Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

why am i so distant?

footballorbmo March 22nd, 2023

hello.

i recently realized that i am not that much of a warm-blooded person. i love my friends, but i can never keep contact with them. most of the time, i feel that i don't even belong with my friends that i deem close (even though we do not know a lot about each other). i feel like this with my romantic existence as well. i have not properly felt romantic attraction towards anyone and it feels like my life is a one-person show. i am not even sure I would keep contact with my family if I went away -not because i detest them; I love them very much. I am not good to make small talk to, and I barely initiate and can carry on surface-level conversations. why in the world am i like this? i sometimes feel like a robot incapable of feeling love towards other people.

JerryYao March 25th, 2023

@footballorbmo Bro, you dn't need to worry about that. You clearly aren't a person without emotions right? you stated that in your comment. As so, you can just try to learn a new way to express yourself. Everyone once needed to learn how to talk to people. You can start that with your family. Try discussing interesting things with them and ask more about their feelings. In fact, you should just be more active in communication, and thus your friends will be much more likely to come by you and have more talk to you. And speaking of romance, you just haven't met the right guy. Trust me, when you meet someone in one stage of your life, you will start to be attracted. Hope this helps you!

footballorbmo OP May 11th, 2023

@JerryYao

thank you Jerry, really appreciate it. do you think it would work if I used molded ice-breakers like, "How would chairs work if our knees bent backward?"

JerryYao July 2nd, 2023

@footballorbmo sure it will be very helpful - the most important thing is actually to start. If you dare take a step forward to change the sitaution, it is likely that you will succeed.

jzheng2025 March 26th, 2023

@footballorbmo Everyone has different ways of expressing themselves and their affection. Examples are affection through gifts, acts of service, quality time, physical touch, or words of affirmation. Although all of these types are different, they're all valid. You may not be good at communicating with the people you care about but they can still tell by other things you do. You can also slowly learn how to continue conversations with them if you'd like. Whatever it is you do, I wish you the best of luck.

footballorbmo OP May 11th, 2023

@jzheng2025

thank you man, i appreciate this. sorry, have not been active for a while.