Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Book Discussion of Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

ReadBooks7 September 26th, 2023

Date of Post: September 26, 2023

Date to Begin Book: Around October 1, 2023

Hi everyone! This post is for anyone who is interested in reading and discussing Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. Please check out an online synopsis if you would like more information before deciding. I am going to tag people who have expressed interest in the book discussions before. Please let me know if you would like to be removed from the tag list. Please also feel free to tag anyone else. I look forward to reading and discussing!

@adventurousBranch3786 @MeaningfulSilence @OneErased @glowingPond @AffyAvo @ThadSterling @svobodovaa @shyCat542 @Gwynifyr @Cancun @intuitiveAvocado6068

ReadBooks7 OP November 8th, 2023

***Spoiler alert***

Question Five from the back of the book:

"Peter was a victim of bullying for twelve years at the hands of certain classmates, many of whom repeatedly tormented him. But he also shot and killed students he had never met or who had never done anything wrong to him. What empathy, if any, did you have for Peter both before and after the shooting?"

adventurousBranch3786 November 8th, 2023

@ReadBooks7.   Spoiler alert ‼️ 

I did feel empathy for Peter. I could see how someone might want revenge after what he went through, especially after the computer/cafeteria incident. I would prefer someone to find a different way of fighting back. I can’t condone what he did. I don’t understand why he would victimize people who weren’t his tormentors.

ReadBooks7 OP November 14th, 2023

@adventurousBranch3786 I also felt empathy for him, but I did not believe that his actions were a result of what Jordan claimed in his defense. I think Jordan sincerely believed it, but I do not. I certainly understand why Peter might have felt a compulsion to act out, but he destroyed the lives of completely innocent people. I think that his trauma might have clouded his judgment, but ultimately, I think he knew exactly what he was doing and needed to be held responsible.

That being said, I did feel terrible for him. He was tortured and traumatized, and he really did not have anyone truly there for him. That level of torment could definitely cause a person to act out. However, I just do not think that a person would be so dissociated and disconnected as to not be able to tell right from wrong in this situation. If Peter had went directly after his tormenters only, I might have been a bit more understanding (while still never, ever agreeing with what he did). He had premeditation and intent. What he did is inexcusable. 

Question Six from the back of the book:

"Josie and Peter were friends until the sixth grade. Is it understandable that Josei decided not to hang out with Peter in favor of the popular crowd? Why or why not? How accurate and believable did you find the author's depiction of high school peer pressure and the quest for popularity? Do you believe, as Picoult suggests, that even the popular kids are afraid that their own friends will turn on them?"

adventurousBranch3786 November 14th, 2023

@ReadBooks7. . I found that most of the “popular “ people felt that they were too good and above associating with people that they considered “lesser “.   There may be some people like Josie who worry about fitting in and not harming their status as well.

ReadBooks7 OP November 16th, 2023

@adventurousBranch3786 I think you are right. Josie seemed to me to be the only one in the popular crowd who struggled with feelings of fear of fitting in, at least to the extent she did. I think your assessment of everyone is spot on. I think Josie was deeper intellectually and emotionally than her friends. I didn't like that she pretty much abandoned Peter as they got older, but I think I can understand the pressure she was feeling. More accurately, I guess I can sort of empathize with her, even if I can't understand it from my own perspective. 

Question Seven from the back of the book: 

"Josie admits she often witnessed Matt's cruelty toward other students. Why, then, does it come as such a surprise to Josie when Matt abuses her verbally and physically? How much did you empathize with Josie?"

adventurousBranch3786 November 17th, 2023

@ReadBooks7. I suppose it was a surprise to her because while he was cruel with others she probably thought that he would treat her differently.  It was hard to read about the things Matt did to her. I can’t relate to those things at this time in my life. I can empathize a little from when I was younger and did accept more abusive relationships.

ReadBooks7 OP November 19th, 2023

@adventurousBranch3786 I also think that she would have expected him to treat her better. I don't think anyone really expects that type of treatment in a relationship, and she likely didn't know what to do or have a strong enough self-esteem to walk away. I did sympathize a lot with her because it must have been terrible to be treated like that. I have definitely been put through emotional abuse, and it always seems like a surprise, at least to me. I think we all expect or at least hope our relationships will be gentler.

ReadBooks7 OP November 19th, 2023

Hi everyone! I will continue to post more questions asap. I've been feeling a bit overwhelmed with mental health symptoms, and I have an extra hectic week coming up, so it might be a bit longer than usual. I hope everyone is doing well!

adventurousBranch3786 November 21st, 2023

@ReadBooks7. No worries.There is no rush.

ReadBooks7 OP November 25th, 2023

@adventurousBranch3786 thank you so much 💚

ReadBooks7 OP November 20th, 2023

Hi everyone! I have a few moments, so I am going to post some more of the discussion questions, and I will read and respond to any answers as I have time. This week might be extra hectic for me. I hope everyone is doing well!

