Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Things no one tells you about Self-Harm: Trigger Warning

Jenna November 18th, 2017

Everyone mentions the same things when they talk about self-harm. This is what I wish someone told me about self-harm before I fell into its tight gripping claws.

1) It's not only the cuts/bruises/burns/scratches that you have to hide. You have to hide the bloodied tissues, the used band-aids, the band-aid wrapper, and the thing you used to harm.

2) When you shower the dried blood drips out of your band-aid and down your body creating little dark red, almost brown, colored streams. It scares you at first because you think it's opened again.

3) It becomes an addiction. It becomes the only thing that helps.

4) It eventually doesn't help anymore but you keep doing it in the hope it will.

5) Your body will scar and at first, you will like it but eventually, you get sick looking at them.

6) On a bad day, you run out of space.

7) Your band-aids will soak through your jeans or top after a shower and make an obvious square or rectangle patch.

8) They start to smell bad if not looked after.

9) You constantly think about them.

10) Your sleep will hurt and every move you make will too when they are fresh. You act as you like it. You don't.

11) People will never take it seriously enough.

12) They itch like mad whilst they heal.

13) You eventually get frustrated if it has no effect.

14) You don't cry when you do it. You feel nothing. Not. A. Thing.

15) It's so so so hard to escape it.

16) It isn't beautiful. It isn't a fairy tale. It won't help you find love. It is a monster that ruins lives.

Please think of all these things before you hurt yourself. You don't want to. I sound like a hypocrite because I do but trust me, you don't want to fall down the dark hole that I and many other people are already in. Put down your fist, blade, lighter, cut your nail short, and get help.

Infernalstick February 8th, 2018

@Jenna #14 got me, I sometimes feel like I'm the only one that feels like that when I SH, but maybe it is normal not to cry.

Jenna OP August 24th, 2018

@Infernalstick

I think it's normal to react in any way that is best for you during that. Mostly because we all react differently and no reaction is wrong.

defaultname254 April 12th, 2023

@Infernalstick Same I sometimes even giggle while I do it

Jessbooklover December 6th, 2023

@Infernalstick

Same

RecoveringFlower February 9th, 2018

@Jenna

wonderfully said

@RecoveringFlower

Thank you, sweets.

rebecca947 January 21st, 2018

@Jenna

Woah OK I'm so sorry for what happened just then...?! I was typing a reply and then my laptop refreshed the site automatically and that happened...

I was trying to say- I almost cried at how raw and true this post was. Every point you made was so relatable and went straight to my heart. I agree with every one of them, especially points 4, 6, 9, 10, 12 and 16. Thank you so much for writing this post. xx

Oh, how I wish someone told me this before... but then again, I wonder if I would have listened...

@rebecca947

Awh, deary ♥♥♥ I'm glad this post was relatable for you. I hope it was also helpful.

rebecca947 August 27th, 2018

@Jenna

it definitely was :) xx

GuardianAngel77 August 25th, 2018

@Jenna

So very true!! Thank you!! For this Thread Post so others know how it is!!

Jenna OP August 27th, 2018

@GuardianAngel77

You're very welcome.

Akor1 August 27th, 2018

@Jenna

This is really a terrific post and I hope anyone considering self harm reads it and really, really, really thinks on the points it makes. #3, I heard about it, didn't beleive it. I hope people take your post to heart.

Jenna OP August 27th, 2018

@Akor1

Thanks so much! I hope so, too.

enchantedlove August 18th, 2020

@Jenna

I know this post is very old, but I was looking through the forums and happened to stumble upon it. I relate to these so much and they went and touched my very inner core. Thanks for making this post to help others out <3

GhostGirl2 August 20th, 2020

@Jenna

If anyone told me 1 thing before I started, I would've LOVED to know about the f*cking itching!

I used to HATE the itching, it was so, SO annoying. It is quite literally an itch you cannot scratch!

When I was in high school and in my 'peek' of cutting, I was doing it every day, but I always did it in the same spot, specifically so they wouldn't get itchy. (On top of all the other reasons) Then when I quit, (I quit literally overnight) the itching was the WORST part of the recovery process.

I had gone from never letting them heal, to letting them heal all at the same time. It was absolutely the worst part for me.

