Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Balancing Independence and Togetherness

KatePersephone August 19th

The ability to maintain a healthy balance between independence and togetherness is what is required in every relationship, be it friendship or loving relationship, and even within families. Independence means being able to exist and live as an individual, follow interests, and make decisions that best suit core values. On the other hand, togetherness means creating the bond between the two through shared experiences and quality time together with emotional support for each other.

Some common problems in balancing independence and togetherness can be

1. Loss of identity: Most commonly, the problem will be that too much time together, or simply paying too much attention to the relationship, is going to lead to loss of identity. People are really afraid that with a too-enmeshed partner or friend, they will become dependent—thus losing touch with their goals, needs, or even just themselves.

2. Communication issues: Misunderstandings can sometimes develop in the personal desires of the other about space or connection. If one needs more independence and the other needs more togetherness, without clear communication, this may create tension and plant seeds of resentment.

3. Different expectations: When commencing a relationship, people have different expectations for how time is to be spent—apart versus together. One might expect to always communicate daily and engage in lots of activities together; the other might prefer spending more time on his own, giving personal space. Hence, problems may arise.

4. Fear of abandonment: Some may fear that too much independence will make the other emotionally distant or that it will finally bring to an end the whole relationship. This fear makes them hold on more tightly to togetherness, and therefore let the other person drift away.

5. External pressures: Societal expectations, cultural means, or peer pressure may sometimes dictate what amount constitutes "normal" togetherness or independence within a relationship. Such pressures can lead an individual to confusion or stress if they feel that the dynamics of their relationship are not meeting those external standards.

6. Definition of relationship balance: Balancing independence and togetherness is a lot more challenging in a couple who shares responsibilities like raising children and managing finances. Daily demands can often make it hard to find the time to spare for individual pursuit as well as precious relationship-building moments.

Some ways to balance independence and togetherness are:

1. Support personal growth: Each of you respects the other's personal goals and interests. This generates personal growth and will enrich your relationship as you bring new experiences and new perspectives into it. You celebrate together the triumphs and allow space for individual pursuits.

2. Establish boundaries: Be upfront about your personal space needs, and respect your partner's space. This will avoid feelings of suffocation or negligence and help in trusting each other.

3. Prioritize quality time together: While independence is important, one cannot avoid nurturing the connection. Provide time for shared activities and build up rituals that are tacked onto your relationship bond.

4. Communicate: Get into the habit of regular check-ins about your relationship dynamics. This will keep you clear of misunderstandings and help to make adjustments along the way by discussing your needs for independence and togetherness. 

Questions to engage in the discussion:

What is your way of balancing independence with keeping important people in your life close to you at the same time?

What strategies do you think are most successful in ensuring that both the partners in a relationship feel equally respected and supported while also having freedom to pursue their interests?

Are you new to the Relationship Stress community? Introduce yourself here!

Do you want to be the first to get updates on discussions and events? Consider joining the taglist!

Do you want to be updated on the weekly discussions in the Relationship Support Room? Subscribe to this thread!

Do you want to help out in the Relationship Stress Community? Consider becoming a forum supporter or a room supporter!

Clio9876 August 23rd

@KatePersephone

What is your way of balancing independence with keeping important people in your life close to you at the same time?

A friend persuading me to redo an attachment style questionnaire helped me. My attachment style had changed from avoidant to anxious and this helped me see my relationship with my partner in a different light. My need for space has become a need for closeness, while my partner still needs more space. Now I can see the reason for the conflict, it is less stressful, and I panic less when I feel an increase in space.

communicativePond1728 August 23rd

@KatePersephone

Awareness, acceptance and action. Meditation. CBT or ACT therapy or YouTube videos.

What strategies do you think are most successful in ensuring that both the partners in a relationship feel equally respected and supported while also having freedom to pursue their interests?

Practice, patience, progress. Communication. Empathy. Self care routines and rituals. Prioritization.

cloudySummer August 23rd

I don't really keep important people close to me, I'm happy when I can do things on my own and often feel cornered when I can't and someone wants to be around. But I still need to provide some amount of socializing to be at least acceptable. For some reason, it still works, but that's most likely not my own accomplishment.

My needs also change a lot, in phases. Current phase is 'I'm busy, stay away and let me do my thing, so at some point, I can relax enough again to tolerate you'.

I don't think it's possible, without each one temporarily giving up on their wishes and feeling bad. So that's what I do, and the kind of tolerance I expect from the other.

Gettingbettertoday August 23rd

@KatePersephone

Purple is not a pleasant color to read in huge paragraphs. Accents are fine but so much hurts the eyes. 

KatePersephone OP August 23rd

@Gettingbettertoday changed the colors. hope its better now ^^

Gettingbettertoday August 23rd

@KatePersephone

So much easier on the eyes.