised by it partway through.

Thanks for sharing your experience with Huntington's disease. It does affect a lot of life decisions when facing that possibility.

I have made some great relationships here and have met really amazing people. Knowing that people care when going through difficult things helps a fair bit.

Physically, I have been unable to do many things throughout my 30s but I have had amazing relationships on and offline. I think I have prompted changes that hopefully make others' paths a little smoother. In 2019 I had multiple doctors telling me not to have hope and while they didn't give me a timeframe I think in that moment they wouldn't have thought I would have even made it to 2021. I hope to finish off some of the current projects before I hit 40 and hopefully can be just as effective in that following decade.

Loveyourfate February 26th, 2022

Wow this is a great exercise. I'm going to do it as soon as I can.

🙌

ouiCherie February 26th, 2022

@GlenM 💜 thank you for this...I'd say, enlightenment. Ever since LDP, this has been my lighthouse in living my life.

It's not always easy, but rarely anything is. And I can always try again.

Additionally, as a God believer, I hope one day I'll be able to say, it's not much but I've done my best with a tiny little power You bless me with. That's the spot where I wanna be.

This is really beautiful. I totally agree. Whatever we have been given and how we can help. Also, lighthouse is a very nice way of capturing if. It helps us see through the storms, which of course there are many!

SparkyGizmo February 26th, 2022

@GlenM

Hi Glen! 😊❤️ Thank you for such an amazing forum post! I "walked the path" mentally and oddly enough, I feel pretty solid with the choices I have made. It was good for me to do so never the less and I enjoyed the exercise! I'm grateful that you shared it with all of us. *high fives* 😊 There is so much value in this!

Also, thank you for sharing of yourself here in this thread, I just read one of your responses. That for me also was a WOW moment. Thank you for your leadership and even if at times you show it through being vulnerable! There is power in authenticity and so much strength in vulnerability! again *high fives* 😊 and *hugs* ❤️

LighterDay68 February 27th, 2022

I have contemplated my own passing for many years but always from the perspective of being on my death bed and wondering if I had any regrets. That exercise does help me keep the important things in focus and prod me into action. A few years ago I learned that the ancient Stoic philosophers used the same practice to make sure they were getting the most out of life.

I can't really picture the kind of scene you described with many people in attendance so I'll put my own twist on this which gets at the same point I think.

On my drive that autumn day I go to meet my daughter out our favorite hiking spot. She doesn't greet me and at first I think she has some sort of practical joke in mind. Then her dog does not greet me either and that is when I know something is up. Dogs aren't the best practical jokers. I notice she has been crying and the picture starts to become more clear.

I follow along as she heads into the woods in silence. She visits several of our favorite spots and breaks down a few times. Slowly she starts talking to her dog and tells him she's not sure how she is supposed to go on. She then starts telling him about what we went through together and how we helped each other keep going. Slowly laughter starts replacing the tears as she recounts the times we shared. By the end of the hike I can see she learned the lesson I most wanted to teach her: How to keep going when this day arrived.

Seeing her drive away I turn my attention to the one other person who would feel a deep impact from my passing. What started as me lending a helping hand as a Listener here turned into a friendship where we helped each other heal. Even though we were half a world apart and never met in person we gained strength from knowing each other. I checked her Instagram page and there was a post of the picture she had painted and sent to me years before. The accompanying words were: "Thank you for giving me the courage to keep trying and eventually love myself again. You gave me hope when I had none."

Helgafy February 27th, 2022

@GlenM

Hi Glen.

Well, I will not comment this site. But I'll again take the opportunity to thank you so much for all the good work you give to 7Cup. I like very much to join sharing-circle, not to share - but to read about others and support them in their struggle. And listen; 2 days ago a new person came in -"I'm so lonely, I don't have anybody etc." We talked with him. And afterwords he said "Now I'm feeling better." How great is that. That's what you and 7Cup does.

From Helga.

TheDude0156 February 28th, 2022

I can't see it. It's black letters on black background

February 28th, 2022

I'm gonna give it a try, thank you Glen ❤

BeamsOfHope00 February 28th, 2022

@GlenM When I first saw the exercise, I thought it was a wonderful idea. I still think the principle is good, but when I did it I found it really triggering. I understand what it's for, and I love the idea, but I personally get really triggered by thinking about how 'I let people down' for example my Mom was one of the people on my list (I know that's unreasonable because she'll probably die before me, but I don't really care) so for my Mom I wanted to write: 'is a great daughter who I could always count on' but my slow self-esteem started telling me uncontrollably things like 'you're never going to be a good daughter, you can't rely on yourself to take care of your health or school so how in the world is she going to rely on you, etc.,) now I understand that the point of this was to find things to improve but I think that was the main thing that triggered me, because I have tried so hard to improve every single moment of the day and I haven't even made progress.. After O change my people to friends I already felt open with I could come up with small things that I knew I did and that benefited me a lot. I was deeply triggered but so happy with making my own modifications to it. I still love the idea of this exercise though and will try it at a future date. Keep making awesome activities 💜

LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS February 28th, 2022

@GlenM

What a beautiful exercise. Thank you for sharing this with us as I believe it's a gift for us to really look within and find out what means the most to us.

I actually had this experience today and it wasn't me but it was a loved one that I was sharing my wishes with and the way he unconditionally loved me truly meant everything to me. So I would say unconditional love is what I would want to be known for by those closest to me and the warmth that comes with that too.

For many and even including myself, to visualise the process of our death can seem daunting and even traumatic although, what I have learned from the time I spent with a loved one who passed away recently is that the end of life is just as much of a gift as the beginning when life is born. Often it's a time of great reflection where we think about just what that person meant to us or even what we could have done differently.

Want more personalized guidance? Check out my profile
justbrit March 2nd, 2022

Saving this for later when I have a little more space for it :)

Sher217 March 3rd, 2022

@GlenM

Hey Glen,

Thank you for sharing this post. This was a very powerful exercise that was difficult to face. I hope that I am sharing correctly. Based on how I have lived my life, here is what what I hope the 3 people closest to me would say about me:

I always knew Mom loved me.

She told me and showed me in so many ways, that I never doubted her unconditional love for me.

She was strong and supported me during my weakest moments in life.

She always believed in me, even when I doubted myself.

She was my Mom and my best friend.

I could tell her anything and she wouldn't judge me.

She never tried to hide her life or her struggles from me because she used what she knew to help me grow.

She prepared me for life after she was gone.

My sister had a fighting spirit to rise above what we went through as kids.

She was my protector.

She was crazy, fun loving, and we laughed until we cried together throughout our lives.

She left us way too young.

~ Sher

Gettingbettertoday January 30th, 2023

@GlenM

There is not much to say. I imagine they would say He was a nice enough person but that is about it.

Why would people mourning me give me a track on finding purpose.