Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

"Safety is an ongoing conversation"

Heather225 June 24th

I was having a chat with @PetiteSouris about the power of education in online safety and it got me thinking about how I view safety as an ongoing conversation.

I think one of the most effective methods we have for keeping ourselves safe online is to be talking to each other, sharing experiences, lessons learned, and wisdom from our own research and experiences with safety. Some of have extensive experience, and others are still figuring out how to navigate the wide world of the internet, including 7 Cups. We prioritize safety, given the nature of our platform, and we want to empower everyone to take control of theirs. We can do this by sharing what we know!

Here's where you come in:

Please share some tips you've picked up on keeping yourself safe, especially as it relates to our community.

There's no overcommunicating when it comes to upholding safety so let's keep talking!

Heather225 OP June 24th

I'll start by mentioning one of our fundamental features for raising safety concerns. We have a “Report an Issue” link to take you directly to our support deskYou can find it in the dropdown on your profile picture, in the Group Rooms and private chats (the three dots), and on the right-hand side of your dashboard: https://www.7cups.com/dashboard/ 

You can use it for virtually any safety issue/user reporting.

This is the link if you just want to bookmark it: https://help.7cups.com/hc/en-us/requests/new/

screen-shot-2024-06-24-at-12-49-23-pm_1719258587.png

PatienceImpatiens June 24th

I’m really glad you posted this as a topic. The most powerful action I’ve come across for myself is, difficult as this is at times, to just simply step away. 

Love,

Patience

AffyAvo June 24th

The lengths some people go to ....

Some of the offers made to try to convince me to connect off-site have been things I wouldn't have imagined. 

A lot of things here are dealt well with using the report options - the report form already shared, blocking and the emergency mod form in group chats, the block and report in 1-1s, flagging in the forums. After years here though there are some things that just stand out, or form a pattern that isn't typical, I do tend to shoot off direct messages plus still use the regular report method to have it documented. There's some awesome people with safety roles here people can reach out to if they have questions or concerns. Sometimes alerts are sent out site-wide because of things leaders have picked up on/been informed about.

PetiteSouris June 25th

@Heather225

Here's where you come in:

Please share some tips you've picked up on keeping yourself safe, especially as it relates to our community.

Tips while using Cups and for general online safety:

1) For all mentors on the 7cups: Remind your mentees about the safety rules in our community.While having a teaching moment with your mentees, remind them about importance of the rules and share the links for the site rules too. Sometimes we assume that our mentees are familiar with the rules, but many times they are not cognizant about the effects of violating the rules. I feel that  for some listeners joining the site, the rules may have been overlooked when signing up to the site. However, if a mentee gete the opportunity to talk 1-1 with their mentor about how breaking the rules can affect their lives then the likelihood of paying attention maybe higher. 

2) If in the event someone broke the “no offsite rule” and  are being harmed off of 7cups, immediately cut connection with the person harming you. Do not continue to engage with them, do not send them farewell messages. Tell someone who is close to you what happened, a family member or a friend. If your life was threatened contact law enforcement in your country and tell them everything. This is one consequence of not abiding by site rules: the person on the other end may not have your best interest at heart.

3) For everyone in the Listener Rooms and mentors in general:  If a member or listener has informed you that they made a mistake and shared personal information or went offsite with another user, kindly do not berate them or behave condescendingly towards them. I can recall an instance in the Listener Room where someone’s response was, "Well that's why the rules are in place, thats their own fault.” This site has many younger volunteers, and many people who are vulnerable for any given number of reasons. These impressionable groups may fall prey, and will need your support. If you are witness to someone opening up in the rooms, kindly talk to them 1-1.  If we turn our backs on these people who made mistakes, they are least likely to come forward for help.

For General Safety in our personal lives:

3) In life, I like to always follow my instinct or gut feeling. For me, if something feels off about someone or something it usually is certainly not right. For example: If you feel like someone is following you in a grocery store or while driving home, follow your instinct. My police department reminds people to not go home if they feel they are being followed home. Drive to a public location where there are a lot of people. Ensure that the area is well lit, and call your local police.

4) This is for general safety in our personal lives: My county police department reminds everyone if they are buying or selling from someone online, to conduct the trade at a police station. If you are going to meet up with someone from dating apps (nowadays many  people use these apps), meet that person in a public area. Ensure that you tell someone who you trust, where you are going. If you are a college student, this can be your friend, your tutor, or your Resident Assistant. Technology on our phones allows us to share our  locations. You can share  your location with your family members or friends at anytime. I share it with my family when I am going to unfamiliar places.

5) With the rise in online scams, be very vigilant of anyone confessing their love to you quickly. You can read more about Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) tips on romance scams here: Romance Scams and here San Diego FBI warns of Romance Scams.  The best thing to do if you suspect you are chatting with  a scammer, is to cut ties. If you live in the US, you can report the incident by calling your local FBI office or police department. If you are not in the US, familiarize yourself with reporting cyber crimes in your country.  Sometimes these scammers will use individuals as money mules. Being a money mule is a crime. Even if you fell victim to being a money mule, you will still be liable for the crime. 

Be safe everyone! 

Heather225 OP June 27th

tagging in our lovely safety head @RebekaH! Rebekah feel free to tag in some of your team too to chime in!