Discussion Question 8 from the back of the book:

"Regarding Lacy, Patrick notes that 'in a different way, this woman was a victim of her son's actions, too' (page 53). How much responsibility do Lewis and Lacy bear for Peter's actions? How about Lewis in particular, who taught his son how to handle guns and hunt?"

adventurousBranch3786 November 22nd, 2023

@ReadBooks7. I don’t think teaching him to hunt by itself makes Lewis responsible. I hear that this is a common activity in some areas and most kids don’t do what Peter did. I’m not sure Peter’s parents could have prevented what he did but it might have been helpful if they were more involved in his life. This might sound strange but I actually give some fault to Peters brother. He was very popular and could have easily told the others to leave his brother alone. Instead he joined in with them,

@adventurousBranch3786 your response is really thought provoking, and I had not even considered Peter's brother, but you are right! I feel the same way regarding the hunting and his parents. I think that many responsible people teach their children to hunt and about gun safety and that the vast majority are responsible, moral, and ethical. I think Lewis actually did teach Peter about gun safety and that he handled that situation with care. The hunting and use of a rifle or whatever to hunt, to me, has zero correlation to Peter's actions. 

Lewis and Lacy should definitely have been more involved with Peter on a more emotional level. They are not to be held responsible for his specific actions, but they are responsible for not being better parents. They could have helped him feel better and be better, and while still, his actions are not their fault, it is a gray area in which maybe his actions could have been prevented.

Peter's brother definitely could have helped Peter, set a good example, etc. I actually think I hold Lewis and Lacy more responsible there, though. I feel as though they should have done more as parents to foster a closer connection between the brothers and know about the school interactions. Lewis and Lacy were not involved enough at all in their sons' lives with regard to emotional needs.

adventurousBranch3786 November 26th, 2023

@ReadBooks7. That’s true too the parents could have more involved with the relationship between the brothers.

Question 9 from the back of the book:

"At one point during Peter's bullying, Lacy is encouraged by an elementary school teacher to force Peter to stand up for himself. She threatens to cancel his play dates with Josie if he doesn't fight back. How did you feel when you read that scene? Did you blame Lacy for Peter's later actions because of it? Do you agree or disagree with the idea that it is a parent's job to teach a child the skills necessary to defend [themself]?"

adventurousBranch3786 November 22nd, 2023

@ReadBooks7. I didn’t find Lacy’s actions appropriate . I don’t think threatening to punish a child for not standing up for himself is helpful. I felt upset with Lacy when I read this as well as some other things she did. I can’t say her actions by themselves caused what Peter did. As I mentioned above I felt his brother could have done more to intervene with the bullies. It would be helpful for a parent to teach a child the skills to defend themselves In this case this wasn’t possible because the parents were clueless in my opinion.

@adventurousBranch3786 I couldn't agree more. I felt really ill when I read this part of the book. I just felt that Lacy's handling of it was so inappropriate. She and her husband should have discussed the bullying problem with Peter and come up with ways for him to stand up for himself or to otherwise help resolve the problem. Punishing a child for being bullied is essentially what happened, and I think that added severely to Peter's trauma. Actually, I know I have written previously that I do not really buy into Jordan's defense of Peter (despite thinking that Jordan sincerely believed it), but I do sort of see where Jordan is coming from. Peter was severely traumatized, and people who are severely traumatized do sometimes act in ways that might not seem like self-defense but might be to them. I think this is more of a gray area than I thought. Regardless, Lacy and Lewis should have done a much better job of parenting through a severe bullying situation.

Question 9 from the back of the book:

"Discuss the novel's structure. In what ways do the alternating narratives between past and present enhance the story? How do the scenes in the past give you further insight into the characters and their actions, particularly Peter and Josie?"

@ReadBooks7. I thought it was an interesting way of doing the story. In the past I have read novel that went in order from past to present. I find this way of doing things interesting too. I think the scenes from the past were important for insight into Josie and Peter.

Question 10 from the back of the book:

*spoiler alert*

"When Patrick arrives at Sterling High after the shooting, his 'entire body began to shake, knowing that for so many students and parents and citizens today, he had once again been too late' (page 24). Why does Patrick blame himself for not preventing an incident he had no way of knowing was going to happen?"

@ReadBooks7. I think that sometimes people get guilt for things that were really out of their control . I’m not sure why this happens.

The above should be labeled as Numbers 10 and 11 instead. I am not quite awake this morning😊

Question 12 from the back of the book:

"Dr. King, an expert witness for the defense, states that Peter was suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder as a result of chronic victimization. 'But a big part of it, too,' he adds, 'is the society that created both Peter and those bullies" (page 409). What reasons does Dr. King give to support his assertion that society is partly to blame for Peter's actions as well as for those of the bullies? Do you agree with this? Why or why not?"

ReadBooks7 OP December 4th, 2023

Hi everyone! I have been away on a mini-vacation, so I will post more questions once I am back and have a bit more free time to be online. :)

adventurousBranch3786 December 24th, 2023

@ReadBooks7. Wishing you a Happy holiday season.