Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What if someone reports a crime?

PianoMan August 18th, 2022

If someone were to confess a crime or an intention to commit a serious offence, how best are we able to respond to it?

im in the Uk and there was a famous case where a service similar to this called Samaritans, someone confessed a murder and the listener broke confidentiality and reported it. He lost his job and got into trouble.

thanks in advance for this tricky subject!

Sunisshiningandsoareyou August 18th, 2022

Hey @PianoMan, I understand how tricky these situations can be, great job on seeking assistance with the same.

Sharing a guide about handling such chats Here (clickable). In short though:

For chats about crime, we can support people if they want to talk about a past crime. (If we are comfortable with the topic)

We as listeners cannot support someone if they are actively engaged in committing a crime, or planning to engage in one, harming themselves or another. And should politely end the chat after letting them know of the same.

We cannot report those involved in a crime, due to the anonymous nature of this site. We can only encourage them to report to the local services/ authorities themselves.

Feel free to reach out to a listener coach or a mentor if you have any questions or need any support pertaining to chat situations or listener role anytime.

I hope this helps. ❤

calmMango9611 September 19th, 2022

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou I agree with what your saying.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

Sunisshiningandsoareyou August 11th, 2023

@calmMango9611 Appreciate you!

AffyAvo August 19th, 2022

@PianoMan I think there could be consequences for doing so. Sometimes who reports could be potentially making a false police report and may even be involved with swatting depending on the nature of the report. 7 cups wouldn't support the person who reported in a legal sense is my guess as we're told not to do this. Depending on how things work in a country you may als become known to the person you made a report against.

On 7cups, there could also be consequences for breaching confidentiality and asking for identifying information.

The only identities on 7cups that have gone through a decent process would be ATLs, staff and therapists as far as I know of and that information isn't generally shared.

calmMango9611 September 18th, 2022

@AffyAvo Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

I agree with what your saying.