Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Safety Discussion - Bio Basics

January 13th

Hi everyone! 😊

Your bio, found in your profile, is a place for you to express yourself and introduce yourself to the reader. It is also a place to learn more about the listener (for example, list of topics acceptable, updates on status etc.) or the member (some useful information which could help listeners during their 1-1 chats).

As there are a lot of things to be covered about bios, this discussion will be the first of a three-part mini-series of Safety Discussions about bios. 😄 You can find the second and third parts here and here

We will be covering the basics of bios and what is a professional bio, here.

That said, let’s check these basics out!

A professional bio IS the one where:

• You are honest about your work as a listener on 7 Cups

• Shows your current status - on break or currently accepting chats, for example

• Can be creative - it can be beautiful formatting, or simple text

A professional bio IS NOT the one that:

• Contains any personal contact/social media details (more on this in this discussion: Bios: Offsite Contact)

• Carries any inappropriate language

• Is too long - that can make readers lose interest or feel overwhelmed

Now for the question part! ✨

1. What would you put in your bio, so that it is professional?

2. What would you avoid putting in your bio? 

3. Are there any confusion with choosing what to put in your bio? If so, what are those?

Fun question: do you prefer simple text in your bio, or a beautiful bio with boxes or emojis? Do share the reason for your choices! 

Also do tag 3-4 of your 7Cups friends who share your preferences!

If you have spotted a profile that needs to be flagged, feel free to message one of the Safety Patrol members with the username here

For any queries on Safety (flagging/outreaching/discussions), you’re welcome to message @tommy or @Rebekah or @AuRewolf!

Resources on bios 👇:

(all text in blue are clickable)

madagascar-penguins.gif

January 13th

Tagging the Safety team:

@EvelyneRose @Rebekah @tommy @positivePumpkin22 @AuRewolf @KristenHR @KindnessMatters2020 @LightsFromDark @iPHOENIX @EmotionsListener @Dystopiatae95 @blissart @LittleBirdie30 @SolaceCares @SirenOfSerenity @Lou73 @Jenna @MistyMagic @fruityPond7887 @Hamstermum @MelodyoftheOcean @AffyAvo @Sunisshiningandsoareyou @kindheartedlily @florablossom3319 @blissfulSky8162 @sereneMirage8103 @courageousDreamer8927 @Jiminycricket91 @kyan1 @Raspberrycheesecake @MattForHelp @radiantLight33 @TabbyCat97 @LandOfHopesx3 @Daf8 @Optimisticempath @coco128 @jundaee @pandanfe @Artalistens @Bunnylovesyou @WatermelonLover22 @Suryansh @SparkyGizmo @rubyjane00 @niamh333 @lovelyApple6441 @LOOPHOLE @azuladragon34 @Rui00 @Ralien @fantasticJet1739 @Grace3012 @Mahad2804 @HachiBee @LoveMyMoonflowers @OllieRNLI999 @sweetmikayla @DanCat1128

@AuRewolf

Another great discussion, thank youu!❤

1. What would you put in your bio, so that it is professional? Availability/ Self care break, topics I'm comfortable supporting as a listener, topics I don't support, general expectations/ considerations, roles~ what can I support my peers better with and how, to name some hehe. 

2. What would you avoid putting in your bio? Anything personal, plus anything unwelcoming, in general anything that goes against the 7 cups guidelines and my personal values!

3. Are there any confusion with choosing what to put in your bio? If so, what are those? Not really.

Fun question: do you prefer simple text in your bio, or a beautiful bio with boxes or emojis? Do share the reason for your choices!  Simple is beautiful too, I think hehe, but I express myself better with colours and emojis, so the latter!

Also so do tag 3-4 of your 7Cups friends who share your preferences!

@Bluerivercares @AnnaSilverberg @MollySofia @wishfulwillow6962 

January 15th

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

Hey Sun! Thanks for sharing your sun-awesome answers! ☀️

I like the things you consider putting in your bio: availability, topics you're comfortable supporting, general expectations and roles etc. 😄

These provide any member checking your profile out a good idea of your listening style, which makes their decision of a listener easier.

Yay, I love colorful bios! 

KatePersephone January 13th

@AuRewolf

1. What would you put in your bio, so that it is professional? how much time i spend on each chat, whether scheduled or a general chat.

2. What would you avoid putting in your bio? anything overly personal and irrelevant to the member.

3. Are there any confusion with choosing what to put in your bio? If so, what are those? i dont think there really is. everything is very much explained and clear.

Fun question: do you prefer simple text in your bio, or a beautiful bio with boxes or emojis? Do share the reason for your choices!  i like beautiful bios because they are appealing to the eye and make the listener look fun!

Also do tag 3-4 of your 7Cups friends who share your preferences! @Reggaeton @Bunnylovesyou @MollySofia

Bunnylovesyou January 13th

@KateDoskocilova

1. What would you put in your bio, so that it is professional? A little bit about me, plus my roles, how to message me, and my guidelines for chats

2. What would you avoid putting in your bio? Anything too personal, ot my schedule (I got a lot of members messaging me saying "why don't you sleep" :') still happens but idk)

3. Are there any confusion with choosing what to put in your bio? If so, what are those? Nopes, it was very very clear

Fun question: do you prefer simple text in your bio, or a beautiful bio with boxes or emojis? Do share the reason for your choices!  Oh emojis and colors all the way! My bio tends to run a tad longer than your average bio because of roles and such, so colors and emojis make it fun xD

January 15th

@Bunnylovesyou

Hey Bunny! 🩷

I like how you share your guidelines for chats. These give the member an idea of what to expect from you in 1-1 chats.

I understand that sharing your schedule can be personal, because of the members' response. It's perfectly fine not to put something you aren't comfortable sharing, in your bio!

I agree with you on making a long bio pretty using colors and emojis! 😁

January 15th

@KateDoskocilova

Kate! Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insights about bios!

Sharing whether you prefer scheduled or general chats is important, so that you don't get overwhelmed by too many personal chat requests when you're busy.

I agree with you on beautiful bios for the same reason! 😁

Jenna January 13th

@AuRewolf

1. What would you put in your bio, so that it is professional?
    Topics I support, information about my availability, guidance to browse listeners, a very small get-to-know-me paragraph, a reminder we're not a crisis intervention site, a few general guidelines like not sharing off-site, and some expectations for the chat like how long the chat will be, the expectation of respecting boundaries and having appropriate behavior.

2. What would you avoid putting in your bio? 
    Detailed info about me, personal matters, off-site details, religious or political views.

3. Are there any confusion with choosing what to put in your bio? If so, what are those?
    A lot of it is pretty basic knowledge. Though, I do see most new listeners put their detailed past in their bios, so they may not understand why they shouldn't do that.
January 15th

@Jenna

Yes, reminder about guidelines for crisis as well as offsite contact is important! I like that this is a good way of setting boundaries and expectations for member chats.

Also, agree with you on not putting religious and political views in bios. They're a big no-no here.

About new listeners putting their detailed past in their bios, yes they are not supposed to do that, and you're welcome to flag any such bio you come across, so that we can outreach to them to kindly explain why this kind of bio is not okay as per 7 Cups guidelines 😊

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about bios!

Myosotis17 January 14th

@AuRewolf

I would make sure the bio is as accessible and readable as possible for everyone. Avoiding fancy fonts, crazy colours, etc. 

January 15th

@Myosotis17

I agree with you about making bios accessible to everyone stumbling upon it, particularly those with vision issues.

I personally love colors, but I've kept my bio in plain color for ease of reading.

This is a thoughtful idea for bios, and I appreciate you for sharing it! 😊