Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Where can I find a list of the threads I'm following?

falconer42 January 11th, 2016

hi there mods and admins, it's me. again.

if there someplace i can look up all the threads i'm following? or i posted in? or started? i can't remember the name of a thread i started so i can't use the search function to find it...

thanks all!

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn January 11th, 2016

@falconer42

This is a feature we hope to add soon. It may come to the mobile app first...

ZaraSmiles January 11th, 2016

Hi there, sweet @falconer42

Thanks for creating this thread to answer a question that many of us wonder. Unfortunately, there is no function to view all the threads that we have subscribed to or created. However, one method that may work to find that thread is to use the search function and type in your username.

You can add the suggestion of having a list of following threads to the Member Suggestion Box, where the admins can then take a look at it.

Thank you so much for being here

AffyAvo January 12th, 2016

Doing what @ZaraSmiles with the search feature here doesn't always pick up all of them. Sometimes using the site-specific google search picks up ones that the search feature here won't.

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn January 16th, 2016

that's a great tip, @AffyAvo

i use it at a lot of sites

i wonder if we could even embed a google search...

helpfulVase1202 January 21st, 2016

@AffyAvo

Can you tell me what you mean by the site-specific search feature I'm not sure I understand I'm a little new to my smartphone

AffyAvo January 21st, 2016

@helpfulVase1202

To find my posts, I would put this into the google search bar:

site:https://www.7cups.com/forum/ AffyAvo

That way it only searches this forum.

@AffyAvo

Ty! I will give that a try also I just realized that the little bell in the corner notify me when you responded to my post. Thx again.

OrunLeon January 11th, 2016

@falconer42 - Zara makes a very good point about the name typing into search bar thing. However, I would advise against adding a suggestion for the suggestion box. This is due to the fact that doing so will take you approximately 2 minutes... and this is a waste of 2 minutes which you could be spending to do other useful things with. I would stick with the solution Zara made above and carry on with my day because there is very little probability of such a feature you suggested coming into practice. I can accurately predict the probability to be 0%.

Although you will not be able to gather every single thread you've posted/subscribed to etc, there is a good chance you can find most of them by going about it in the way Zara suggested, or from now onwards, also keep a Word document and copy/paste the URL of every thread you've made a post in then come back to it over time.

Best wishes :)

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn January 13th, 2016

@OrunLeon - i would give the odds of useful actionable suggestions like this happening of being much higher than 0%

Amelia January 15th, 2016

@OrunLeon

I think this has gotten better since specific people were assigned to the suggestion box team. They go through there, organize the suggestions, and present them to admin.

falconer42 OP January 13th, 2016

thanks all for the suggestions. i'm going to stay positive and continue to wish for the feature, though i will look into other ways of keeping track of my threads/posts. this is an odd forum, indeed, without this feature.

on the bright side, it most certainly aids in my mindfulness, in a way, since it makes it impossible for me to concern myself with things that are not of the moment, or of right now. which is a good thing.

i just kind of compulsively worry about threads being lost -- specifically if i post on someone else's thread and i want to ask on an update or follow up or just how they're doing now. just a me thing, i think. i don't like chat rooms, and being able to quickly go back to threads where i made a small connection with someone might aid in making bigger connections, you know?

i do understand that it's kind of a big deal to add a mod of this nature if it doesn't already exist. i'm not a database gal, so my understanding of what is required is vague, but i still get that it's a Big Thing, complicated queries and all that.

thanks for thinking about it, though!

@falconer42 - it is not necessarily a crushing effort, though it may require adjustments to thinks like indexing (to enable fast-enough database search to make your list without lag, etc.)

it's on my roadmap for the forums... we just have a lot to do!

falconer42 OP January 13th, 2016

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn yes, my understanding is that it isn't like a mammoth task, just kind of a time consuming one. and the keys are the speed and demands on the server.

glad it's on the road map! super plus thanks for that.

p.s. and it's cool if you don't answer this, but i've been wondering for a while now, are you all writing this from the ground up? if so, interesting... the entire UX/UI is rather different from any forum i've been on before, and i'm an old hand on forums (ah, bulletin boards, gopher, the old days of the receiver sitting in it's cups on top of the modem -- now i'm dating myself, lol).

it just appears that you all took the interesting approach of creating an app, then a web interface. points moving on trend. i'm just an old computer dinosaur, tee-hee, using a keyboard interface...

@falconer42 - i have bbs scars too, so i'm with you.

a lot of this site and app is hand-rolled. i believe @devteam built the forums from scratch.

the upcoming app release includes some improvements to the forum experience that we will then bring over to the desktop, but the backend code is still more or less the same.

falconer42 OP January 14th, 2016

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn well i gotta say right on to @devteam for building from the ground up. this site has a lot of interesting things pulled from the world of social media that other forums do not have, which is pretty cool. so thanks for all that you all do to make this a good place and a modern place. :)

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn January 14th, 2016

@falconer42 - i'm a real piker when it comes to code myself but i understand it well enough that when i look at some of @devteam's work i am amazed at how elegant and efficient it is.

I belong to another message board for pet loss and whenever I log in I can click on my name and it will tell me all posts that I've made and all threads that I've started. It has been very helpful for me as I've connected with other users and I'm able to stay on top of when they are having a bad day and or wish them well for bridge crossing days. I'm not quite sure what the subscribe feature on here does but it would be nice to have a similar feature on here as on the other board that I belong to.

Thank you to everyone on here that is supported me so greatly and kindly over the past few days since I have found 7 cups

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn January 21st, 2016

@helpfulVase1202 - great suggestions, thanks!

yes, we can (and will) eventually give everyone a direct link to their own posts and threads they've subscribed to.

Right now subscribing to a thread means you get notifications when it is updated.

The app we are about to release will let you bookmark favorite forums and will eventually give you a direct link to all your threads/posts. Then we'll get that onto the website as well.

Amelia January 22nd, 2016

@helpfulVase1202

I agree with @KrinkTheMellowUnicorn that these are great suggestions! Could you please submit them to the Member Suggestion Box--that way you can describe what you are referring to. Thanks!

helpfulVase1202 January 22nd, 2016

@Amelia

Hi amelia :) actuallY I did already click on the link that Zara smiles had in her post that same day n proceeded with posting to the suggestion area. I know someone said there was zero chance of change but I figured no harm done to ask anyway. I think I read elsewhere about keeping things anonymous . But since i dont know anything about programming and how this stuff works behind the scenes my intent was to provide enough data about that board in case anyone wanted to look at it to use as an example and see how they do it there. I hope i didnt break any TOS. I may have forgotten to mention that u can also click on other user names and see their posts n threads as well.

I will go back n make sure my post actually got posted (I'm still learning how to navigate thru this site) n if may have not clicked the final post button I will add the suggestion again.

Have an awesome day!

helpfulVase1202 January 22nd, 2016

@helpfulVase1202

Doh! Just realized the suggestion box is not a forum that I can go back n review.

I'm mostly sure the suggestiom did go thru tho. But please let me know if u thin I should put one in again.

Ty.

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn January 23rd, 2016

@helpfulVase1202 - @Anomalia is the volunteer who manages the suggestion box so if you are not sure the form went through you could check with her.

helpfulVase1202 January 24th, 2016

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn

I did a search n sent @anomalia a message explaining the topic within.

Thx :)

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn January 24th, 2016

@helpfulVase1202 - great!