Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Safety Discussion - Profile Pictures

December 23rd, 2023

Hey hey everyone! 🩷

hello-there-hello.gif

Welcome to the first Safety Discussion in forums! 😀

Your profile picture is one of the first things users notice when they stumble on your profile. It is something which shows who you are as a person, to members and listeners alike.

Many of you have wondered what is an appropriate and safe profile picture, and how to choose a photo for your profile picture, that does not violate 7 Cups’ site guidelines. If you’re confused about picking the right picture for your profile picture, then don’t worry! That is what this discussion is for 😊

Let’s dive in! 👇

What is a safe profile picture?

An appropriate and safe profile picture IS the one that:

• Exudes warmth, positivity, compassion, and friendliness 

• Is unique - it should not be used anywhere else on the Internet

• Something you feel comfortable showing to the entire world

An appropriate and safe profile picture IS NOT:

• One of your social media pictures, as reverse image search is easy these days 😬

• Representative of violent, sexually explicit, political or any triggering/graphic content.

• A picture of celebrities, or flags [identity flags (e.g. pride flags) are okay!]

Now for the fun part - questions! 🥁

1. In your eyes, what is an appropriate and safe profile picture?

2. Are there any grey areas while choosing pictures for your profile picture? If yes, what are those grey areas?

3. A fun question for you!

What profile picture would you choose to represent yourself?

Tag 3 of your 7Cups friends to involve them in sharing knowledge about safety here!

If you have spotted a profile that needs to be flagged, feel free to message one of the Safety Patrol members with the username here

For any queries on Safety (profile flagging/outreaching/discussions), you’re welcome to message @Rebekah or @tommy!

Resources on profile pictures 👇:

(all text in blue are clickable)

Tagging members of Safety team:
@EvelyneRose @Rebekah @tommy @positivePumpkin22 @AuRewolf @KristenHR @KindnessMatters2020 @Lunaire00 @LightsFromDark @iPHOENIX @Comphi @EmotionsListener @Dystopiatae95 @blissart @LittleBirdie30 @SolaceCares @SirenOfSerenity @Lou73 @Jenna @MistyMagic @fruityPond7887 @Star001 @Hamstermum @MelodyoftheOcean @AffyAvo @Sunisshiningandsoareyou @kindheartedlily @richuyulin @florablossom3319 @blissfulSky8162 @sereneMirage8103 @courageousDreamer8927 @Jiminycricket91 @kyan1 @Raspberrycheesecake @MattForHelp @radiantLight33 @TabbyCat97 @LandOfHopesx3 @Daf8 @Optimisticempath @coco128 @jundaee @pandanfe @Artalistens @Bunnylovesyou @WatermelonLover22 @Suryansh @SparkyGizmo @rubyjane00 @niamh333 @lovelyApple6441 @LOOPHOLE @azuladragon34 @Rui00 @Ralien @fantasticJet1739 @Grace3012 @Mahad2804 @HachiBee @LoveMyMoonflowers @OllieRNLI999

cloudySummer December 23rd, 2023

@AuRewolf

1. In your eyes, what is an appropriate and safe profile picture?

• One that does not show a person's face, as face recognition is a thing nowadays, too. It is comparatively easy to identify persons automatically. Tattoos or other identifiable body parts aren't a good idea, either.
    • One that does not flicker or move like crazy (or even better: one that doesn't move at all!). There are people here who are sensitive to moving pictures, either because of a physical issue (epilepsy) or because of problems with overstimulation (autism).
    • One that doesn't look frightening, sexually suggestive, or otherwise inappropriate.
  2. Are there any grey areas while choosing pictures for your profile picture? If yes, what are those grey areas?

• I think for listeners, it can be okay to use a photo of their face, if they strictly adhere to the guideline that says they are not supposed to share their own mental health struggles here. Because it is comparatively easy to identify them. But if they do not want to be stalked, they shouldn't do it.
  3. A fun question for you!

What profile picture would you choose to represent yourself?

• I already have one.

December 23rd, 2023

@cloudySummer

Agree with you on face recognition thing.

Profile pictures which flicker or move like crazy (like some old GIF profile pictures on here), can be bothersome for some people, as you described. I can see why, and it'd a good idea to go for a calm profile picture in such cases.

For listeners, using photos of their faces sounds like a grey area, because on one side, there is the risk of being identified as well as stalking, but also to show that they are not a bot and to show that there's a fellow human being sitting on the other side of the screen, providing support to others.

@AuRewolf I don't know how you show that you're not a bot by using a photo of a person, nowadays... That isn't a safe bet anymore, and it really never was, one could just use the picture of another person.

@AuRewolf Btw. sharing screenshots of tables instead of copying them in is not a good practice for accessibility reasons. People with bad eyes who use this website may find it very difficult to decipher. People who need screenreaders to help them will not be able to see what the times are at all.

December 23rd, 2023

@cloudySummer

Thanks for thinking of that!

I'm aware of that, as I've already included the text version of schedule right below the table in my December discussion schedule post.

I will try to put the text version first in future announcements 😊

@AuRewolf Sorry, I hadn't realized it was already there (and can't find it now, as I've posted this on the wrong thread, lol).

Daf8 December 28th, 2023

❤️ To me, an appropriate and safe profile picture is one that: doesn't include anything inappropriate (like sexual content, graphic content, discriminatory content and/or triggering content), is untraceable (as in, it cannot be used to identify and/or find you offsite), doesn't put you in danger (like a picture of you in front of your home, therefore revealing your home address), doesn't lie (for example, a picture of someone that isn't you), doesn't include political content (because of exclusion and chances of arguments), you are okay with (literally) everyone seeing (even your grandma!), reflects who you are as a person and member/listener, and radiates compassion and support (especially for listeners) ❤️

❤️ I think one grey area is using pictures of ourselves, since they can convey compassion and help to connect with members, but they can also lead to stalking, actual danger, and inappropriate comments from users that are here for the wrong reasons. Some other grey areas are using content that could be triggering for some (like a picture of food, religious content or certain phrases) and plain or black photos: both are allowed and okay to use, but the former may trigger some people (which is not what we're looking for) and the latter doesn't emit support ❤️

❤️ My own! I made it by myself (I made it especially for 7 Cups!) when I signed up ❤️

December 28th, 2023

@Daf8

I agree. Using pictures of ourselves can be a tricky area, and a fine line to balance between being supportive and being triggering.

Also, your profile picture is lovely!

Daf8 December 30th, 2023

❤️ @AuRewolf ❤️

❤️ Yes, it's a dilemma: To use that photo or not to use that photo? Haha. At the end of the day, it's about choosing the safest and most supportive picture we can find ❤️

❤️ Awww, thank you! It means a lot (because making it took a lot of work haha), so thank you so much for your sweet words and for being so lovely ❤️

ThankYouForLettingMeTryingToHelp December 28th, 2023

@AuRewolf Very informative. Thank you!!

December 28th, 2023

@ThankYouForLettingMeTryingToHelp

Glad to know that the post was informative for you!