Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Recently left the lifestyle...

cyanKite7632 October 29th, 2015

Hey everyone! this is my first time posting in the section, but find it great that this section exists on here.

I recently left the lifestyle because my Dom/husband was using it as an excuse to be excessively abusive. He was the one who introduced me to it, and for the most part I enjoyed it. But the past few years got really bad because he let his other sub (who I was supposed to be alpha over) take over the household and basically tell him how to be the Dom. As a result I was expected to do everything. Work full-time, keep the house spotless, AND be on a strict schedule where every minute of every day was micromanaged. The last 3 years he and I never even slept in the same room and the only time he showed me any kindness was when she wasn't around.

I'm just curious what sort of experiences the rest of you have had with the lifestyle. I love being submissive, but I'm terrified of getting into another bad situation like what I just left. I actually have been diagnosed with severe depression, severe anxiety, and mild PTSD because of what he did. I've also been on medication for it as well.

Is this normal for the lifestyle? What is considered "normal" and what is considered extreme? How does a sub stand up for herself in such a situation where she has been made an omega?

I'm just trying to figure all this out so I don't end up in the same type of situation again.

professionalPerspective60 October 29th, 2015

@cyanKite7632

Hello there cyan and welcome to our community.

I am sorry you have been treated in this way, and I am sorry I can't provide the answers you are looking for, however what I can say "normal" is very different for everyone, and there is no perfect life, we work hard to make our life the best we can.

You have made a brave courageous step because you have made the choice to change your living arrangements to make you happy, which you quite rightly deserve, so I will say this, growth is painful, change is painful, but nothing is as painful as being stuck somewhere where you don't belong, there comes a time in life when you have to cut the negative controlling people who create your unhappiness, out of your life and surround yourself with the people who make you happy, laugh so hard you can forget about the bad stuff and focus solely on the good things which will happen.

No matter how badly people treat you, never stoop to their level, know you are the better person to walk away, rebuild your life and be happy.

I wish you the very best of luck for your new future.

Best wishes ☺

cyanKite7632 OP October 30th, 2015

@professionalPerspective60

Thanks. I really appreciate it. It was very difficult and I'm still trying to figure things out. It's been a hard transition. Thankfully I have a great support system.

professionalPerspective60 October 30th, 2015

@cyanKite7632

I wish you the very best of luck. Stay strong and true to yourself.

fairmindedBalloon6827 October 29th, 2015

Hello Cyankite.

Just some thoughts to share from my personal experience and observations.

While I've never been in a long term Dom/sub relationship, I'm close to a few people who I believe are, and they're relationship set ups vary. Personally I'm into rough play and some extreme kink involving pain. So the relationships I see all have that aspect on some level. I can't define normal and not sure if S&M is always part of the lifestyle you seek.

Basically I hear a lot of talk about building a level of trust and relying on your Dom to not push you to the point of damage, physically or mentally. The sub really has ultimate control as its their limits. The power the Dom has is the power the sub relinquishes.

The issue I see is finding a Dom that truly understand this dynamic and how to make a ltr work on the day to day. Someone to Intelligently and hopefully lovingly explore your boundaries so you both understand what they are. A Dom who will respect and play/live inside those limits, so everyone has their needs met.

My suggestion is to take this time to discover what you expect and need from a Dom, meditate to sort out your desires, make a prioritized list and define your relationship goals. Examine the past and get a better understanding of yourself and where you need to be and don't need to be in the future.

I believe there is an intelligent strong man out their who will cherish the gift of submission and vulnerability that your willing to give. Its a beautiful thing that can be full of love. You deserve to be valued and protected not manipulated and used.

cyanKite7632 OP October 30th, 2015

@fairmindedBalloon6827

Thank you. I do know that I definitely am a submissive and I really do enjoy that role. However, I am still trying to figure out if I want to find another Dom, or go for a vanilla partner instead. There is a Dom I've been chatting with on and off, he knows about my situation and isn't pushing me into anything. Right now he's just being there as a friend to help offer advice since I really don't have any friends in the lifestyle who don't know my (soon to be) ex-husband. It's hard trying to explain things to people who aren't into the lifestyle. That's one of the main reasons I started this thread was to get advice from inside the lifestyle.

I am taking it slow and don't plan on rushing into anything any time soon. At least not until the divorce is finalized.