Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Let's play a game! Safety Tips!

Heather225 August 5th, 2018

Reply with ONE tip you know for staying safe online (and/or offline)!

This can be as simple as don't share your passwords, a security fact, or 7Cups-specific best practices. Anything you think is worth sharing that someone else may not know, or may even not be aware of! Let's impart our wisdom on each other as a community. You may learn something new. ✨✨✨

P.S. you can reply as much as you want!

Heather225 OP August 5th, 2018

Be really careful about links that send you somewhere where you need to log in again or give up your credentials. Look at the domains and check out if has a secure website connection and uses https.

lovelyWhisper66 August 6th, 2018

Be sure to wear your seatbelt when driving or being driven in a motor vehicle.

cloudySummer August 6th, 2018

Use an Ad-blocker, or if you're willing to invest more time, a javascript blocker, which often also blocks ads, and (potentially malicious) scripts. Ads are, in addition to being obnoxious, and a waste of time, a wonderful vehicle for viruses and other malware. If your computer doesn't load them, it cannot be infected.

cloudySummer August 6th, 2018

@cloudySummer (at least not by what comes in through ads)

ahealingEndoftherainbow22 August 6th, 2018

Change your password and PIN regularly and ensure that it's a combination of letters numbers and symbols.

Heather225 OP August 6th, 2018

@ahealingEndoftherainbow22

very true! i've heard it's recommended frequently changing pws on accounts or profiles that dont have two-factor authentication and for venues of communication, such as email. and at the least, you should change the passwords for your important accounts once to twice a year.

cloudySummer November 28th, 2023

@Heather225 That recommendation is not one endorsed by people who have to do with internet security.

@ahealingEndoftherainbow22 The changing is actually not a recommendation anymore, and is largely a myth, as the effect of that recommendation is usually that people choose passwords like 'password2023' and similar.

It's more important to choose a safe password with a lot of entropy and to not use the same password multiple times for different places.

enlightenedTree32 August 10th, 2018

Thank you for the tips! I don't know too much about internet safety so this was helpful.

Never leave a drink unattended. Have pepper spray with you. Lock your car as soon as you get in.

Heather225 OP August 10th, 2018

@enlightenedTree32

You're welcome! Stick with this SC and you'll learn plenty (I hope)! smiley

GOOD TIPS. The drink one is hugely important. I will also add to the pepper spray a military grade flashlight if you're out after dark. They can light up an entire alley.

AnnaSilverberg November 27th, 2023
@Heather225

No matter how good of a relationship you have with someone on site, 
never go off site with them, because it's never safe to do so. 

Always make sure you stay warm when you're outside.
The flu is no fun. 

✨💙
✨ 

@Heather225 Block listeners that do not seem safe. 7Cups doesn't reliably follow up with complaints, but you can protect yourself. (I've reported listeners who seem to not be in the right age category, someone who suggested offsite contact (twice, even), and someone who lied about the country they are in, and someone who lied about the language they speak, and nothing ever happened, even the wrong data is still there).