The band-aids thing and tissues, I never really dealt with, because I would basically let them free-bleed/ soak into the fabirc of my pants. (Also: Trigger Warning? I used to sometimes taste the blood)

The not feeling anything I've seen a lot of other people talk about, so I don't know if I was doing it wrong, but I always felt the most when I cut. But when I did it, there is like this flash through my brain, and it felt like I could finally breath again. (Maybe that moment of clarity is what people mean?)

juliak1968 October 7th, 2020

Sadly

Everyone

Lives

Foolishly

Hoping

All

Returns

Momentarily

Goldcherry2113 October 7th, 2020

@Jenna Man You didn't have to call me out like that

galaxyGirl299 December 23rd, 2020

@Jenna This is so true. I wish I knew all these things before I started self-harming.

Faith4anewbeginning December 31st, 2020

@Jenna

I wish I saw this before I got addicted

Basorexiaaa March 10th, 2021

@Jenna

Aight now this gave me goosebumps....I'm literally in tears. You're right, you gotta hide almost everything and yes when that thing happens during showering...I literally get scared. Yeah, at some point it stops helping but idk you feel like doing it again and again. Right now I'm seriously getting annoyed at myself...seeing these scars are making me feel like I disappointed myself? Sleeping when it's fresh it damn hard you cant even move...it's like you gotta freeze! One movement and it's opened. That's true, you feel nothing while doing it....it's just numb...

TheMadHatterWasHere April 24th, 2023

@Jenna I relate strongly to this one:

"3) It becomes an addiction. It becomes the only thing that helps."

TheMadHatterWasHere April 24th, 2023

@Jenna I have never had as bad panic attacks as after I stopped cutting. Maybe it will help if I cut again I dunno.

Jenna OP May 17th, 2023

@TheMadHatterWasHere

I can't say it would or wouldn't help, but I am sorry that stopping has been a negative thing for you. I hope you're able to find a healthier way to cope that is a lot more helpful.

@Jenna I wish I had a healthier way to cope honestly, but I don't.

Birchtreebird11 April 25th, 2023

@Jenna I only feel resentment and anger.
sooty41 May 11th, 2023

Thank you for your bravery and courageous words. It has almost been a life long battle for me and i am ever so tired of it. The addictive nature is the dangerous part.

If it helps anyone, anti histamines have helped me with the infernal itching. I truly hope that everyone can heal, physically, mentally and spiritually. You deserve only the best, Gentle hugs to everyone xxx

Jenna OP May 17th, 2023

@sooty41

Hey there. I'm sorry that you have been battling this for so long. You're right the addictive nature is really hard to break. Thanks for the tip on the itching and what could help it. I hope one day you're able to defeat this. Hang in there.

sooty41 May 20th, 2023

@Jenna

Thank you and i wish the best for you too xx

Birchtreebird11 May 17th, 2023

@Jenna

I don't hide anything besides making sure my scars are covered when I'm in public.

for your tenth point, you can't know what another person likes. I actually do.

It makes me feel less alone.

Jenna OP May 17th, 2023

@Birchtreebird11

I hear you. Keep in mind this post is not a one size fits all. Everyone is different when it comes to their struggles and coping methods. This is just some general things that I know about. What works for you and how you feel about it is valid.

trueconfidant123 June 27th, 2023

@Jenna

I appreciate you posting this Jenna. We hardly talk about it and I am glad you remind us to think twice before drowning in this cycle of self-harm.

EmmaSwan18 July 3rd, 2023

@Jenna I havent done that in almost 2 years. I thought I was ok. I still had urges and the desire to do it, but I never gave in. I started reducing my meds with orders from my psychiatrist and at first everything was fine. But then little by little it was like I was drowning again and all that could save me and aliviate the pain was to just do it... I havent yet because I promised my sister the last time it happened it would be the last (it was really bad that time)... So Ive been fighting it with all I have but its so hard... Im afraid I wont make it

niamh333 August 19th, 2023

@Jenna I have just come across this and it is so real and well written! A great piece for others to hopefully read before they fall down the hole we did..

I appreciate you <3

Nala31 August 20th, 2023

Thank you for this I recently started cutting and I’m trying to stop your post makes me feel a little less alone

etherealize December 7th, 2023

i wish I had read this before I fell down the hole…

LostGirl92 May 15th

Over 6 years clean so these are good reminders when struggling with thoughts of relapse.

navyShip8654 September 7th

@Jenna thank you for this. ❤️ You made me feel understood. One more point I wish I knew before is that I’ll regret 3 minutes later. It happens every time but I still do it again.