Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Time waster?

modestNorth5571 November 7th, 2022

Right now I want to talk about the feeling of wasting my time. I have been with my boyfriend for almost a year. I understand that it's still a young relationship, but he talks of having children with me, and yet he hesitates when I then bring up that I want to be married first. Sometimes he says things like, "that's the end goal," and other times he says, "we'll see how everything goes." He is getting the milk for free; we sleep together, and I practically live with him (I am here all the time, but I rent an apartment space elsewhere). I do almost all his housework. He says a lot that he loves me and that I'm "the most beautiful woman" in the world or that he's ever met. I don't trust that he will marry me. I am going to be 28 soon, and yes, I am still young, but I am so tired of lip service from guys. What are your thoughts?

November 7th, 2022

@modestNorth5571 Hi. It sounds like a frustrating situation. Why not have a discussion with him about what needs to be in place before marriage is a real possibility. By what date would it be a good time to be engaged? He may want children with you in theory. He may be saying “let’s see how it goes” because he really doesn’t want to commit at this time. If he is unsure, then maybe he shouldn’t say things to lead you on. If he is not sure, are you ok with that? You can ask without pushing it to much. You’re 50 percent part of the relationship, so you should be able to express your desires, and let him express his.

modestNorth5571 OP November 7th, 2022

Thank you for the advice. It is appreciated.