Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Book Reading/Discussion: House Rules

ReadBooks7 May 4th, 2023

Hi everyone! I'm writing to see if anyone is interested in reading the book House Rules by Jodi Picoult and then having a discussion about it via this thread?

@adventurousBranch3786

adventurousBranch3786 May 4th, 2023

@ReadBooks7. Yes thanks for the notification 😊.

ReadBooks7 OP May 4th, 2023

@adventurousBranch3786 you are welcome 😊

ReadBooks7 OP May 8th, 2023

@adventurousBranch3786 I'm trying to think of a few more people who might want to join and then tag them. I might ask around a bit. Feel free to tag anyone you think might be interested. I'm also good if it just ends up being the two of us reading this one🙂I read it a while ago but don't remember any major details, just that I could not put it down.

adventurousBranch3786 May 8th, 2023

@ReadBooks7. If I can think of someone I’ll tag them 😊.

ReadBooks7 OP May 8th, 2023

@adventurousBranch3786 sounds good, thank you!

@Cancun, are you interested in this one, or know anyone who might be? 😊

Cancun May 8th, 2023

I'll pass on this one. A little busy right now.

ReadBooks7 OP May 12th, 2023

Hi everyone! I'm ready to start reading this one whenever you are🙂No rush. Would you like to begin this weekend, or maybe by early this coming week?

adventurousBranch3786 May 12th, 2023

@ReadBooks7 I may start reading the beginning of next week. I didn’t make it to the library this week but should be getting it soon 😊.

ReadBooks7 OP May 12th, 2023

@adventurousBranch3786 sounds great! I already have my copy from when I read it a while ago, so I can start anytime :) I hope you have a relaxing weekend!

ReadBooks7 OP May 15th, 2023

I think I'll be ready to begin reading this within the next couple of days 🙂I hope everyone has a good start to their week!

adventurousBranch3786 May 15th, 2023

@ReadBooks7 I plan to be starting in a few days too.

ReadBooks7 OP May 15th, 2023

@adventurousBranch3786 sounds great! I look forward to reading and discussing😊

ReadBooks7 OP May 18th, 2023

@glowingPond 😊

glowingPond May 18th, 2023

Thank you for the tag! :)

@glowingPond you're welcome! I'm going to start reading the book in the next couple of days. I had thought I would have already started, but my week has been busier than expected 🙂

glowingPond May 18th, 2023

@ReadBooks7 I think I will be able to start reading it beginning of June, my MIL will be in town for the next couple of weeks! :)

@glowingPond that sounds great! I will likely begin in the next couple of days, but with my schedule lately, it might take me a while to complete. I hope you have a nice visit!

adventurousBranch3786 May 19th, 2023

@ReadBooks7. I didn’t start yet either. I’ll probably start this weekend. I am looking forward it the story sounds interesting.

ReadBooks7 OP May 19th, 2023

@adventurousBranch3786 I think I might start today or tomorrow. The story is fascinating and so suspenseful. I read it a while ago and do not remember the details at all, just that it was so good I could barely put it down. Luckily, I had time to read it straight through then; this time, it will take longer. I really hope you enjoy it!

adventurousBranch3786 May 20th, 2023

@ReadBooks7 I started reading today. I like this type of novel that gives the inner thoughts of the characters.

ReadBooks7 OP May 20th, 2023

@adventurousBranch3786 good, I'm so glad you like it! I'm really looking forward to discussing this one 🙂

glowingPond June 11th, 2023

@ReadBooks7 I am almost done!! I had to get the audiobook (it's exactly the same as the actual book, I checked to make sure lol) because I did not have time to sit down and read... But I am almost at the end!!! 😍

ReadBooks7 OP June 11th, 2023

@glowingPond great! I hope that you have been enjoying! 😊Please let me know once you finish, and then maybe by then a couple of others will have. I am really excited to discuss the book!

glowingPond June 11th, 2023

I think I’ll be done tomorrow!! I’m really enjoying it :)

ReadBooks7 OP June 11th, 2023

@glowingPond I am so glad to hear!

AffyAvo May 18th, 2023

Too far out from the library here, but I'm interested in joining these types of things in general 😊

@AffyAvo sounds great! I can tag you in future posts if you like 🙂 This is the second book discussion post I've done, and I really enjoy discussing and getting everyone else's perspective.

ReadBooks7 OP May 24th, 2023

Hi everyone! I just started reading the book, and I'm just checking in to see how you all like it so far, if you've had a chance to start🙂

adventurousBranch3786 May 24th, 2023

@ReadBooks7. I started the book also. It’s interesting to see inside the lives of these characters. I’m enjoying it so far.

ReadBooks7 OP May 24th, 2023

@adventurousBranch3786 I'm glad you are enjoying it! I like how she writes from several different character perspectives.

ReadBooks7 OP May 27th, 2023

Hi everyone! I'm really enjoying this book. It's a long one, but I'm moving through it, as it's a bit difficult to put down. I hope you are all enjoying it as well, or that you do when you begin!🙂

adventurousBranch3786 May 27th, 2023

@ReadBooks7. I have read up 280 already but I still have a long way to go!

ReadBooks7 OP May 27th, 2023

@adventurousBranch3786 I think you are right around where I am 😊I hope to get a bit more done right before I sleep or tomorrow.

ReadBooks7 OP May 30th, 2023

Hi everyone! I have completed the book! I just couldn't put it down and took time to read whenever I could get a break. I'm just letting everyone know. I am free to discuss it whenever, but I want to make sure that everyone has plenty of time to finish, so no rush. I hope you are enjoying it!

adventurousBranch3786 May 30th, 2023

@ReadBooks7. Hi I am up to page 380 but I can discuss with you up to that point.

ReadBooks7 OP May 30th, 2023

@adventurousBranch3786 what do you think of it so far? I do not want to spoil the ending or anything that happens, so all I will say for now is that I love the character development and how she keeps switching between different characters (it works well for pacing, too), and it had me on the edge of my seat the entire time I was reading.

adventurousBranch3786 May 30th, 2023

@ReadBooks7. Yes I like the different characters. It’s interesting to use a character with ASD and to learn about what they and their family go through. I believe That I heard on the news where someone actually got shot by the police for not “responding appropriately “. There have been other cases with some bad results for people with mental illnesses as well. So I like how the author works this into the novel.

‘I am hoping that Emma will get together with the lawyer at the end of the book. I have an idea of what happened but I’m not sure if I should say or just wait until I finish reading.

ReadBooks7 OP May 31st, 2023

@adventurousBranch3786 Jodi Picoult always researches her books extensively, so I agree, I think it's really interesting to read about a perspective I'm not familiar with that is written so well. I think some departments have enacted special training so that people with ASD, mental health issues, etc., are treated respectfully and safely, as a result of some really unfortunate incidents.

I really like most of the characters in this book, and Oliver might be my favorite.

adventurousBranch3786 May 31st, 2023

@ReadBooks7 I like him too. He gets along well with Emma’s kids. So I am just hoping for a happy ending 😊. I think that the police officer likes her too. I suppose that would be more difficult for them to get together after what he did to them.

ReadBooks7 OP June 1st, 2023

@adventurousBranch3786 the police officer, I feel mixed about. I know he has to do his job, but he was underhanded, and he should have been more careful and considerate of Jacob's ASD. I think he's a good person, though, just not trained enough, which shows a lack of awareness in departments and other places everywhere. I won't give away anything about the ending. It's worth the read💚