Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Censorship

CloudlessGuy August 19th, 2015

A friend was just released from hospital and I am trying to be there for him. I was leaving the house and said that I will have my phone on me if he needs to text (phone as in 7 Cups app). I was censored. I had to come up with another word that meant the same so that he would know I was available and repost. This is ridiculous. This is what I have to say to 7 Cups on this matter: "In an effort to make 7 Cups a safe place, you are moving towards making it an ineffective forum. Maybe I will get banned for having this opinion but, if I want to talk to an automaton, I will use Siri. Don

Lyra August 19th, 2015

@CloudlessGuy

Thank you so much for your feedback and for bringing this to everyone's attention :) A new censor has been brought in recently, to a somewhat mixed reaction, you can add your thoughts on it here, if you'd like.

I too share a lot of your concerns, and this phrase I absolutely adore, it's the best description of the problem that I've seen:

''The opportunity for honesty is what makes 7 Cups unique''

(Tagging in @GlenM and @KrinkTheMellowUnicorn for their thoughts)

GlenM August 19th, 2015

@CloudlessGuy and @Lyra, we are working on updates now. Thanks for your patience :)

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn August 19th, 2015

I don't have much to add beyond what has been said in the other thread:

- we are listening and making adjustments

- every change has unintended consequences and this is a normal refinement process

- we're sorry if this has inconvenienced anyone

- we are all on the same team, so catastrophizing or viewing any such change (and there will always be changes) as a huge disaster or something that has ruined the site or the overall experiences feels a bit disproportionate to me.

- please remember that we who work for 7 cups are also just people, and we are fallible, and our intentions are never to harm or thwart the people in our community.

CloudlessGuy OP August 19th, 2015

I'm not sure if your response was a general one or specific to my post but - I am giving honest and constructive feedback and do not feel my response is in any way "catastrophizing" or "disproportionate". To suggest that it is, is somewhat dismissive and I hope that is not your intention. Please do not lose sight of what 7 Cups means to listeners and members alike and view this simply as an administrative misstep that people are overreacting to. Be gracious, and thank anyone who offers constructive criticism.

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn August 19th, 2015

sorry, was referring to the larger conversation elsewhere in the forum of which this is basically a new branch.

I'm certainly not dismissing any concerns not do I overlook the human aspect of what we do!

Thank you for the clarification and your apology. Best of luck with the "adjustments".

This is a response to @KrinkTheMellowUnicorn who appears to work for 7 Cups. I thought you may be interested in his post (below) and my response. Thank you for graciously accepting feedback. "The opportunity for honesty is what makes 7 Cups unique" - I stand behind that statement. I think this should also encompass member's opinions...something @KrinkTheMellowUnicorn seems to place little value on. Thanks again.

Sent to @KrinkTheMellowUnicorn: "

I'm not sure if your response was a general one or specific to my post but - I am giving honest and constructive feedback and do not feel my response is in any way "catastrophizing" or "disproportionate". To suggest that it is, is somewhat dismissive and I hope that is not your intention. Please do not lose sight of what 7 Cups means to listeners and members alike and view this simply as an administrative misstep that people are overreacting to. Be gracious, and thank anyone who offers constructive criticism."