Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Safety Discussion - Spam/Advertising in Bios

January 27th

Hi everyone! 😊

Welcome to the third and final part of the 3-part series of Safety Discussions on bios. The first and second part, about bio basics and bio offsite contact, can be found here and here.

7 Cups is a platform for listeners to provide emotional support, and for members to seek emotional support. So, anything that goes beyond that can damage the supportive environment which has been built here with lots of effort.

One of these things is spam or advertising content in bios. These can be unprofessional, unhelpful, triggering for some, or can lead to offsite contact. What’s more, such content can be annoying too!

Let’s see what kind of advertising/spam is not allowed in our bios.

1. Offering therapy or counselling services

2. Services offering advice on anything, including those which claim to cure or diagnose people, or offer religious advice

3. Live streams on any platform

4. Spam - Offering Miracle products

5. Diet products (can be triggering for those with Eating Disorders)

6. Lottery or prize contests

Questions:

1. Do you have another example(s) of advertising which you think is not allowed in bios?

2. What would you do if you come across a profile with its bio containing any kind of advertising content discussed above?

For any queries on Safety (flagging/outreaching/discussions), you’re welcome to message tommy or Rebekah!

Resources for further reading 👇:

(all text in blue are clickable)

January 27th

Tagging the Safety Team:

@EvelyneRose @Rebekah @tommy @positivePumpkin22 @AuRewolf @KristenHR @KindnessMatters2020 @LightsFromDark @Rui00 @iPHOENIX @EmotionsListener @Dystopiatae95 @blissart @LittleBirdie30 @SolaceCares @SirenOfSerenity @Lou73 @Jenna @MistyMagic @fruityPond7887 @Hamstermum @MelodyoftheOcean @AffyAvo @Sunisshiningandsoareyou @kindheartedlily @florablossom3319 @blissfulSky8162 @sereneMirage8103 @courageousDreamer8927 @Jiminycricket91 @kyan1 @Raspberrycheesecake @MattForHelp @radiantLight33 @TabbyCat97 @LandOfHopesx3 @Daf8 @Optimisticempath @coco128 @jundaee @pandanfe @Artalistens @Bunnylovesyou @WatermelonLover22 @Suryansh @SparkyGizmo @rubyjane00 @niamh333 @lovelyApple6441 @LOOPHOLE @azuladragon34 @Ralien @fantasticJet1739 @Grace3012 @Mahad2804 @HachiBee @LoveMyMoonflowers @OllieRNLI999 @sweetmikayla @DanCat1128 @izzyy528 @dreamIcicle8467 @KateDoskocilova

KateDoskocilova January 27th

@AuRewolf

1. Do you have another example(s) of advertising which you think is not allowed in bios? sharing offsite websites of any kind as a form of an ad.

2. What would you do if you come across a profile with its bio containing any kind of advertising content discussed above? as a safety patrol member, i would flag the profile for advertising on their bio.

January 28th

@KateDoskocilova

Yes, sharing offsite websites of any type is also not allowed. Thanks for adding to the list!

Yes, we Safety Patrol members can flag profiles with bio having any kind of spam/advertising 😄

MistyMagic January 28th

@AuRewolf  Thanks for posting all of these safety posts.

Can I just ask for clarification please on this part, it may be an understanding or language misunderstanding but here where you wrote:-

"Let’s see what kind of advertising/spam is not encouraged in our bios."

Saying not encouraged is totally different to not allowed or banned or not acceptable. I have always been told and understood that advertising or spam was not allowed and banned from our profiles/bios, should be reported and will be removed. Sorry to be picky but this was mentioned to me and I agreed that perhaps your wording is not entirely accurate here?

Listening - One Step At A Time!

cloudySummer January 28th

@MistyMagic Indeed. I hadn't seen your post before I wrote mine.

@Jon7Cups Can you explain why my post below is collapsed while others are not? Is it the mention of an undesirable word?

January 29th

@MistyMagic

Thanks for pointing it out! I should have gone with 'allowed', not 'encouraged'

cloudySummer January 29th

@AuRewolf Do you have the necessary permission to edit your own posts?

January 29th

@cloudySummer

I've asked someone else to edit the post to reflect 'not allowed' instead of 'not encouraged', and it has been done.

You should see the change in the main post 😊

cloudySummer January 29th

@AuRewolf Cool, thanks!

@AuRewolf So selling drugs would be okay?

I find it odd that these things you mention above are 'not encouraged' and that they are the only categories of spam and ads that are forbidden. Is that true?

No sales, services, ... of any kind should be allowed on this platform, unless it is listening.

I always thought that was the case, and accounts whose bios contained something of the kind would be kicked out of the platform.

If it is not, I think 7Cups should urgently review their rules and implement that...

January 29th

@cloudySummer

Yes, such kind of bios should be flagged. It looks to be a case of language misunderstanding.

I should have gone with 'not allowed' instead of 'not encouraged'.

I appreciate you for pointing it out!

MistyMagic January 28th

@AuRewolf  @cloudySummer  This seems to be happening, we have flagged it up as a bug here https://www.7cups.com/forum/siteupdates/Siteupdatesandchanges_2007/ForumFunctionalityProvideFeedbackHere_274852/?post=3455529 

I actually can't respond to your post Cloudy, it won't let me, and your long reply was collapsed too, so I am having to post here to the op.

Listening - One Step At A Time!

@MistyMagic Thanks!

(I think it's an issue with the max. nesting depth. Maybe there's no differentiation between nesting and order of posts, so it thinks the collapsed post is a reply to the previous one ...)

Or maybe not. The words buried and drugs could be hidden because someone thinks they can be triggering. This post is a test.