Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Feeling the only one that makes an effort.

itssnowinginmarch July 22nd, 2020

Hello guys, this is something that has bothered me a lot lately. Let me start by telling you that I have a small group of friends, but we don't hang out as a group because they all live in different places, so I only see like one of them at the time. Two months ago I broke up with my boyfriends and like four of my friends did the same, so I thought that our friendship was going to be even stronger since we could go out more togheter. Two of them started hanging out with their old group, one is super far away from me and she doesn't work so she is literally living her best summer, one just came back from Argentina and so she is quarantined, the other one moved in with her boyfriend so is basically impossible to go out and do stuff and so on. I swear, everything is crazy.
I feel like I'm the only one doing a real effort in trying to keep my relationships going, mostly of the time I'm the one that drives for hours just to spend some time with one of them (almost all of them own a car, so this means that they can come visit me too, even if I live in a small and boring place). I'm the only one that makes plans, and even if I speak with them everyday sometimes it feels like they don't even care about me that much. Let me help you understand with some examples; I told to one of them that I needed to check my car and the places is near her house, so she was asking me a lot when I was going to check my car so we could hang out (sweet, right? not so much if you think that she has a car too, and that she promised me that she was going to visit me at my place so we could go to the river together). The other one didn't even remember that I was super scared because her car is old and makes some weird noises (and this happened like two weeks ago).
I swear I don't know what to think, sometimes I wish I had a group of friends to hangout all the time, like a lot of people that live near me so I wouldn't have to be the one driving every time. Truth is I don't really have friends that live nearby, or a proper group, and this upsets me a lot because I used to have one in middle school and it was the funniest thing in the world.
What do you think I should do with my friends? Please, help me out because I'm going crazy. And I know that if I keep going on like this I'm going to get so mad that I will isolate myself and that is not what I want (also, depression, hi).
Thank you for any advice and support.

plumBeechwood7549 July 27th, 2020

@itssnowinginmarch

IIBlueII July 27th, 2020

@itssnowinginmarch, Hii! I went through almost the same thing an year ago. I don't have a solution for you and I don't even have anything comforting to say but I just want you to know you are not alone this. I had a huge group of friends which is now down to 2 people barely hanging on to me (actually I am the one who is hanging on to them, but anyway). I had to get transferred to another college after my 7th semester as I got into too much trouble with my professors by standing up for friends. I was also the student association's secretary. I used to tell my professors that my friends are more important to me than my parents. OnceI got transferred I used to cycle around 20kms one way, almost everydayteveryday go to my friends' room and hang out with them. I did this for nearly an year. But they started to leave me out and make plans. Not one person visited me at my place after I got transferred. No texts, no calls. But If I visit or contact them they will look all happy and like nothing is off at all. I didn't realise any of that is a problem untill recently. Now I am just done making efforts. I stopped and no one cared. Now I am just trying to build a new and genuine social circle for myself. Didn't get anywhere with it and things are hard when suddenly you are all alone and you couldn't see anyone you cared so much for reach out to you. But I hope things get better to you and myself as well! Good day!

alexxx12 July 27th, 2020

@itssnowinginmarch hi there! I know how you feel, I went through the same thing weeks ago.

I nave a small group of friends, and the fact that they hang out with other groups has Always bothered me. I even started to reconsider this relationship, because I'm the only one that cares about the group and makes plans. But then I started to see this situation as a lesson: I had the opportunity to spend time alone, know myself better and maybe start spending time with my family and my brother. I suffered from anxiety and depression so I know that it's not easy at all, but letting people go and focusing on oneself it's freeing. Also, I think you should talk with them about this situation and see their reaction. Hope this helps!

Alex🌼

plumBeechwood7549 July 27th, 2020

@itssnowinginmarch

Hi. Reading this post was a blast from the past. I have spent most of my adult life in the exact situation. I live really far and everytime I want to meet anyone I have to travel to them. Except for once a year on my birthday, they never come near my place to meet me. And even that is conditional. So when my life changed and I had to change with it, I stopped meeting anyone because I couldn't travel anymore. But here's the thing. For those to whom it matters I am still in touch with them. We chat or call each other. And for the others I'd rather not be friends with them.

But I'd like to ask to something I wish someone had asked me. Have to tried talking with them about this? Do you think that if you tell them how you feel the situation will change? And are you comfortable talking about this directly with them?

And I completely understand the fact that you would like to have friends who are close to you. Even I have not experienced that. Maybe you can join some group that shares something of you interests? Like If you like to read you could join a book club near to where you live? At least that way you can have some social activity close to home.

I hope you feel better soon. And I completely understand how frustrating all this can be.