Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Trully loving someone is difficult ...

MySty2 September 16th, 2021

What is the right balance between self respect and unconditionally love?

CaramelLuna920 September 17th, 2021

@MySty2

To be honest, there is no constant value to having the right balance in self respect and unconditional love... It differs from relationship to relationship, situation to situation, and person to person... All you need to know, all I can tell you is that... Be happy, both of you guys... And care for each other... But while keeping boundaries at the same time... I am no one to decide what your boundaries will be, its entirely up to the two of you... Don't worry, I know you can get it!!

I hope my response was understandable and helpful

- Cara

dukeofdearham September 17th, 2021

@MySty2,

self respect is subjective and based on perception.

Unconditional love is being, being your true self, and is there, here and now.

Meaning, they are totally unrelated. Apart from that, there is no such thing as the right balance. Maybe you could elaborate.

CatzInTheCradle September 18th, 2021

@MySty2

What a fantastic question ~ ! Definitely one worth pondering.

I found this article seems to deliver quite an acceptable response:

https://www.verywellmind.com/does-unconditional-love-make-for-healthy-relationships-4165457

In short, the article suggests "Unconditional love" be understood in a more moderate context that is not so extreme as to compromise all of your integrity and self-respect. As for my own thoughts on the subject, if you love yourself unconditionally to begin with, which you ought to be doing, you would intuitively recognize that your own health and self-respect should never be compromised (to the extent that it becomes harmful/toxic) in order to love another "unconditionally" - which to me seems to result in a contradiction.

Wishing you all the best ~ !
CatzInTheCradle