Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How to start a friendship?

EmeraldForest2006 May 6th, 2023

Hey everyone! I hope you all are having a good day! So there's this kid in my English class and school band who is a really awesome person. They are talented in so many ways, funny, sociable, smart, and just really cool. They are very friendly to people in their circles, and I always see them making others laugh. A while back, one of my best friends left me because of some really complicated stuff that went down that I won't get into right now, and I really want to become friends with this kid in my class. I see them all the time in band and stuff, but I'm too scared to talk to them because I feel like they're too cool for me. I'm just the basic nerd girl who gets good grades in school, but they not only do well in school, but have an interesting, gravitating personality, too. In the past 2 days, I've tried texting them a few times, and it's been going sort of well, but I still have a lot of anxiety around them and don't know how to develop this into a friendship. I tried finding common interests with them, but can't seem to find many.

sunnyWriting4806 May 6th, 2023

@EmeraldForest2006

I think the fact that you've been texting this person is a good start! Making friends can be very daunting especially if you're prone to being shy but all these little step matters. Maybe try talking more through text! Maybe try saying hi to that person once in person. The more the other person notices you the more they'll be able to get to know you better.

EmeraldForest2006 OP May 6th, 2023

@sunnyWriting4806

Thank you so much for the support! I really appreciate it. It's just kind of scary because I don't know what they like but I want to make them happy. They have a lot of friends who are also way cooler than me. And I forgot to mention: that best friend that left me is actually also their friend now. But I know that the kid in my class doesn't know what went on between us because I know my ex-friend would never tell anyone. But I have no idea how to get close to someone who is constantly surrounded by other people who are all really funny and know exactly what to say. No one thinks my sense of humor is funny, and I'm not really good at being interesting.

Crumusic May 7th, 2023

@EmeraldForest2006

Alright, so you are doing really well.

How about you talk about crushes? Sport?

And maybe you find opposites (It's so funny how you're good at this and im not yet we seem to get on alright)

Offer to help, be really nice and if they're an actual good friend they won't mind what you're like even if your "weird" (everyone's weird, including me!). You can do this, go get'em gurl💗

EmeraldForest2006 OP May 7th, 2023

@Crumusic

Thank you for the suggestions and the support! Take good care of yourself, and love your weirdness! :D

Crumusic May 8th, 2023

@EmeraldForest2006

Tell me if it helps! :)