Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

This feels like emotional blackmail

Summershy April 17th

I have been discussing this in the sharing sessions and with some friends....

Over a year and a half ago, a friend disappeared from me for a whole year and a half.    This was not only after I mentioned that  I had an emergency with some tough decisions ahead.  This friend also didn't seem to like what I had to say but was very rude to me by being passive-aggressive. 

Being that I was bothered by it, I confronted her in an email a few months ago.  However, I didn't hear anything back until today.  This was when she tried to re-add me as a friend on her social media.   However, not only did I turn down the request but I said no. 

When she responded, her apology was not very sincere and she gave the "I'll make it up to you" line.  At that point, I set a few more boundaries which she completely dismissed.   Instead, she gave me a few excuses about how she "Lost her phone" and "I guess that I was too focused on my problems. However, I have never considered myself to be a self-centered person." 

Again, I put my foot down and said that she had the option to reach out to social media.  I also said "A bad friend is a bad friend" and a few other things.

Again, she wrote back and apologized by offering to meet me in person.  Believe me, I am down for that.  However, this is where it felt like emotional blackmail and probably gaslighting. 

"From what I am hearing, you think that I am a bad person and you don't like me anymore.  You are also saying that you don't have time for me."

At that point, I acknowledged her apology and agreed that it was a good idea to meet in person.   I also said that I didn't have time.   Then I blocked her. 

Jordan995 May 3rd

@Summershy hey there not to worry about things I'll provide you emotional support to help you feel happy again 

Summershy OP May 6th

I let her go and moved on