Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How do you breakup with a friend you'll be in close proximity with?

depressedCupcake99 June 8th, 2019

There's this girl. We're not really close but we're kinda friends because we have all the same courses at college. But I can't do this kinda-friendship anymore. We often do group projects together (because we don't know any other people) and I always end up doing all the work alone.

She's really negative and always complaining ot worrying. When she's complainig I listen and support her and when she's worried 'm always supportive and tell her "you can do it" "see, you did well" "that's great". I try to cheer her up to my best abilities but I just don't have the energy anymore, especially because she never reciprocates it.

When I'm happy about getting a B in something she just goes "that's not even that good" instead of being supportive. I just don't have the energy anymore, so I want to stop being friends.

The problem is, we have a lot of the same courses and since the group projects cover the whole semester we'll be doing group projects together for another month.

How can I end the friendship when we'll still be seeing each other all the time and doing projects together?

Misty17 June 8th, 2019

@depressedCupcake99 Put your distance slowly. Eventually she will find other friends that she can benefit from. Because if B is not enough for her, she will need support from other people who are good at taking notes etc.

I don't know if I am being harsh... But I had an incident like this recently.

You can still talk to her when you are doing projects but you don't have to encourage her or say positive things to make her feel better. It's just a month, it may be awkward for some time but eventually it will become natural.

I was so down when I realised I was giving myself to my friend and she was just being negative and using me for projects but now, I am grateful. She is not the only person on earth and I found beautiful people who cares about me after this incident. Liberating experience 🤞🏻

Misty17 June 8th, 2019

@Misty17 oh plus, I see her everyday and she was my closest friend at college. You can do it, I promise

depressedCupcake99 OP June 8th, 2019

@Misty17 thanks smiley