Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Reading&Writing issues

VioletSurvival0 December 11th, 2023

Hello

So since my depression got worse, I couldn't finish reading any books for years now. The same with writing, I have many many ideas but something always makes me get stuck and quit writing.

Has anyone faced something similar before? How did you deal with it?

JollyRacher December 18th, 2023

@VioletSurvival0

Personally, I only quit writing once before and that's because I got bullied a lot for it. The thing I feel about writing is, it's a journey. Do I write every single day, no I don't. Some days you just don't feel like it, and that's okay. Having time off from writing is good sometimes, because it gives you fresh eyes and time to cultivate your thoughts and ideas. It may also depend on your reason for writing. I write because it's fun and it helps me express myself clearly. Getting stuck or having writers block is a part of the gig, it doesn't make you bad writer or that your ideas suck. It just means you're having trouble conveying what's in your mind onto paper or computer. I don't know if this helps, but I see writing like exercise. Do I workout every day, no. Are there days I will slip up, yes. However, if I keep hitting the gym and get back up after getting knocked down and eating healthy, eventually I will see results. 

VioletSurvival0 OP December 27th, 2023

@JollyRacher

Oh I am so sorry to hear you have been bullied over writing, that's so stupid. In case it worths anything, but for me those who writes are an admirable and fascinating souls. I am sure you are one of these souls Jolly! 

Thanks for your precious words my dear and for sharing of your experience to help another suffering person, I highly appreciate you encourgment. I promise to keep hitting the gym, the keyboard, the books and the notebooks until I see results. 

Keep writing, hoping one day you will manage to puplish something with your name :)

JollyRacher December 31st, 2023

@VioletSurvival0

I'll hold you to that Violet, next time I see you I better see some muscles! 💪 

We're going to reach our goals and achieve our dreams!

sadcat13 January 11th

@VioletSurvival0 what leads you to not read or write? Do you have any thoughts about it or expectations you put on yourself that make it feel so hard?

VioletSurvival0 OP January 31st

@sadcat13 No, I just feel it's heavy, my heart is heavy! 

emotionalBanana3178 January 31st

Honestly, I dont write in a long while, mainly because i have other interests right now. But I think something you could try is taking one of those ideas and turning it into something smaller, something you could write as flash fiction (around 400 words or so) or as a poem. If your idea seems too ambitious for such a format, either focus on the broad picture, then you can write a longer and more detailed version afterwards, or choose one detail of that idea and flesh it out in that flash fiction piece.

If you write one of these shorter texts every day, something which might be easier to manage, you will feel more rewarded. Try to break down your work into smaller, simpler subtasks. It will be lighter for you.

emotionalBanana3178 January 31st

Also, perhaps you might want to do some automatic writing exercise before starting to write if your heart feels heavy. It could help you vent out. Maybe you could use speech recognition, it might be faster and easier.

sadcat13 January 31st

@VioletSurvival0 i see. In that case, i would suggest you start writing a journal. It is both a great thing as it connects to writing, and it helps you organise your thoughts. But the ideas of our other responding cups friends are also very nice, and maybe you could try some of that?

Dips1 July 6th

@VioletSurvival0

take it slow, dont be hard on yourself