Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Need advice/help

DontForgetTheSunLove May 21st, 2021

I'm falling in love with a man 20 years older than me. It's not a physical thing if your thinking lust, it feels like a in depth "I want to know him better, I want to know when I wake up he's the one by my side."
I doubt he has any feelings for me, and I didn't realize I had feelings for him until one day we were laughing and joking around together and it hit me that I didn't want to lose him, and that I'd never felt like this before about anyone.
I think the biggest problem is that he's my boss./supervisor.
Okay, any advice, what do I do?

Sventek May 21st, 2021

@DontForgetTheSunLove

I'd suggest taking your time, move very slowly. If it's going to grow, hopefully, it's mutual, but be real and aware of your feelings and emotions - mostly with yourself. Infatuation can hit hard and fast, and it's very confusing compared to real love and affection. Be honest with yourself about infatuation, and be sure that it is real and not manufactured in the "honeymoon" phase. That is why I said, take it slowly, because over time -- you both will know the difference.

There are red flags, 20 years your senior means that you both will be on very different planes of thought and upbringing, which CAN cause issues between you, but not always the case. I've known some couples who had such an age gap, but didn't suffer serious consequences and are still together.

The fact you work together can be a complication, but it doesn't need to be. I've known some couples that discovered they had feelings and one of them had to quit, so they could date and make a relationship work. That situation MAY come to you, or depending on what you both do, maybe not.

However, there is a reason why dating someone you work with is such a huge issue -- because if things do not work out between you, then it can become quite awkward at work and that is your income stream, could severely impact you professionally, and financially.

Good luck to the both of you.

DontForgetTheSunLove OP May 21st, 2021

Thank you, I'll take this into consideration.