Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I guess I just don't understand

peacefulforest75 September 4th, 2019

I know we came together through our dream of a united family, and that it was hard for both of us when that dream didn't come true. I had hoped we could work through that heartbreak together, support each other, and potentially even grow closer through it. I don't understand why you pull away when I need you the most. I think maybe you feel failure in my sadness and pain, yet all I want from you is a hug, for you to listen and try to understand. When you withdraw from me, I pull back as well and then neither of us feel fulfilled. You respond by looking outside our marriage to friends and spend even less time with me, whereas I get needy and emotional. Our responses only push each other further away.

I've finally accepted that you just aren't able to provide me with the emotional support I need. You seem hurt and angry that I left, and I'm sad to see you hurting even though I feel so much better without you around. I don't know any way that we could be together and be happy without solving this dynamic, and I don't understand why you don't want to work on that. I wish you the best and I'll try to remember the good times we had together. Even though it didn't work out, I learned a lot about myself and relationships for the future. I hope you can heal and grow from this too.

ASilentObserver September 12th, 2019

@peacefulforest75 hai peace, welcome!

Wow, that was deep. I know how exactly you must be feeling and I guess sometimes it is better to let go things. Sending hugs!

peacefulforest75 OP September 12th, 2019

@ASilentObserver

Acceptance has been helpful. Accepting him the way he is, and not who I thought he was and who I thought I fell in love with. Accepting myself the way I am, my needs in a relationship, and that he won't be able to meet them even if he really does want to make me happy. As I move through this process, I find myself having more empathy for him. I'm sad that he won't be able to have a deep relationship and develop those connections that I see he wants. I'm sad that (it seems) the value he gets from giving comes only from the recognition he gets from others.