Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

No one talks about the pain when YOU break up with someone.

amberm824 May 21st, 2017

Anybody have stories about breakups they initiated and what they went through? I feel like I'm going through an emotional roller coaster with this break up even though I initiated it. Will things ever stabilize?

damselinthisdress May 24th, 2017

@amberm824
Hey Amber. Although I've never broken up with someone, I can tell you're going through a tough time. We're here to support you throughout. And yes, things will stabilise with time. Stay strong! *hugs* :)

renee1627 June 9th, 2017

Hi - I'm new so bear w me if I don't know all the rules and lingo.

I left my husband of 8 years (together 10) in February. He's a good person, bad partner. We were good at fun stuff, not at real life and family...which is incredibly, incredibly important to me. He was more into career and extracurriculars (bands, volunteering, etc.) The tension got terrible - I wanted him to be something he either can't or won't. I just left one day - not intending to, never planned.

That was months ago and he's never said a word about our relationship. He never said he loved me, or asked me to work or stay, he just let me go. The up side is that he has COMPLETELY stepped up as a father and done many of the things I begged him to do for years. So, my kid has a better dad, which is great. And I don't want a bad, neurotic, neglectful, selfish partner back.

BUT, I can't figure out how to move on since he won't talk to me. I can't find closure. I need to find a way to stop being angry and hurt and move forward, because I'm not going to get that from a conversation with him. We're amiable and working well together for our kid. We're almost friendly. I've asked to talk about it a couple of times and he just says he can't or refuses.

How do I find closure? How do I move on?

SHEAINTGOTNOSHOES June 10th, 2017

@renee1627Perhaps after your divorce is finalized or he meets someone else, he may be willing to talk a bit about the past, then you can close that door and move forward in whatever direction your heart tells you to go.

FadingStarDust June 10th, 2017

When you break up with someone you saw a beautiful bright future with, it hurts. It hurts both you both mentally and physically. You can literally feel your chest cave in and your lungs slowly filling up with a numbness you can't really describe.

But you know what? It doesn't last forever. The pain slowly recedes, you get better but for that to happen you have to let it out of your system completely first. Cry it out, scream it out, write it on a paper and burn it or do anything you can to make yourself better but don't hurt yourself. Don't hurt yourself for someone who didn't bother to value your existence, it's not worth it.

Once it's all out, it's a new beginning. Do what you love. It gets better.