Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What is Bullying?

Happy900 April 27th, 2020

Bullying can be thought of as any behavior that is unwanted and unwelcomed, has a negative impact on the recipient, or bystanders and is unwarranted.

azuladragon34 April 27th, 2020

@Happy900

What Is Bullying

Bullying is unwanted, aggressive behavior among school aged children that involves a real or perceived power imbalance. The behavior is repeated, or has the potential to be repeated, over time. Both kids who are bullied and who bully others may have serious, lasting problems.

In order to be considered bullying, the behavior must be aggressive and include:

An Imbalance of Power: Kids who bully use their power—such as physical strength, access to embarrassing information, or popularity—to control or harm others. Power imbalances can change over time and in different situations, even if they involve the same people.

Repetition: Bullying behaviors happen more than once or have the potential to happen more than once.

Bullying includes actions such as making threats, spreading rumors, attacking someone physically or verbally, and excluding someone from a group on purpose.

Types of Bullying

There are three types of bullying:

Verbal bullying is saying or writing mean things. Verbal bullying includes:

Teasing

Name-calling

Inappropriate sexual comments

Taunting

Threatening to cause harm

Social bullying, sometimes referred to as relational bullying, involves hurting someones reputation or relationships. Social bullying includes:

Leaving someone out on purpose

Telling other children not to be friends with someone

Spreading rumors about someone

Embarrassing someone in public

Physical bullying involves hurting a persons body or possessions. Physical bullying includes:

Hitting/kicking/pinching

Spitting

Tripping/pushing

Taking or breaking someones things

Making mean or rude hand gestures

Where and When Bullying Happens

Bullying can occur during or after school hours. While most reported bullying happens in the school building, a significant percentage also happens in places like on the playground or the bus. It can also happen travelling to or from school, in the youths neighborhood, or on the Internet.

Frequency of Bullying

There are two sources of federally collected data on youth bullying:

The 2017 School Crime Supplement (National Center for Education Statistics and Bureau of Justice) indicates that, nationwide, about 20% of students ages 12-18 experienced bullying.

The 2017 Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) indicates that, nationwide, 19% of students in grades 9–12 report being bullied on school property in the 12 months preceding the survey.

Happy900 OP April 27th, 2020

@azuladragon34 Nice job

@azuladragon34 @Power @MidnightRaven @GodOnlyKnows 51

Please read azuladragon's post.

Also see mine above hers.

GreyMirror April 27th, 2020

@azuladragon34

I am dealing with adult bullying all the time.

Bullying has no age, it can be mental, highly physical or emotional, it can be related to bouts of power shows, display of dominance, mobbing, shunning, ganging, or just a person at work feeling "bossy".

Bullying never stops in childhood. It is a constant battle.

@GreyMirror I was bullied to. I am disabled.

azuladragon34 April 27th, 2020

@Happy900

Tagging: @Happy900

@Happy900

So therefore a forceful rescue of a suiccidal soul is considered bullying by your definition since:

Bullying can be thought of as any behavior that is unwanted and unwelcomed, has a negative impact on the recipient, or bystanders and is unwarranted.

Rescue is unwanted and unwelcomed, rescue has a negative effect on the recipient since it is not what thety want, negative impact obm bystanders since they want a suuccidal show and is unwarranted because noone asked you to save me.

By your definition, saving a suiccidal soul is definined as bullying...

@GreyMirror

When "creating" definitions, make sure you leace no room for confusions😉

RarelyCharlie May 5th, 2020

@GreyMirror I agree. 7 Cups needs a good definition of bullying so we know what we're up against. It's disappointing to see so much misinformation about bullying in the forum recently. Bullying is a serious issue that deserves a serious approach..

Charlie

satannight256 April 27th, 2020

i got bullied yeterday in the chatroom on here member community by about three people , they obviously didnt want me there ,it must be just a member only group or something ,i felt very welcome and left .

Happy900 OP April 28th, 2020

@satannight256 Sorry to here that. I know how you feel. I was bullied here at 7cups and in school. I have a learning disablity.

GreyMirror April 28th, 2020

@Happy900

I have lost a dear friend on 7cups with learning disability because she was bullied, mobbed and shunned...I am sad because of that...

Happy900 OP May 5th, 2020

@GreyMirror So sorry to here that.

blissfulbreeze007 June 18th, 2023

Thank you for sharing this valuable information about bullying. It's important to raise awareness and work towards creating a safer and more inclusive environment for everyone. Your contribution is appreciated.