Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Recently Divorced and Having Anxiety about Moving On

Leos7 August 20th, 2022

I was in my first serious, long term relationship of 3 1/2 years. We got married last November and then 4 months later she wanted a divorce because I wasn’t able to let go of things from her past and said I never changed after she asked me to for the last couple of years. At the beginning of our relationship, she was still talking to her exes as friends, even though she was told by other people that her exes still had feelings for her. It bothered me at the time and I let her know about it and she still continued to talk to them. I let it go because I trusted her, but it always say in the back of my mind. When we would go out to bars with her friends, we’d always run into guys she did stuff with in the past and I would kind of be brushed to the side and never introduced as anything. She was very popular in high school and was known for being promiscuous and flirtatious with guys. I was the first girl she was ever with and she claimed that she had always told herself that she was really gay when she was in high school. During our relationship I would point out when she was being flirtatious with other guys and she eventually saw it herself and changed that, but at that point I had become insecure in myself with so much I had let go at the start of our relationship. Images of her past weighed on me and thinking of her with her exes would haunt my thoughts and led to a lot of fights that I caused. I tried talking to others about my problem because it didn’t feel normal, but was never successful in changing in the ways I should have. Ultimately, this was the reason for the divorce and I only blame myself. It’s been over 6 months now since we separated and I carry the guilt with me around and don’t feel worthy enough to be with anyone ever again with the fear that the same thing may happen no matter how much I work to actively change. It was also damaging to me that, a week before she ended things, she literally told me she was never going to leave me. Within 24 hours of her saying she wanted a divorce, I was kicked out of the house and had to find a place to stay. And within a week of her saying she wanted a divorce, she didn’t want to see or speak to me ever again, and we haven’t since. She refused to give me any kind of closure because it would’ve been a conversation that was going to benefit me and make me feel better and I just feel very unresolved. I have a fear of even trying to move on because I thought I knew who I was with and she completely changed in such a short amount of time, so it makes it scary that anyone I’m with again could just switch up on me like that. I don’t know how to maneuver through these feelings

innateJoy9602 August 21st, 2022

@Leos7

Hello!

I’m very sorry that you’re experiencing anxiety about moving on.

Its understandable to experience these emotions after a break-up from a serious relationship. Let yourself feel them and then try to heal step by step<3

We’re here for you<3 🌿🌺

patientSail4424 August 25th, 2022

I have mixed thoughts about those who keep exes as friends. Usually they keep them as backup in case the other relationship doesn't work out (for emotional or physical support) but that's just my observation. The most painful thing to realize is the amount of time that is lost. It's a hard fact to swallow but on that you might need to. I find relationships (sorry to say this) don't hold out like they used to. "Till death do us part." Means nothing in vows. We as a society need to instill in our kids and young adults that others are worth fighting for and that it's easy to give up on a person. Relationship ARE work. It's not one person is doing the work and the other person is benefitting and leaves when times get hard. It's staying when the times are hard and seeing each other through the good and the bad, the ugly and the beautiful. That is TRUE love. And if you need to keep searching for that kind of love - the kind that doesn't leave you so easily, then you must keep searching. Be kind to yourself. Make sure that your relationship is strong enough to weather all the times ahead. You're going to be alright soldier.

Leos7 OP August 28th, 2022

I am just now seeing this, but it made me tear up… I really believed that when we got married, “For better or for worse” meant just that, but to her I guess it didn’t. It’s hard for me to fathom how easily she cut things off when her former exes treated her a lot than I did.. It’s hard for me to fathom that the love wasn’t genuine or true at all either.. I’m still learning to navigate through the grief of all of this, but thank you so much for your kind words. I’m happy there are people like you in the world who sees that relationship are work too

barncat August 30th, 2022

@Leos7- reading through your description it sounds like she wants LOTS of attention from others. And this was demonstrated during your entire time together. Her insecurity is not your problem or a reflection on you. Take heart in the fact she needs validation by flirting with exes and other men. I was married to a man who constantly cheated. Not my problem. You are worthy of being with someone who cares for you. Love and relationships are ever changing and a lot of committment. Best of luck to you.

Leos7 OP August 31st, 2022

Wow. This very much hit home for me. Thank you so much for your response. It honestly made me feel better to hear all of that. I had seen it happen a lot in the relationship and I pointed out when it would happen because it made me uncomfortable. It’s also where my own insecurities stemmed from and where I became controlling. Not saying that I’m not at fault for my own words and actions, because I am. But I see a lot of reasons where my own behaviors and actions came about