Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

how long is long enough before you say i love you

sillycritter November 5th, 2022

i thought it was normal to say i love you when you get into a relationship but i guess not? ive been with my partner for maybe a month and a half (weve also tried dating before + have been friends for 4 or 5 years), and they told me to stop saying 'i love you' so much because "were not at that point yet" which i dont get what that means? i thought i could say i love you whenever since, i do love them but idk. i dont know how long im supposed to wait before saying it and ever since i stopped saying it i feel like we havent been that love-y? to eachother i guess; i used to tell them ily every day but i dont want them to be uncomfy with it, but also i dont know when the right time is

L1ly0ftheValley November 5th, 2022

@sillycritter - There is such a thing as love at first sight, so with that being said, I don't necessarily think a month is "too soon." Honestly, you cannot help who you fall in love with; unfortunately, it seems like your partner doesn't feel the same way. They may just need more time. I wish the best of luck to you both. :)

sunnyWriting4806 November 5th, 2022

@sillycritter

I think it really matters from person to person. One person's definition and feeling of love may be different from another's including your partner's. It's a really hard line to draw and I hope you're able to find your own agreed on definition of love with your partner.

dukeofdearham November 5th, 2022

@sillycritter,

there is nothing wrong with telling someone you love that someone.

As long as you do not overdo it like a zillion times a day.

CatzInTheCradle November 6th, 2022

@sillycritter

Different people have different expectations and criteria for what ‘Love’ actually is to them. Many young people have multiple relationships with different people and think they were in love with each partner at the time , but when they look back on those relationships when they are older they will usually conclude they didn’t actually love most/all of their partners. This is because our understanding of ‘love’ is constantly growing and developing with our own emotional intelligence, which depends in part on our experience with relationships.

Maybe he sees Love as a huge commitment. Maybe he wants to be absolutely sure of his feelings before he wants to tell a girl that he loves her. He might be the kind of person to move slowly, and cautiously, to analyse and evaluate his emotions, to move at his own pace and only when he has a high degree of certainty, he would rather make a right decision rather than a rash decision under pressure.

He could have told you that he loves you in response to you saying it, but would you rather he said it without meaning it? If he isn’t in love with you right now would you still prefer that he lied and told you he is in love with you when he’s not…?

And when we do tell people that we love them, that sometimes does create a pressure to reciprocate. Hence why he might have felt uncomfortable with you saying it, because it might feel awkward for him if he knows you have an expectation that he will reciprocate when he honestly doesn’t feel at that stage yet in his emotional commitment. And when he withdrew afterwards, that is [possibly] his way of signalling to you that he is concerned you are moving too fast / falling too fast and that the pace at which you are moving in the relationship does not match (with his). He might be trying to encourage you to ‘slow down’ by being less affectionate.

If he’s telling you he’s ‘not at that stage yet’ - that’s the measure that’s important. It’s not about what is ‘normal’ for other relationships. You’re not in a relationship with other people. It’s what he's feeling that is important, and what he’s communicating to you.

I hope this helps! Wishing you all the best.

CatsInTheCradle

sillycritter OP November 6th, 2022

@CatzInTheCradle
that actually explained it really well ty!