Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Life is great … should I divorce?

tallLand8630 July 10th, 2022

Hi community,

Help needed! My life is great right now from a professional point of view. I have a rather good job but not much development opportunity in the day job. I have worked in building a startup and we just got proper funding based on a x mill. company valuation! However, my wife is not supportive at all in anything I do. We are living abroad and for me to go full time with my startup, I need to quit my job and say goodbye to my health insurance for the family. I have asked my wife to contemplate getting a corporate job (She got masters degree but hasn’t worked since the birth of our first kid almost a decade ago!!).

I wake up every morning at 6am to cook lunch, make breakfast and sometimes prep ingredients for dinner. Then drive kids to school. My wife will pick them up at school and drive them to activities. I’m home 7pm, eat dinner together and putting kids to bed by 9:30pm. Wife will keep to herself and possibly sit on the sofa at 11pm until we go to bed.

I feel like a ghost in my own life. My dreams have materialized but my wife generally ignores me, gaslight me or doesn’t acknowledge me.

Should I divorce?

dukeofdearham July 10th, 2022

@tallLand8630,

maybe by pursuing your dreams you have neglected your wife. Maybe she wants you simply to love her, to be there for her.

Maybe it is time for you to change. Make time for her. Go do things together when the two of you were in love. Focus on that and I mean, focus on that. If not, then you are heading straight to a divorce. Is that what you want?

tallLand8630 OP July 10th, 2022

You might be right. I have tried arranging dates but been rejected. I have asked for alone time with her. I have gotten the cold shoulder. She rather go shopping alone then spending time with me.

I am trying.

barncat July 14th, 2022

@tallLand8630- Maybe your wife is afraid of getting back into the work force, or feels let down because now you want her to be employed. Being home with the children for the last 10 years could have had a big impact on her self esteem and image. She may also be fearful if your venture is not successful. Then address the health of your relationship - have you considered couples counseling? Divorce is a life altering decision, especially with children involved. Best of luck to the two of you.