Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Grieving from a Particularly Rough Break Up

intellectualSquare829 March 17th, 2021

I'm slowly moving on from a relationship, but it really hurts to know how it ended. I still want my ex to come back, but I have to be honest with myself that I am never going to see her again.

She has multiple mental illnesses and broke up with me citing her inability to handle her mental illness out of the blue less than a day after telling me how she saw me in the future. She broke up with me in a text, which normally would be a cruddy thing to do, but I know it has to do with her emotional health than anything else.

I just feel like I am grieving the person I am losing to their mental illnesses and the relationship. She doesn't want to keep in contact after mentioning wanting to be friends. Given the circumstances and who she is as a person, I thought she was serious about it. I love her unconditionally and would have put aside my feelings to be there as a friend, even if it meant we would never be a couple.

I am just confused and sad.

WaitingOnSpring March 17th, 2021

My two most recent long term relationships were with women with mental illness. One I was married to for 13 years the other just ended after 2 and a half. The first one in my opinion couldn't be saved but I still feel the most recent one could. But mental illness does terrible things to people and while many of us love unconditionally, the person suffering often can't love themselves enough to try again or to even face their problems. This isn't your fault and there is little that you can do. The realization that there is nothing you can do will eventually give you comfort that you made your best effort. We can't change people. They have to want to change themselves and get help. I know I tried so hard to balance out my most recent exes highs and lows. But the lows came too often and the highs brought challenges that I never expected. Lending the olive branch and offering friendship is often too much for these people and I too now suffer from being blocked from her life. Her friends however keep in contact with me as they also acknowledge that this is her doing and her wrongs that she needs to fix. Don't spend time holding hope for her for too long. Save that hope for yourself. You need that hope that you will find someone who loves you as much as you love them. The fact you are sad means you loved them and you were doing the right things. You will love again. Take care.

intellectualSquare829 OP March 17th, 2021

I know you are right. I just wish that things were different. I know she’s getting help, but I doubt she will ever be stable enough to be a partner to someone.

WaitingOnSpring March 17th, 2021

I feel that statement. My exes friends feel the exact same way about my ex. Within a week of the breakup she was already looking to replace me and according to her friends was terribly upset with herself and her situation. It sometimes hurts to be right and I know I am still hurting from it. Even her mom still talks to me... Some people can't be saved. :(