Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How to Know What’s Right for You When Choosing an SO

conscientiousPeach2999 October 25th, 2021

Hello all.

This is a topic I want to open for open discussion. I’ll start with a little of my personal experience and then state the questions.

I grew up with a lot of guidance from my mom because I’m inherently a pretty naive person. With certain big decisions, I start thinking of all different possibilities and tend to be indecisive.

I feel like when you’ve grown up with frequent guidance from parent(s), it’s hard to know what YOU are and what YOU value and what YOU want from an “I” perspective.

In the past few years I’ve been wanting to have more independence in my life. Imagining how I’d like to be happy, assuming I was living completely on my own.

I prefer to keep details of my love life to myself…

But say you have a couple or multiple people in mind whom you like and they like you back.

My question is, when you’re thinking about a serious relationship with someone, how do you determine who’s better for you in the long run?

I’ve taken values quizzes before but they all seem unreliable because I feel like on different days or based on the day, my values change.

There’s also the importance of my relationship with my family that concerns me too. When it comes to supposedly if I want to take a step(s)/ decisions that my family would not approve of/respect/like.

Would you say it takes experience to know who’s better for you? Or is this something you should already know/sense inside about who’s better for you?

Cain96 October 25th, 2021

I think you have to just give some people a chance. Imagine someone searching for a new bed/mattress, but they don't know what kind they want. They would have to try out different styles, firmness, sizes, etc. No one knows what their favorite flavor of ice cream is until they try it. And obviously people vary wildly in personality and behavior. On paper, the pro's and con's of one person may be more appealing than the other. But you won't know if you like living with them until you live with them.