Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Digital Detox: The benefits and challenges of taking breaks from social media.

KatePersephone September 23rd

Taking breaks from social media have a lot of benefits to us, our mental health, and our ability to handle life overall. However, there can also be some challenges we encounter whilst taking a break.

What are some benefits and challenges of taking breaks from social media for you?

This post is part of the Self-care Awareness Month Event.

Are you new to the Relationship Stress community? Introduce yourself here!

Do you want to be the first to get updates on discussions and events? Consider joining the taglist!

Do you want to be updated on the weekly discussions in the Relationship Support Room? Subscribe to this thread!

Do you want to help out in the Relationship Stress Community? Consider becoming a forum supporter or a room supporter!

Heather225 September 23rd

@KatePersephone

ooh i am so happy to see this topic up for discussion!

Heather225 September 23rd

@KatePersephone

social media will suck you in and can so easily influence your life and even take control of it. in small doses and/or in the right mindset, it's the best thing to ever happen (to me) to keep me connected and creative and inspired. too much of it however or focusing on all the little things that upset me about it causes way more stress on top of my real life so i take frequent breaks, knowing that the "fear of missing out" never really happens to me. it's kind of an illusion. but it's hard! you gotta strike the balance and you have to listen to yourself and be kind to your well-being. nothing is worth the consequences of eroding your mental health and making you lose sight of what really matters.

KatePersephone OP Saturday

@Heather225 very true, H! too much social media can vry easily become unhealthy and addictive.

MateoGR September 24th

I think having digital boundaries with the people thay might influence your feelings can be a good idea too

KatePersephone OP Saturday

@MateoGR indeed, Mateo!